Dating & Makeup – False Advertisement, or Not?

First and foremost: TGIF, fellow G@Gers! I hope you’re all having a good day and intend on having an even better weekend.

This is a topic I have wanted to do for a while, but I wanted to make sure I explored multiple different opinions and perspectives on the subject before I came out and began laying down my feelings on the matter. After a good while of reading different takes, articles, and so forth on the subject, I can say for certain that I am of the mindset that makeup – regardless of how drastic – is NOT false advertisement. In this take, I am going to explain why I am of that mentality.

Here is what I have gathered on the opposing view: there are many men and women out there who feel that a woman who applies copious amounts of makeup to alter her appearance is essentially trying to lie to the people around her for some sort of benefit. Be that attention, confidence, or more specifically male attention. I am however going to challenge the idea that if a woman alters her appearance, that she is falsely advertising herself to other people, primarily men or whatever gender she is intimately attracted to.

Think about it for a second with the help of a hypothetical - using marketing terminology since it seems to be popular for this topic: You fall for and begin dating a girl who you see as extremely attractive. However, behind closed doors when the deal is about to be sealed, she removes her makeup and reveals that she is not the perfect woman you initially thought she was. As a result, you break up with her. Sounds like a bad case of false advertisement if I’ve ever heard one. But here’s the thing: the consumer bought into a product without doing a little bit of background work. Like most products, you want to do your research before investing, be it by looking up reviews or trying to find more information, etc. Think of it like a cheeseburger commercial: you know the “advertisement” is going to make it look way better than it actually will look when you commit to buying one in a restaurant. That’s the point: to attract you with visuals so you’ll commit to the idea of giving it a chance. You know well enough that it isn’t going to look as good as the advertisement once you get up close and intimate with it, so why are you expecting a girl who very clearly put tons of effort into her face to look just as perfect when she takes her makeup off? I mean, do you think girls are born with perfectly winged eyeliner or green smokey eyelids? I don’t know about you, but I know damn well if I see a girl with completely perfected makeup, I know she isn’t going to look that way underneath it all.

I recognize that these girls are presenting themselves in a way that isn’t natural – but that’s ALL MAKEUP, even the naturalistic looks are not truly natural. It’s up you to know the difference between somebody who is wearing a ton of makeup to look good and a person who is naturally that attractive. If you’re consistently finding yourself attracted to girls who wear a ton of makeup … then wouldn’t that suggest that you are attracted to the idealistic, perfected look anyways? Perhaps if this tactic didn’t work (as in people didn’t want the heavy makeup look) then girls wouldn’t use it. Then there’s the whole, baffling idea that she may not even be wearing all of that makeup to attract you – but again, that is going to be a different take.

My point is this: if you meet somebody and you intend on dating them, it’s a good thing to keep in mind that what you see initially isn’t always what you’re getting, so it can be extremely beneficial to you to get to know this person inside and out before committing yourself to anything. That way, if you discover you aren’t attracted to their natural appearance, you can move on before you get invested. Or, perhaps date somebody that doesn’t wear that much makeup.

I’m sure this is going to be controversial but I am not against people trying to shed light on some things I may not have considered for this take. So, have at er’ everybody! Change my mind if you can.

RJGraveyTrain is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 43

• Given that female looks are the primary thing that attracts attention, the flip side of that coin, for men, is male charisma, wealth, and status.

Women already discourage men from attempting to learn game with the mantra of "just be yourself!" and we are all aware, women HATE the men who learn and teach and practice game. Because as Selena Gomez put it, women want men for whom "It comes naturally!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEybK_CujtM

Now, what if on top of learning social skills like any normal person, men started dressing up? They wear a nice suit on the norm, like they're an office executive. They hop on ebay and buy detailed counterfeit rolex and breitling watches, to look impressively well off.

Tell me women wouldn't be screaming in fury over men's "deceit" and that we wouldn't have women crying "rape by deception" over it.

• I don't think I ever met anyone who seemed completely different without make up though my personal preference was always light make up but if it was a dealbreaker for me I would worry more about myself than the girl hopefully appearance is an initial factor for me but other things like personality become the dealbreakers.

• the examples shown here are the extreme makeup users. most girls I've encountered use makeup only to sort of highlight features or cover-up small things, like a blemish here or there.

I agree that it should be a sort of 'buyer beware' situation when a girl has caked on makeup

• I wouldn't talk to either of those women if I saw them wearing that makeup. They are find without it.

