Dating & Makeup – False Advertisement, or Not?

First and foremost: TGIF, fellow G@Gers! I hope you’re all having a good day and intend on having an even better weekend.

This is a topic I have wanted to do for a while, but I wanted to make sure I explored multiple different opinions and perspectives on the subject before I came out and began laying down my feelings on the matter. After a good while of reading different takes, articles, and so forth on the subject, I can say for certain that I am of the mindset that makeup – regardless of how drastic – is NOT false advertisement. In this take, I am going to explain why I am of that mentality.

Here is what I have gathered on the opposing view: there are many men and women out there who feel that a woman who applies copious amounts of makeup to alter her appearance is essentially trying to lie to the people around her for some sort of benefit. Be that attention, confidence, or more specifically male attention. I am however going to challenge the idea that if a woman alters her appearance, that she is falsely advertising herself to other people, primarily men or whatever gender she is intimately attracted to.

Think about it for a second with the help of a hypothetical - using marketing terminology since it seems to be popular for this topic: You fall for and begin dating a girl who you see as extremely attractive. However, behind closed doors when the deal is about to be sealed, she removes her makeup and reveals that she is not the perfect woman you initially thought she was. As a result, you break up with her. Sounds like a bad case of false advertisement if I’ve ever heard one. But here’s the thing: the consumer bought into a product without doing a little bit of background work. Like most products, you want to do your research before investing, be it by looking up reviews or trying to find more information, etc. Think of it like a cheeseburger commercial: you know the “advertisement” is going to make it look way better than it actually will look when you commit to buying one in a restaurant. That’s the point: to attract you with visuals so you’ll commit to the idea of giving it a chance. You know well enough that it isn’t going to look as good as the advertisement once you get up close and intimate with it, so why are you expecting a girl who very clearly put tons of effort into her face to look just as perfect when she takes her makeup off? I mean, do you think girls are born with perfectly winged eyeliner or green smokey eyelids? I don’t know about you, but I know damn well if I see a girl with completely perfected makeup, I know she isn’t going to look that way underneath it all.

I recognize that these girls are presenting themselves in a way that isn’t natural – but that’s ALL MAKEUP, even the naturalistic looks are not truly natural. It’s up you to know the difference between somebody who is wearing a ton of makeup to look good and a person who is naturally that attractive. If you’re consistently finding yourself attracted to girls who wear a ton of makeup … then wouldn’t that suggest that you are attracted to the idealistic, perfected look anyways? Perhaps if this tactic didn’t work (as in people didn’t want the heavy makeup look) then girls wouldn’t use it. Then there’s the whole, baffling idea that she may not even be wearing all of that makeup to attract you – but again, that is going to be a different take.

My point is this: if you meet somebody and you intend on dating them, it’s a good thing to keep in mind that what you see initially isn’t always what you’re getting, so it can be extremely beneficial to you to get to know this person inside and out before committing yourself to anything. That way, if you discover you aren’t attracted to their natural appearance, you can move on before you get invested. Or, perhaps date somebody that doesn’t wear that much makeup.

I’m sure this is going to be controversial but I am not against people trying to shed light on some things I may not have considered for this take. So, have at er’ everybody! Change my mind if you can.

3443
RJGraveyTrain is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• The way I see it. Girls are not false advertising. I think it is pretty shallow for any guy to get upset with how a woman looks without makeup. Come on guys we all have small short dicks until it gets hard.

Just saying.

Most Helpful Girl

• (Stands up: slow clap). In my opinion, a perfect take. In your example, I would consider the man who broke up the woman who took off her make-up to truly be the shallow one because whether you are male or female, looks change, they fade, you age, etc. and no one is going to look like the way they do now 20 years from now, so there is no permanency in the way you look whether natural or not, but to break up with someone over the superficial, after dating them, is making you the shallow one because that means you were essentially only in that relationship for their looks and not the substance, if any, behind that. Guys have a right to date whomever they want as do girls. If they like a natural girl, good for them, if they don't, good for them too. There is someone for all types, but as the quote says, "I don't see why I'm being blamed for a man stupid enough to believe I have gold sparkly eyelids." As you say, its no secret, especially with someone with ultra heavy make-up, that they are wearing make-up, so if you're into the natural girl thing, just don't date them. Problem solved.

Sponsored

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 42

• the examples shown here are the extreme makeup users. most girls I've encountered use makeup only to sort of highlight features or cover-up small things, like a blemish here or there.

