Why do women shave their armpits?

Why do women shave their armpits?

Most people would say that it is gross for women not to shave their armpits. But why is that? It was not always like this, so what happened? Why do women shave?

Fashion
Take a close look at the differences between what guys wear and girls wear. A quick search for ”women fashion” and I found this picture at the top: Why do women shave their armpits?

and then a quick search for ”men fashion” and I found this:

Now you might have noticed something. The girl is wearing a sleveless dress which exposes her armpits in contrast to the man who is wearing a shirt with sleves. So when did women start shaving their armpits?

When?
So when did this happen? Well, take a look at a dress from 1910 (searched for ”1910 dress”):

and then at a 1920 dress (searched for ”1920 dress”):

Noticing something? The 1920 dress doesn't have sleves while the other one has, around 1920 the sleveless dresses came and with them they brought the shaving of the armpits. Also, fashion magazines told women to shave their armpits if they were to wear the sleveless dresses so it caught on very quickly and this could be why guys wearing tank tops don't shave (some do but whatever) as no one has told them to shave if they want to wear them.

Nowadays

I would say that nowadays it is a mix between society expecting them to shave and them still wearing sleveless dresses and shirts.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 8

• WOW! That 1910's dress is amazing!

Want it! =)

Because of hygiene and the feeling - less heat more breeze. ^-^

• It's annoying having to shave arms. I usually just shave them every once in awhile because it helps reduce must, but I've honestly gone out plenty of times with hair under my arms. I've been nervous about it sometimes but I really don't care. Women armpit hair usually doens't get super long anyway, but omfg, I had this guy in my class whose armpit hair stuck out of his short sleeve shirt. It was so long.

• I'd say it's society. If I didn't get dirty looks for it, I'd have no issue with not shaving my armpits. Winter is a blessing <3

• well first of dark hair under armpits are not very attractive in women dont you think? and we usually wear gowns where we show our armpits... and hair really looks gross in woman... out there.
    in guys i wouldn't care if he shaves it or not as men are already hairy, and during sex sometimes they can be attractive for me ( dont ask why, i am a very odourlover girl).

• I think that's a bit of an oversimplification but ok. Fair enough. I do it now because it's itchy if I don't.

• If that's the only reason it would only take a day or two before the itch would stop.

• i think you're placing too much emphasis on clothing. if it came down to clothing, men would shave their armpits when they go topless in summer or at the beach. but they don't. it's completely about the pressre of society. women have always been valued primarily for their looks and that is still the case today

• Women didn't shave before the sleveless dresses came. When they came women were pressured by fashion magazines to shave their armpits if they were to wear the dresses. Something which haven't happened to men. Yet. Also, the dresses were everyday wear not a few times in summer.

• maybe orginally. but not anymore. dresses are worn in the summer. have you ever seen a sleevless dress in the winter?

• guys wear shirtless tops. you gave an example of summer wear vs fall wear. its not comparable.

arm pit hair is gross thats why women shave, men think women shave for men, they shave bc its cleaner and smells better--men should too.

• however between women not shaving and men not shaving i choose women bc they have less hair and smell better.

• my armpits dont have a lot of hair. i can shave them once a week and im good to go. i live in cali and its very hot here. i sweat even when im sitting down and my underarms start to smell gross. if i shave them and apply deoderant then im good to go. i shave them so they dont smell weird haha

What Guys Said 6

• Fashion definitely played a role, but one shouldn't down play the importance if disposable modem safety razor, first invented in 1905, which allowed for people to shave without considerable training or the need of a barber.

• Eh, I shave my armpits so I have no sympathy for chicks. I guarantee my bush is harder to trim than theirs.

• That's fucked up...

• MAYBE you're right. :|

• Really? Really people? This is what is so interesting to you? This is pathetic...

• they dont have to but i just saw a woman with armpit hair 3x longer than mine and almost threw up