What reason can I give to an insecure boyfriend?

I have been dating my boyfriend for a year and a half, I have known for years, and we've been best friends for the last four years. He recently asked me to marry him, and I have no doubts that I want to spend the rest of my life with him.I have always been a friendly person. Everyone comes to me for advice.My boyfriend is very insecure. A past girlfriend cheated on him and his mother doesn't try to make him feel any better.His aunt tries to get us to break up because I am half Mexican and she doesn't believe in interracial dating.My boyfriend recently told me that he is uncomfortable with me talking to other guys. He says that I have a wonderful personality and guys are drawn to me and he doesn't want to lose me.When I started talking to him about it, he asked me this, "Why would you want to talk to other guys if you want to spend the rest of your life with me?"My dad says that if you talk to a guy for long he will take it as a sign that you like his company. Dad says that all a guy needs is to know that a girl isn't saying 'go away' and he will probably end up liking that girl.He's practicing what he preaches though. He doesn't speak to any girls that aren't related to him. He's fine with me having friends that are girls.I am very small, barely five feet tall, and quiet. He says that he's afraid that I wouldn't be able to protect myself from a guy.My dad says that if you talk to a guy for long he will take it as a sign that you like his company. Dad says that all a guy needs is to know that a girl isn't saying 'go away' and he will probably end up liking that girl.I don't want to be best friends with guys, I just don't feel like its good for our relationship for him to feel like this. The thing is, I have no answer to his question. Any advice would be appreciated.

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Guys Said 2

• Well, to some extent he has to deal with it - you'll have male coworkers, neighbours etc.In some ways your dad is right though. What most women interpret as friendly, men would interpret as flirtatious. The way men interact with women is VERY different from how men treat each other, but not so dissimilar to how women behave with each other.So I'd guess you may need to be more aware of that, and he needs to build a little confidence you only want him.

• Aww. This makes me a bit sad. It reminds me of my life so much. I really don't know what to tell you. I really feel where he's coming from. But my logic is telling me that you should be able to have friends of the opposite sex in a healthy relationship. But my closeness in real life experience tell me to feel for him and take his side. I think you should really look inside yourself and try to find the answer to that question, of why you want male friends... When you find that answer I think you'll find what you need to do.

• In my heart, I know I don't need male friends. I do have one guy friend that he doesn't want me to talk to. I don't have a problem with it, I just don't want us to have trust issues between us.

• Show Older
    • I really hope you work this out... I see myself in his shoes soon. Good luck. Really.=)

• Thanks:) And good luck to you too. Everyone deserves to be happy:)

What Girls Said 0

Be the first girl to share an opinion and earn 1 extra Xper Point!