I agree that it should be a sort of 'buyer beware' situation when a girl has caked on makeup

• Ladies, guys are not that stupid. We know exactly what makeup does... or should I say we "older" men do. Do we like makeup? meh.. sure it can make women look really hot. but MOST of the time, if we get serious, we will see you without makeup or with little. I prefer women with the bare minimum or none. I am no brad pitt or whomever you think is really hot. You don't have to be some supermodel for me to love you... just be you...

• I don't want to see make-up. I want to see her, as she is, and know that i'm not so superficial as to reject her for tan lines, 'stretch marks', or being a little 'cuddly'!
    Who is 'Perfect'? and why do we keep looking for something that isn't real?
    Ok, she has perfectly small, beautiful breasts, but she HATES her hips and bottom!!
    What if I LOVE that? There should be a dating site, that is like "This is me, and if you don't LOVE it, F'ck OFF!!
    I know so many BEAUTIFUL WOMEN, at work, and I HATE how they think that they are 'fat' or 'look bad' in whatever!!
    I think our society has TWISTED, and made 'Normal' bodies, somehow wrong, when they are perfectly wonderful!!

• Given that female looks are the primary thing that attracts attention, the flip side of that coin, for men, is male charisma, wealth, and status.

Women already discourage men from attempting to learn game with the mantra of "just be yourself!" and we are all aware, women HATE the men who learn and teach and practice game. Because as Selena Gomez put it, women want men for whom "It comes naturally!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEybK_CujtM

Now, what if on top of learning social skills like any normal person, men started dressing up? They wear a nice suit on the norm, like they're an office executive. They hop on ebay and buy detailed counterfeit rolex and breitling watches, to look impressively well off.

Tell me women wouldn't be screaming in fury over men's "deceit" and that we wouldn't have women crying "rape by deception" over it.

• Blush and skin makeups I believe is the deciding factor for me. If I notice a woman applies this to her skin then I almost always pick up that the false physical identity she presents for herself.

One of my ex's would almost ALWAYS wear eye liner and eye shadow because she felt insecure. She would even sleep with it. This never bothered me, it's who she wanted to be. However when she went full on heavy make up at a military ball I saw the beautiful transformation she made, it kind of put me at ease. I wanted her to feel beautiful.

I guess the difference lies upon the first appearance, whether I'm being catfished or not.

• The only time I would have a problem with this is when a woman uses so much make up that when she takes it off she wouldn't be able to tell she the same woman.

• The point of makeup is to hide your flaws, make your features more symmetrical and simulate sexual attraction to the men who look at you. This IS manipulation and a big lie! It's no wonder guys don't like it.

• I don't agree. Anybody who understands what makeup is (which clearly, you do) knows that when the makeup is not there, that the person no longer looks that perfected. With that knowledge, you should be able to know that this person is NOT going to look perfect when its gone. Therefore, it's not a lie. It's a lie if you DO NOT KNOW they are wearing makeup.

PSA: If a girl is wearing makeup... she doesn't really look like that.

• Having said that - if you'd like to elaborate on your opinion a bit more, maybe you can help me understand better.

• The issue is that 90%+ communication is subconscious through body language and scent, things like blushing or wide bright eyes, clear skin, or red lips indicate that women are fertile/sexually aroused. This is all interpreted unconsciously in the male brain and effects their actions and decision making ability concerning that woman.

Men like it when women send these signals to them, men like women who are attractive, but makeup is all a lie, it manipulates men. It doesn't matter that you consciously know she is wearing makeup because the conscious part of your brain is not the part that matters in this equation.

So what are the social consequences when men as a group learn that signals of attraction from women are 99.999% of the time a lie?

• Soooo, if a guy wears platform shoes to boost his height to be above yours, and those shirts that you can put on that makes it look like you have abs underneath and pushes your chest up

are you saying these things are NOT false advertising as well? cus they're pretty much the same thing.

• Depends on how obvious it is; makeup in general is easy to recognize, fake-abdomen muscles are not.

• I highly doubt a guy would even mention they're real to avoid any possibility of having to reveal, so if it's never mentioned it isn't false advertising?

If he's wearing shoes that increase his height half a foot to a foot, and then you find out you're infact taller, that wouldn't be a little upsetting?

