Five Reasons Why You Should Buy Vintage and Thrift

Good Evening, Lady and Gentlemen Gaggers; tonight I'd like to present another very special Mytake, on the benifical reasons why we should reconsider pouring out our hard-earned money on sweat-shop threads and rather buy repoupoused items. Now, I don't mean to be a thriftwhore like Macklemore (remember him wearing your grandma's coat) or encourage you to dress like your granny/grandpa; but I thought I'd be nice to inform you of the perks of buying thrift and vintage.

Five Reasons Why You Should Buy Vintage and Thrift.

You are Repurposing Recycled Items

Honestly, who doesn't want to contribute to a healthier eco-system and cleaner enviorment. Many sweatshops secrete fossil fuels and noxious fumes from their place of operation.

Did I also Mention You'd Be Supporting Small Enterprises and Anti-Slavery Movements?

In my country we have laws against slave labor; yet it's ironic that we support the slavery in places like China and India, who craft our Mall Hall clothes. Think about how they might lose business if we decided to obtain our garments elsewhere. We may end up giving someone a more dignifyed job. I've traveled all across America with my family to discover some Amazing kitchy clothing stores and fabulous old-timey finds.

You'll Be A Revoultionary Trend-Setter!

Okay...So I white-lied about being like Macklemore-but really, men shouldn't be afraid of donning a vintage pair of bell bottoms from the 70's or that dress coat from the 50's. Ladies, don't be afraid of dressing like Rosie the Rivieter, Audrey Hepburn, or even Marylin Monore, explore the possiblites of what you can be, when you're not wearing yoga pants and jelly sandals.

You Might Save Money

Buying a designer bag and dress for a total of 400 dollars, when you could buy the same items for more than half, should be a reason for shoppers to rejoice. You and Mr. Porky will be proud.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 7

• I have a few vintage clothes and I actually like dressing in a vintage style, like around the 30-60s.

• My clothes are... pretty much all from friends, family hand me downs, or thrift shops. I mean--really, you can find so much stuff, in good condition, any style... I've bought designer things, sure! From thrift shops. cx

• i just use my brothers hand me downs
    lol! i have so many hand me downs

but i am also guilty of buying so many designer things

• Trend setting by wearing someone else's old clothes they didn't want anymore... Genius!

• I always shop vintage for everything. Just not clothes. Vintage furniture and accessories are cool though

• Good take :)

• I always want to. Then I go to the thrift store, and everything is so random and useless.

What Girls Said 16

• I'd rather just wear what I already have. Buy stuff I need and I know will last me a long time. And where I won't get lice. [I save A LOT more money that way.]

So...

• Awesome take :) Reminds me of how my brother has been wearing these cloths my dad had from the 70's which they don't honestly look bad.

YAY for plato's closet ^^

http://www.platoscloset.com/

• Very good point.. Since the end of slavery we have been hiring immigrant workers at extremely low wages.
    Buying vintage helps off set that. Every little step counts

• all my girls vintage CHANEL, baby

• I really want to go thrift shopping, but I never do.

I've seen some really nice clothes at the Salvation Army and Good Will.

There are no really trendy thrift shops in my area though.

• the reason why i dont shop at thrift stores is because its kind of gross. who knows what kinda people wore those clothes or what happened to them? they smell so weird at the store. i could never wear clothes that someone else has worn. great take tho!

• Probably because of the reason you went to a bad one. Hahaha, my Salvation Army is actually very clean. You just have to find the right store.

• i've been to goodwill. just not my thing but i do think its possible to find some great pieces there!

• No one should be wearing bell bottoms. They're horrible. They were always horrible. They will always be horrible.

• This is the twenty first century. get it right

• I'm not into thrifting.

• I shop at thrift stores a lot! Nice take.

• there aren't many thrift shops where I live.. However, I have taken and altered to a seamstress many of my mother's and grandmother's clothes. Also I prefer shopping from small cheap shops and avoid ridiculously overpriced clothes

• I can open a thrift shop at my house! with the fashion changes I go through. I contribute a lot of my clothing to those shops and feel great when i walk down the street and see someone wearing one of pieces of clothing.

• I've been all about this for about 30 years:) I love vintage clothes and thrift store deals!

• I thrift all the time. Yesterday I bought jeans from Salvation Army

• Good take. I can never find anything in my size at thrift stores though, so when I do buy something, I usually upcycle it into something else. Cut it apart and sew it into a bag or something.

• Vintage clothing is cute ^_^