10 Beauty icons who are not Marilyn Monroe

While Marilyn Monroe was beautiful and her IQ was off the charts, I think we need to appreciate other beautiful women in the world. When she was a poor starlet, on many occasions she could have married for money but turned prominent men down and said she would only marry for love. Marilyn had class and dignity. She was nothing like the characters she portrayed on film.

1. Audrey Hepburn

2. Malala Yousafzai

Malala Yousafzai is an amazing teen activist campaigning for the rights of girls and women to receive education. She was shot in the head by the Taliban on her way home from school and survived. At 17 she became the youngest recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize.

3. Hedy lamarr

Iconic Hollywood actress, also invented a frequency hopping device that prevented radio-controlled torpedoes from jamming.

4. Lizzie Velasquez

Lizzie Velasquez was born with a rare condition that keeps her from gaining any weight. She's also blind in her right eye. When Lizzie was just a teen, she was the subject of an online video that described her as "the world's ugliest woman," and she was attacked by bullies telling her she should commit suicide. But she decided to fight back and not let her bullies define who she is.

5. Sophia Loren

She inspires women to age gracefully and be sexy at any age and has won golden globes, oscars, along with many others.

6. Princess Diana

Diana, Princess of Wales, was one of the most adored members of the British royal family. She became Lady Diana Spencer after her father inherited the title of Earl Spencer in 1975. Diana served a strong supporter of many charities and worked to help the homeless, people living with HIV and AIDS and children in need.

7. Amelia Earhart

I might be a little biased because as a child, i loved her fearlessness and drive and wanthed to be just like her. She was the first woman to fly across the Atlantic tragically disappeared in 1937 on what was meant to be a globe-circling flight. I always believed she had been shipwrecked on a deserted island (and still believe that) I think it was because she was my hero and could not just die doing what she loved. She accomplished a larger mission, dramatically expanding the world's notions of how high a woman can soar.

8. Emma Watson

Watson is not just an activist, an award winning actress, but she is also a humanitarian for women and young girls around the world. After she left Hogwarts, she went to Brown University where she earned a degree in English Literature. She believes in education for girls in third world countries, equal rights as a human right and she is an actress extraordinaire.

9. Nandita Das

Nandita Das is an Indian film actress and director. She has acted in over 30 feature films in ten different languages. Nandita’s involvement with charitable work began fairly early in life when she did her Masters in Social Work from the reputed Delhi School of Social Work. Following this formal training in social work she worked in non-governmental organisations in different parts of India. Causes close to her heart are issues of sectarian violence, which was also the topic of her directorial debut feature film, “Firaaq” in 2008, violence against women, issues of child rights, stigma concerning HIV/ AIDS and disability. She has also directed public service ads on Water Harvesting and Education.

10. Clare Bowen

She stars as Scarlett O' Conner on Nashville and was inspired to cut off her hair by two things: a little fan who has cancer and her own childhood battle with cancer. “[Hair is] not what makes a princess, or a warrior, or a superhero. It’s not what makes you beautiful either.” —Clare Bowen

Ginnyweasley97 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 9

• Audrey Hepburn for sure and Emma Watson as well. I do like Audrey's story about how she was liberated in Nazi occupied Netherlands, plus the fact she was a very classy actress. What do you think about Jennifer Lawrence or Princess Kate Middleton?

• I like them both and I meant to add them but I started feeling sick last night and decided to make this into a mini my take and least now I am feeling better.

• Thats good you're feeling better, i completely understand. But great take all great women. There are others I could think of as well even though I don't like her music I'll have to add Taylor Swift too

• Just a note, Katherine's official title is The Duchess of Cambridge :) her last name isn't Middleton any more, it would be Windsor now

• The title has nothing to do with the Take though :/
    I mean, the Take is nice, but it has nothing to do with beauty...

• Not really I think beauty is more on the inside so I chose 10 women who are pretty on the inside and out but more importantly the inside.

• Oh ok. When I hear beauty icons it's always referred to outside beauty, that's why.

• Marilyn Monroe lmaooo Maybe you don't wanna look upto someone who had three failed marriages and died in her own vomit lol

• You're hilarious. *insert obnoxious LOL literally after you talk about her death that you have no idea about* and here's another one for the road LOL and maybe another for later LOL

• Hmm.. I do have a idea about what I am talking about. It's you who don't "LOL", stop talking like retard because you can't say that's false " lol". And here is another one for your sad life, "lol"

• My sad life ok.

• You ruined it with Emma watson

• Oh shit #4 is hot as fuck.

• Emma is my bae!

• Very inappropriate title - it's more like: "3 Beauty icons and a bunch of female social activists who aren't Marilyn Monroe".

• What about Grace Kelly?

• I meant to add her but the night I published this, I started feeling like I had the flu so I made it a mini my take. At least now I am feeling better.

• Ok, I hope you'll get better :)

• Sophia Loren! YES! Sofia Vergara too!

What Girls Said 9

• emma waston! she is hot!

• Marilyn Monroe's IQ was off the charts...
    First time I ever hear such a thing.
    I came on here for the title, but oh well...

• What about Lupita

• I meant to add because she is very beautiful and I loved her as Patsy in 12 years a slave but the night I published this I got sick so I just made it into a mini my take the next one I make she will definitely be in it.

• Awesome sauced :D get better by the way

• Audrey Hepburn is and always will be my favorite.

• Why is there nothing about Audry?

• i meant to put a description but the night i published this, i was feeling sick so i just published it without double checking everything anyways i love everything about her. Her fashion and acting were always perfect and the fact that she is a humanitarian only makes it better.

• I don't consider some of these women to be beauty icons. Marilyn, Audrey, Emma, and a few others, yes. Calling Malala, Amelia, and Lizzie beauty icons demeans them. They aren't praised for being beautiful, they are praised for their activism. That's not to say they aren't beautiful (they are), but their accomplishments are far more important.

• I know most of the women listed and I agree with you.

• Great MyTake

• I like Audrey's style/fashion.

• i meant to add a description but i love everything about her. Her fashion and acting were always perfect and the fact that she is a humanitarian only makes it better.