How to find your REAL bra size at home and ditch Victoria's Secret!

Many of you are probably wondering why I made this post when you could go to the nearest Victoria's Secret and get measured. But many of those stores don't measure properly and will put you in whatever size they have on the rack whether it fits or not.

I'm a 28E and the lady at Victoria secret put me in a 32DDD. I spent years looking frumpy and being uncomfortable. But now with my current job I've found my new bra size and I look thinner, more lifted, and I'm way more comfortable. Those are things all women want from their bras.

Step one: Take of your bra

The best is to go brakes but if your a women with low hanging breasts or a larger chest try wearing a cami or unpadded bra.

Step two: Measuring time

Grab a piece of paper, pencil or pen and tape measurer
First bend forward at a 90 degree angle. Then wrap tape around your back and go to the fullest part of breast. Make sure it's flat again your back and write this down. You do this so all your breast tissue is forward an inter position you want it to be in, in a bra. Now measure directly under your bust once again making sure it's level across your back. Write this down beneath the bust measurement.

Step three: The tricky part
Subtract the under bust from the bust measurement. The numbers of inches difference is your cup size
1in=A
2in=B
3in=C
4in=D
5in=E/DD
And so forth.

Ex) my band is a 28 and my bust is a 33. So 33-28=5.
5 inch difference= E
So I am a 28E

* If your band is in between an even number you can round up or down in the band to find what's most comfortable.

Step four: Does it fit
Let's make sure your bra fits properly!

Does it fit?

I hope this helped and your no longer sitting around with bras that don't fit.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 6

• this would be good advice if i had breasts. But thanks anyways... I may become the next Caitlin Jenner so you never know.

• So glad I don't have to worry about this.

Have fun ladies!

• Victoria Secret. What a wonderful, wonderful store.

• Hope my mom knows this. I can't share this with her because I don't wanna let her know that I read such type of things on the Internet.

• And yes I wanna say, that was very informative and a good take. I really enjoyed this. Well written :)

• Thank you so much. Boobs and bras are something I'm very passionate about

• Yeah that one was the best among other bra myTakes. :)

• Another tit take. . . I guess you couldn't say that this went tits up because it was alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcTRyLRS0rU

Yeah, this helped me, I'm longer sitting around with tits that don't fit

33.media.tumblr.com/.../...02zJfR1sxcftfo1_400.gif

• lulz this is not for me... sorry i wanted first

• That's okay you can always show this to your sister or your girlfriend

• i dont have a girlfriend. n my sis is 11 she uses training bras...

What Girls Said 17

• nice take!!!

• Yeah Victoria Secret sucks at measuring. They measured me at a 38DD and I'm 42DDD/E.

• They just try to fit you in whatever they have on the rack. When instead they should care about doing a good job

• It makes me sad but I hear they they're not well change. I read an article where 10 mins before work they told her how to measure but not how to make sure it fits.
      This is my job an I try to be the best I can be because wearing a good bra chaned my life

• People underestimate the feeling of wearing a bra that fits.

• very useful information. good job☆

• This is great! I spent most of my life wearing B cup bras and when I went to get fitted, I went from C and then to DD depending on the store. Being able to do this at home is definitely useful.

• Yeah. I think everyone should measure themselves at least once a year because you may not even notice the changes in your body

• I work for Victoria's Secret and will say this: a lot of times, it depends on WHO measures you. In your case, VS does not carry band size 28 in stores, nor the cup size E. The size they put you in is one of your sister sizes.

That being said, I understand why it didn't fit you right. Sister sizes don't work for everyone. My sister size actually fit me better and I ended up switching to it. I also can wear my bra size universally (ex: VS, Aerie, Target, etc.), but know other people that wear a bigger size at Victoria than other places.

It comes down to who measured you and if they did it correctly. At my specific VS store, we are taught to measure the band at the fullest part of the bust, as you mentioned above. But again, some coworkers are fantastic, know how to measure correctly, and truly help people yet others ignore what is taught, fake their way through it, and shove whatever into a customer's hands.

