Did you ever have an imaginary friend?

When I was a child, it seemed as if ALL of the children I knew had imaginary friends, at some point. They, of course, faded as we all grew up, so I'm not talking about hallucinations or delusions, haha! I've noticed that I hardly ever meet children that have imaginary friends these days. Perhaps... Show More

Most Helpful Guy

• Haha alright I was a bit of an odd kid I guess, so I'm putting myself out there on this one!

I didn't have an imaginary friend in the sense of how you think of imaginary friends. I had friends, who I would imagine often times when I was alone. I would have conversation with them that were more "meaningful"(as meaningful as a kid can get haha) than the conversations they would otherwise be able to provide. But it wasn't just my friends. I would imagine having conversations with people that had died from history like Martin Luther King Jr. I'd imagine having conversations with my favorite actors (which I would have to say in my younger years, Will Smith definitely topped that list).

I would talk about what was going on and their opinion. And that was the oddest part that I definitively remember, sometimes my imaginary friend would agree with what I was thinking/feeling, and other times they would disagree with me. I remember one instance where a friend (real life one haha) had took a favorite toy of mine. I was pretty upset and angry. I asked my "imaginary friend" what they thought, I thought I should steal it back and never talk to that person again. I remember the imaginary friend saying why that was wrong and what I should do instead.

To be honest, I still find myself doing it from time to time. More or less a conversation with myself. Sometimes I find myself challenging myself and other times I just find myself reaffirming the ideas from different points of view. Some people talk to god in trying times, I've found I talk to imaginary people from my past or from the past in general. My best friend died in 08, sometimes I still pretend to have conversations with him now and again, trying to figure out based on everything I knew what he would probably say to me. Drawing from my reservoir of knowledge about the person I imagine, and hoping it can provide me with some answers.

Yep. I'm going anon for this hahaha.

• That's very interesting. I operate similarly, actually :-)

Thanks for answering +1

• I did/do that all the time! Having imaginary conversations with real people that is...