• Damn keyboard..."fine"

• Blush and skin makeups I believe is the deciding factor for me. If I notice a woman applies this to her skin then I almost always pick up that the false physical identity she presents for herself.

One of my ex's would almost ALWAYS wear eye liner and eye shadow because she felt insecure. She would even sleep with it. This never bothered me, it's who she wanted to be. However when she went full on heavy make up at a military ball I saw the beautiful transformation she made, it kind of put me at ease. I wanted her to feel beautiful.

I guess the difference lies upon the first appearance, whether I'm being catfished or not.

• It's not that I expect girls to look exactly the same without makeup, I mean obviously she is going to look different and not as pretty. But I do expect them to look like some semblence of the same person. Hell, when a girl looks very beautiful with makeup on, is it really that much to expect for her to at least be oretty without it? Apparently it is.

• The only time I would have a problem with this is when a woman uses so much make up that when she takes it off she wouldn't be able to tell she the same woman.

• I think I'm going to start "false-advertising" myself saying I'm rich then say I'm actually unemployed and that she should have done background checks...

• or tell them you're looking for something serious, someone to marry and settle down with, then tell her it was a lie she should have researched yous a playa lol

• Once again, makeup is upfront and easy to spot; lying about how much money you make is intentionally deceitful.

• I don't want to see make-up. I want to see her, as she is, and know that i'm not so superficial as to reject her for tan lines, 'stretch marks', or being a little 'cuddly'!
    Who is 'Perfect'? and why do we keep looking for something that isn't real?
    Ok, she has perfectly small, beautiful breasts, but she HATES her hips and bottom!!
    What if I LOVE that? There should be a dating site, that is like "This is me, and if you don't LOVE it, F'ck OFF!!
    I know so many BEAUTIFUL WOMEN, at work, and I HATE how they think that they are 'fat' or 'look bad' in whatever!!
    I think our society has TWISTED, and made 'Normal' bodies, somehow wrong, when they are perfectly wonderful!!

• Natural is always better

• Yes girl number two is pretty without make up. The first girl I would be pretty angry at but since I have a one inch pecker I will start to walk around with a banana in my pocket.

• Girl 2 is pretty wout make up. She turns into pornstar mode with all the make up, kinda unnessesary cause it's not about looking for a pornstar (or do I?), at least she would easily get hook ups doing make up sex

• Thats why you take her swimming on the first date

• Lap pool swimmer & part time model just WISHING men would be more original like this. Cheers xo

• No, makeup is not a false advertisement but I think women that look great with no makeup are better than ones that need it to look great. Push up bras are definitely false advertising because once the bra comes off in front of a guy, he's going to know that they aren't exactly what he thought.

• I agree with the first part but not with the second; it's physically impossible without implants for your boobs to look the way they do in push up bras. Most boobs are naturally tear-shaped, and due to gravity (basic laws of physics and such) no one should expect your boobs to be naturally that high up and pushes together. Come on people, anatomy!

Unless they're fake.

• You are correct. I confused push up with waterbras and any other bras that make your cup size look bigger while it's on.

• Water bras I 100% understand.

• Makeup is evolution tool! :D

Woman is naturally more beautiful in my opinion. :)

• In the first picture, I like the girl on the left. She's naturally pretty. wife type pretty

• well if she is putting so much make up that it changes her race , like the second pick, I would hate it!

• I don't mind make up since it will make the girl more beautiful but I won't have that as herreal look same way as a guy waking up from sleep don't look the same when all groomed up and wearing a tuxedo its something done to boost the natural appearance

• That first photo, ughjh ewww make up looks hella ratchet

• I can't believe!!!

• More from Guys
    23

What Girls Said 34

• (Stands up: slow clap). In my opinion, a perfect take. In your example, I would consider the man who broke up the woman who took off her make-up to truly be the shallow one because whether you are male or female, looks change, they fade, you age, etc. and no one is going to look like the way they do now 20 years from now, so there is no permanency in the way you look whether natural or not, but to break up with someone over the superficial, after dating them, is making you the shallow one because that means you were essentially only in that relationship for their looks and not the substance, if any, behind that. Guys have a right to date whomever they want as do girls. If they like a natural girl, good for them, if they don't, good for them too. There is someone for all types, but as the quote says, "I don't see why I'm being blamed for a man stupid enough to believe I have gold sparkly eyelids." As you say, its no secret, especially with someone with ultra heavy make-up, that they are wearing make-up, so if you're into the natural girl thing, just don't date them. Problem solved.