Why does it matter how easy something is to spot? it's not like i can tell what you look like without makeup no matter how obvious it is that you're wearing it

• But this is my point: you have to get to know somebody first. It also does matter how easy it is to spot: if you see someone wearing a full face of makeup, it's very easy to assume they aren't going to look the same when it's gone. Wearing fake muscles and height-enhancing shoes that are intended to be hidden is something you cannot spot and assume will alter the person's appearance once it's gone.

If a girl say wears butt and breast enhancers, I would consider that "lying about one's appearance", if you will, because it isn't clear. But makeup, which essentially is face paint, is obvious. It's like seeing someone with pink hair; it looks great, but you know it isn't natural.

• I don't think I ever met anyone who seemed completely different without make up though my personal preference was always light make up but if it was a dealbreaker for me I would worry more about myself than the girl hopefully appearance is an initial factor for me but other things like personality become the dealbreakers.

• that's why my dates are in the pool.

• "... she removes her makeup and reveals that she is not the perfect woman you initially thought she was. As a result, you break up with her."

Whoa, I think you jumped the shark there.

• A little makeup is fine. But there's a fine line between sprucing things up, and way overdoing it. A lot of women simply take it way too far. All the makeup in the world on a toad, is still a toad.

• well if she is putting so much make up that it changes her race , like the second pick, I would hate it!

• No, makeup is not a false advertisement but I think women that look great with no makeup are better than ones that need it to look great. Push up bras are definitely false advertising because once the bra comes off in front of a guy, he's going to know that they aren't exactly what he thought.

• I agree with the first part but not with the second; it's physically impossible without implants for your boobs to look the way they do in push up bras. Most boobs are naturally tear-shaped, and due to gravity (basic laws of physics and such) no one should expect your boobs to be naturally that high up and pushes together. Come on people, anatomy!

Unless they're fake.

• You are correct. I confused push up with waterbras and any other bras that make your cup size look bigger while it's on.

• Water bras I 100% understand.

• Makeup is not false advirtisement. It's a helper to promote a woman's appeal. Trust me, you can put makeup on a horse, but she's still a horse.
    I mean an actual horse!!!

• Please don't commodify dating like that, comparing women to products. That's one of the main things that screw up dating today - the fact that it's so commodified and many people don't tend to view dates as people.

• It was written in a fashion that was meant to be entirely sarcastic, not literal.

• Natural is always better

• Lol idc really. Same as if she wore hats or not, or something superfluous like that. Or bracelets, etc

• This was funny to me. I think it's how you compared makeup to marketing. Anyhow, I agree. Never liked heavy makeup anyways.

• I think I'm going to start "false-advertising" myself saying I'm rich then say I'm actually unemployed and that she should have done background checks...

• or tell them you're looking for something serious, someone to marry and settle down with, then tell her it was a lie she should have researched yous a playa lol

• Once again, makeup is upfront and easy to spot; lying about how much money you make is intentionally deceitful.

• More from Guys
    22

What Girls Said 33

• its the main reason why i don't wear A LOT pf makeup

• I like your take and agree with it.

A girl has to wear A LOT of make up to look like a completely different human being when she takes it off. I really don't buy into the idea that SO many guys are fooled by make up to the point where they have to dump their girlfriends because of how they look without make up. You just don't hear about this... or at least I haven't.

Secondly guys are quite hypocritical on this topic too. They claim they they don't like make up but yet they watch porn with girls wearing often TONS of caked on make up, drool over models in magazines, social media and on TV who clearly not only wear make up but are often photoshopped too and then from what I see the girls who get the most attention at my uni classes or hang out spots are almost always girls with make up on. Often not just some but a lot of make up too while we're at it.

If guys were so repulsed by make up they wouldn't be doing any of the things I mentioned above.

At the end of the day I also just really don't care. I like wearing make up and have never had a issue with a guy telling me I shouldn't wear make up or had a guy insult me or break up with me after finding out I don't have eyeliner naturally around my eyes or fiery bright red lips.

• So if I put up an ad on Craig's list stating I have a 2015 shiny red corvette for sale and someone shows up and in reality I'm selling a 2002 rusted blue honda, and my excuse is I needed to attract you first in order for you to give it try because it's a really great car, it's really reliable and you'd be quite happy with it. Does that man not have the right to be infuriated and completely turned off to what this car really looks like? Does he not reserve the right to walk away from something he wasn't expecting? Was that not false advertising even though I had 'good intentions'? Because the blue honda on it's own is just great, and if I would've been honest in the first place then I would've found the right buyer for my honda, not the right buyer for a corvette.