• I partially agree because VS does put women in whatever sizes they have. However, a lot of brands (including VS) add 4 inches to your band for comfort or whatever reason. I measure 29 under the bust and 34 around it, and a 32D fits me absolutely perfectly. Some 32D's feel very tight at first on the loosest hook too until I wear them a few times, so I can't imagine downsizing my band.

• That I can understand. But I don't understand the way they measure. They measure over your breasts to find your band. you wouldn't measure your chest To find your pant size. And I'm fine with the adding inches but I just think you'd need to measure te proper place to do that

• Yeah I don't know why they do that it's stupid- I've been measured at aerie before and they do it the normal way. I just measure myself though because it's so much easier to tell what your size is.

• I have lost wieight and my boobs have a lot of room, but im A already. Going to do this. I have always found it hard to do it with a bra on. Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!!

• No fan of Victoria's Secret myself, but I do wear proper fit

• I think the bras are quality but the measuring is awful

• It's really hard for me to find a bra size. I have such a broad ribcage (33 inches underbust) and very small breasts, so A-cups are usually too tight. II am not small enough to go braless, though, because I still feel that drop and jiggle if I step too heavy lol.
    Ahhh it's impossible but this is really cool. Thanks, I'll try it!

• Good take :), thanks for sharing

• I literally guess. Every measurement I have is wrong so i go for comfort rather than my true size

• And that's fine. But I think everyone should try their real measurement size just to be sure. I also think that helps give you a ball park range to find whatevers the most comfortable

• AGREEEEEE! (sorry been drinking hun) xx

• I can't stretch enough to know your sister sizes too. It'll help if you have an uncommon bra size, like me. Or, want a wider variety to shop in.

• The one hard part about sister sizing is getting the band to fit. I probably could wear a 32C but unfortunately it's too loose and doesn't give me enough support. But you should know them invade you have to go smaller or larger in certain brands

• VS measured me at 34b. When I'm a 32d sometimes 34c.

• As a former shop manager for a luxury lingerie brand I can honestly tell you that most women wear the wrong size. Next to that, quality is very important. There are so many different fits and different materials and those have an effect to on which size you need. Just because you wear a 32C in this bra it doesn't mean that all your bras should be a 32C. Fitting is very important when buying a bra. Each bra you want to buy you really need to fit and try cross sizing to see which size fits perfectly. You can not buy a bra like you would a thong or brief. I'm a size 3 brief and size 2 thong and that is always the case. But I can have a 32C in bra number 1 and a 34B in bra number 2. I even have 1 bra that's a 32D because the fit is very small, the lace doesn't stretch, etc.

Measurements are only good for to have an idea. Fitting, fitting, fitting and try cross sizing if the fit of one size is only slightly off. Always ask advice to the sales agents that are trained on how a bra should fit.

• But you should have an idea when you walk Into a store, because walking in blind is overwhelming.
      That's why I tried to include the pictures on how it should fit

• A fitting bra for me is 75C/30C, but with this measurment it got 75D/30D, is this normal? 😶

• Make sure it fits properly. I remember thinking my bras fit properly and that all bras were ridiculously constraining and uncomfortable. I pro obese a pic and a link to see if it fits. But over all if it feels good wear it.

• No, they are fine, thanks for making sure. 😚 I know that feeling, wearing a 75A for an year when I needed 75C, and I thought they were fitting. 😣

• I don't really understand step 2 & 3, mind teaching? I'm sorry ><

• Grab your tape measurer and paper (and pen). Stand up straight and wrap the tape measurer around your back and under your breasts. That's your band measure.
      Now bend forward at a 90 degree angle. Wrap around your back and take measurement, that's your bust.
      Subtract your band from your bust (so subtract the first number we took from the second number).
      The inches of difference is equal to the cup size. 1 inch difference is an A cup. A 2 inch difference is a B cup. Three inch difference is a C cup.
      Then put your cup letter and band size together for your bra size

• So its bust-band right?

• This is a great tool for young girls whose breasts are growing and their size can change almost overnight. It's hard to figure out your size. I spent nearly 3 years in the same ten 34As my mom bought me in the 7th grade. Don't do this, young woman!

• Yeah I went from an A to a C really quickly when I started wearing bras