• its the main reason why i don't wear A LOT pf makeup

• I am a woman who loves makeup. But also doesn't shy away from going natural at your request, either.

• Great take! I really don't get how it can be compared to "false advertising". It's like some people are stupid enough to think women are naturally born with flawless skin and sparkly eyelids. I mean, really? Get to know the person beneath the mask too. One of the reasons I don't wear makeup. I don't want people to think I'm "false advertising".

• I've thought about this before because some girls look like different people after they've had their make up done. I'm undecided on it tbh.

• I like your take and agree with it.

A girl has to wear A LOT of make up to look like a completely different human being when she takes it off. I really don't buy into the idea that SO many guys are fooled by make up to the point where they have to dump their girlfriends because of how they look without make up. You just don't hear about this... or at least I haven't.

Secondly guys are quite hypocritical on this topic too. They claim they they don't like make up but yet they watch porn with girls wearing often TONS of caked on make up, drool over models in magazines, social media and on TV who clearly not only wear make up but are often photoshopped too and then from what I see the girls who get the most attention at my uni classes or hang out spots are almost always girls with make up on. Often not just some but a lot of make up too while we're at it.

If guys were so repulsed by make up they wouldn't be doing any of the things I mentioned above.

At the end of the day I also just really don't care. I like wearing make up and have never had a issue with a guy telling me I shouldn't wear make up or had a guy insult me or break up with me after finding out I don't have eyeliner naturally around my eyes or fiery bright red lips.

• I don't know I kind of feel like it is flase advertisement but then again it's their face and they a right to wear.

Okay this is where I stand. Make up is cover is covering up your face or skin so there for you have something to hide which is false advertising.

• I don't think it's false advertising because, once again, it's typically clear. I also don't consider it false advertising because I don't feel like women who wear makeup are necessarily advertising. Which is why I mock the whole idea in my take that women are products to be advertised.

• But that's just my opinion. We can just agree to disagree :)

• You're entitled to feel that way but I still don't agree. Technically, any alteration you make to your appearance would be false advertising given that logic: dying your hair, styling your hair, shaving, wearing a bra period, wearing deorderant. Basically, to show all of ourselves we would have to stand there completely naked with zero alteration to ourselves of any form.

• The people IRL who can do these extreme makeovers on their own are pretty few and far between. Most people look fairly similar with and without makeup. Personally, I'd say the first girl is an example more of how a small difference in hairstyle can completely change how you're perceived.

• I think you need to understand that everyone has the right to the whatever they want. Just because you are against makeup, it doesn't make you better or superior than girls who like makeup. It's like saying that men should shave their beards because it's hiding their face, or maybe they lack a strong jawline? Stop makeup shaming, it's getting so old.. like, just respect. Thanks.

• This take was in support of it, not shaming it. Did you even read it?

• Yes I did read it. ''I recognize that these girls are presenting themselves in a way that isn’t natural – but that’s ALL MAKEUP.'' That's shaming. It's like you're shaming girls who wear it and trying to make them feel bad for doing it, that's not right. Majority of my friends are really beautiful facially, and when they take off their makeup they still look stunning. If you're average and makeup doesn't work for you, don't blame it on the product that can make a lot of people gain self esteem.

• I'm not shaming anybody. Makeup isnt't natural, that's a fact. I support anybody who wants to present themselves in any fashion and would defend anybody being targeted based solely on appearances. I see no issue with somebody wanting to wear makeup and I support that people do what makes them happy. Just because YOU think it's "like shaming girls for wearing makeup" doesn't at all mean that's what I'm doing. I am just stating that when you apply synthetic products to your face it is not your natural appearance. That doesn't make them fake, that doesn't make them ugly, it just means that makeup isn't biologically natural.

• Too much make up, only attracts superficial men. It's bad for you skin, and you can quickly look vulgar. Just put what is needed, depending on day or night. If a guy is attracted to you it should also be for your brains.

• Except women are not "products" like the cheeseburger you compared us to.

• I don't know if you realized this, but the references to marketing and products was used in a sarcastic way intended to mock how other people in society compare women to products. It was snarky commentary, not intended to be taken literal.