• Cars and people are very, very different entities.

• Okay why does no one understand that the take owner didn't seriously think people and cheeseburgers or people and products can be compared and was only doing it because 'market terminology' seems to be a popular way to explain points like hers. You on the other hand seem to actually think women and cars are something that can be compared so let me introduce you to angelling's post: "We're people and not products. Calling it advertising of any kind is just silly which is why I agree it's not false advertising. It seems no matter how much people want to scream "I do it because I like it and for myself" people still assume it must be for others and thus the term "false advertising" comes into play. It's dumb because we're not walking billboards, we're people who have a right to do what we want to our own face."

• The use of advertising terminology, as I have stated before, is intended to be taken sarcastically and mock the very idea that women are like products that you can buy. In no way do I suggest that women are literally comparable to food products or cars. It was a snarky way of making fun of the whole "advertising oneself" culture.

• I've never understood how people think it's false advertising.

All it makes it seem like is that they only care about looks, and are too stupid to realize eyelids aren't naturally green.

• Great take! I really don't get how it can be compared to "false advertising". It's like some people are stupid enough to think women are naturally born with flawless skin and sparkly eyelids. I mean, really? Get to know the person beneath the mask too. One of the reasons I don't wear makeup. I don't want people to think I'm "false advertising".

• Why not make the most of oneself? Whomever is doing their makeup, please come and do mine? They look amazing! We can all improve ourselves so why get mad when someone is a master artisan with their appearance like this? I admire them for it♡

• Well... most women do actually wear tones of make-up and try to look "pretty" just for cliché and vanity purposes.. . that's how it is these days... it's not about self-confidence... even weight loss... it's just about "fitting in" and thinking it will make people like them (even when it won't), but that is the message society sends anyways because they want you to fail... it's not even about "taking pride in ones appearance", that's another old-fashioned notion that women from the 1900's to the 1960's said because guys like them that way... nothing about it is about loving yourself or confidence... they do lie and say it is... but they know it's really not and if you question them about it they get all defensive... you can't really tell them what to believe but it's just proof it's not for self-condifence or self-love.

The odd woman might wear make-up just because they like to... but it's only a small minority that see it that way... but most of the time girls wear make-up because it's "the thing that's in" but really it's just a terrible way to be a crowed pleaser... especially these days with "selfies" and pretending to like the latest music (when we know it just sucks), and all the crazy defiling things like "twerking"... in a way it is misleading because on the outside they pretend to be someone else... but on the inside they are another person, they hide behind their make-up. many times i've seen guys go on a date with a girl who is SO HOT AND GORGEROUS! oh... she MUST be a good person too then? aha... no...

Next thing they find out she's a total nut case... so... in a way it is very decieveing, but women wouldn't be this way in the first place if guys actualy learned to accept women and their natural beauty, but most guys won't because society makes them think women who don't "doll up" aren't looking after themselves and are lazy... even other women who start thinking this way call other females who don't "doll-up" lazy and say we don't look after ourselves... but if they knew the harm the make-up was actually doing to theri skin... i think we can truthfully say the girl without make-up or hair dye is the more healthy one... as a girl who is a plane jane and doesn't like to "dol up", i'm definitely always a subject of great envy and i hear men and women saying i don't look after myself just because i don't... so overal it's not a positive thing...

• It's one of the reasons I don't wear a lot of it. I'm not attractive at all. A lot of people online say I can fix this by wearing a ton of makeup. Okay sure I'll do that. I end up meeting a guy that maybe likes the way I look with all that makeup. I take it off later on and goes running for the hills. So if i want to meet a guy I just make sure my hair and clothes look nice. I'll let him see the natural me and decide for himself if he can handle my face or not.

I don't think makeup is false advertisement. If someone wants to wear makeup they should. It's just for me, there is no point if I'm attracting men. If I'm doing it just to go out and have fun it's different.

• We're people and not products. Calling it advertising of any kind is just silly which is why I agree it's not false advertising. It seems no matter how much people want to scream "I do it because I like it and for myself" people still assume it must be for others and thus the term "false advertising" comes into play. It's dumb because we're not walking billboards, we're people who have a right to do what we want to our own face.

• Guys should automatically be aware that girls always look better with a lot of makeup on (assuming she is skilled at applying it). So, the more makeup she has on, the less good she's going to look when it comes off. But if looks are the only thing that's drawing you to a girl, then you got problems.