• I agree to an extent. I think most girls should be confident with their looks. However, if a girl decides to put on a little lipstick because it accentuates her porcelain skin or put on a little blush so there is more life and shape to her cheekbones then go for it. Make up applied to your entire face should be done on special occasions but that's just me.

• Makeup can be "enhancement"
    It can also be a total lie.

When not modelling I never wear it, even when out on dates.
    ie: I like my skin to BREATHE!

• Great Take. I've never thought make up was false advertising. Because the bottom line is, you shouldn't be wanting a relationship with someone for the way they look!!! Only about 20-30% I guess. One night stands and hook ups, I suppose. Then who cares if she doesn't look the same? You don't have to see her again lol.

And @neoagent1 your opinion reminded me of this video.
    https://youtu.be/6R-UKYA2k4c

• Why is she adding all that illusion? She already has nice boobs?

• I don't wear makeup because that is a preference of mine. I want a man who likes me for the way I look.

• Well... most women do actually wear tones of make-up and try to look "pretty" just for cliché and vanity purposes.. . that's how it is these days... it's not about self-confidence... even weight loss... it's just about "fitting in" and thinking it will make people like them (even when it won't), but that is the message society sends anyways because they want you to fail... it's not even about "taking pride in ones appearance", that's another old-fashioned notion that women from the 1900's to the 1960's said because guys like them that way... nothing about it is about loving yourself or confidence... they do lie and say it is... but they know it's really not and if you question them about it they get all defensive... you can't really tell them what to believe but it's just proof it's not for self-condifence or self-love.

The odd woman might wear make-up just because they like to... but it's only a small minority that see it that way... but most of the time girls wear make-up because it's "the thing that's in" but really it's just a terrible way to be a crowed pleaser... especially these days with "selfies" and pretending to like the latest music (when we know it just sucks), and all the crazy defiling things like "twerking"... in a way it is misleading because on the outside they pretend to be someone else... but on the inside they are another person, they hide behind their make-up. many times i've seen guys go on a date with a girl who is SO HOT AND GORGEROUS! oh... she MUST be a good person too then? aha... no...

Next thing they find out she's a total nut case... so... in a way it is very decieveing, but women wouldn't be this way in the first place if guys actualy learned to accept women and their natural beauty, but most guys won't because society makes them think women who don't "doll up" aren't looking after themselves and are lazy... even other women who start thinking this way call other females who don't "doll-up" lazy and say we don't look after ourselves... but if they knew the harm the make-up was actually doing to theri skin... i think we can truthfully say the girl without make-up or hair dye is the more healthy one... as a girl who is a plane jane and doesn't like to "dol up", i'm definitely always a subject of great envy and i hear men and women saying i don't look after myself just because i don't... so overal it's not a positive thing...

• If anyone is that dumb to not notice then that's on them lol. It's not hard to tell when a woman is wearing make up and if its a lot or just a little touch.

• False advertisement

• I wear makeup MAYBE 3x/month and never more than 4 products (total) at a time. That being said, I'm not a complete makeup novice, nor am I a makeup artist; I just choose not to wear it most days.

Millions of guys out there complain about false advertizing, yet do ZERO research to figure out what makeup can do/the process of putting it on (basically what girls do to learn about makeup). These people have no right to complain about makeup being false advertizing. There are guys out there, however, who do a ton of research about makeup because they want to know, and still aren't able to figure out what a girl's face really looks like. I can honestly say I empathize with these people, because 50% of my friends that wear makeup, I've never seen bare-faced.

I agree 100% with your "My point is this" statement, but I can also see how it's frustrating for guys to have (what they view as) key information withheld from them in ways they may never be able to detect. It's like if you wanted to be with someone who had a steady job/certain income level and they dodged the question every time you asked. Or, if they dressed in expensive clothing that made it seem like they were of a certain income level, then you come to find out they live in their parents' basement.

Physical appearance is something that guys genuinely care about, just like income is (generally) something that women care genuinely about. It is what it is. Assign ethical labels & judgmental categories to if you want, but in the end, everyone wants to be accepted for who they are, not what they have. Certain people (and by "certain" I mean "most") just purposely aim for partners having certain characteristics that will make for a better relationship.

• I personally hate contouring and highlighting it completely changes the face when done heavy. So yes that's false advertisement. I'd get mad if a man where to appear to have something but it was an illusion. Its not about liking what's inside or being immature its a bout expecting what your looking at not to look too different behind closed door.

• More from Girls
    14