*cue Jay-Z, "I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

• I wear makeup MAYBE 3x/month and never more than 4 products (total) at a time. That being said, I'm not a complete makeup novice, nor am I a makeup artist; I just choose not to wear it most days.

Millions of guys out there complain about false advertizing, yet do ZERO research to figure out what makeup can do/the process of putting it on (basically what girls do to learn about makeup). These people have no right to complain about makeup being false advertizing. There are guys out there, however, who do a ton of research about makeup because they want to know, and still aren't able to figure out what a girl's face really looks like. I can honestly say I empathize with these people, because 50% of my friends that wear makeup, I've never seen bare-faced.

I agree 100% with your "My point is this" statement, but I can also see how it's frustrating for guys to have (what they view as) key information withheld from them in ways they may never be able to detect. It's like if you wanted to be with someone who had a steady job/certain income level and they dodged the question every time you asked. Or, if they dressed in expensive clothing that made it seem like they were of a certain income level, then you come to find out they live in their parents' basement.

Physical appearance is something that guys genuinely care about, just like income is (generally) something that women care genuinely about. It is what it is. Assign ethical labels & judgmental categories to if you want, but in the end, everyone wants to be accepted for who they are, not what they have. Certain people (and by "certain" I mean "most") just purposely aim for partners having certain characteristics that will make for a better relationship.

• I agree. If guys think lots of makeup is false advertising, nothing is stopping them from only dating girls who go for the natural look

• I don't know I kind of feel like it is flase advertisement but then again it's their face and they a right to wear.

Okay this is where I stand. Make up is cover is covering up your face or skin so there for you have something to hide which is false advertising.

• I don't think it's false advertising because, once again, it's typically clear. I also don't consider it false advertising because I don't feel like women who wear makeup are necessarily advertising. Which is why I mock the whole idea in my take that women are products to be advertised.

• But that's just my opinion. We can just agree to disagree :)

• You're entitled to feel that way but I still don't agree. Technically, any alteration you make to your appearance would be false advertising given that logic: dying your hair, styling your hair, shaving, wearing a bra period, wearing deorderant. Basically, to show all of ourselves we would have to stand there completely naked with zero alteration to ourselves of any form.

• I personally hate contouring and highlighting it completely changes the face when done heavy. So yes that's false advertisement. I'd get mad if a man where to appear to have something but it was an illusion. Its not about liking what's inside or being immature its a bout expecting what your looking at not to look too different behind closed door.

• This is Jbunzie.
    scontent.cdninstagram.com/.../...4_341831451_n.jpg
    She likes to transform herself into celebrities with makeup.
    she's most popular for looking like Miley Cyrus
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwEVVY6CAAAbWA5.jpg
    She also does Ariana Grande
    img1.ask.fm/assets/341/653/113/normal/file.jpg
    And many other looks.
    scontent.cdninstagram.com/.../..._2031097487_n.jpg
    scontent.cdninstagram.com/.../...0_525790716_n.jpg
    encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images
    she's also done the girl from brave, jack frost, Iggy azalea, kirsten stewert. etc. etc. etc.
    The point is, she can use makeup and look like all these different people. So technically she could show up to date as a celebrity lookalike, wash her makeup off and look nothing like that celebrity anymore. SOME girls use way too makeup to make themselves look completely different. A guy can't help it if he's attracted to a girl without makeup on and not when she washes it off. Do i think its bad because its "lying"? not necessarily. I think its bad because the girl is so insecure with herself that she feels the need to make herself look like a different person to feel attractive.
    by the way i know you blocked a girl for disagreeing with you. If you're going to get mad and block people just for disagreeing then dont share your opinion :P

• I see her as actually doing something artistic, I don't feel that she's necessarily attempting to be somebody else. I believe we should always support people and their passions.

• False advertisement

• I mean, contouring of the nose and face can make a person look very different, and on top of foundation and a beautifully tight lined eye, yeah, some people may feel deceived... but oh well. Make up is make up. These women are pretty, they are just enhancing what they have or manipulating things to better fit current beauty standards.

That's how I see it at least.

• Too much make up, only attracts superficial men. It's bad for you skin, and you can quickly look vulgar. Just put what is needed, depending on day or night. If a guy is attracted to you it should also be for your brains.

• I've thought about this before because some girls look like different people after they've had their make up done. I'm undecided on it tbh.

• I don't wear makeup because that is a preference of mine. I want a man who likes me for the way I look.

• More from Girls
    13