Why is everybody so against plastic surgery?

There's such a negative stigma surrounding these procedures. I know they're cosmetic (and generally permanent) but seriously I don't understand what the big fuss is about.

People are encouraged to be the best they can be academically and health-wise at school, so when you become older what is stopping you from being the most attractive self you can be?

I was looking at this profile of a really gorgeous girl on instagram with my friends when one of them said, "Oh, she probably had plastic surgery so it doesn't count." In comparison, if a person did amazingly well on an exam, nobody would say "Oh, he had a private tutor so his marks don't count."

(This is the girl from instagram, who has undergone LOTS of plastic surgery) Why is everybody so against plastic surgery?

Sure, I understand how it may negatively impact your/other's self esteem but as a high school student, I've spent the last years of my life striving to achieve my full potential in literally everything else, including the physical attractiveness of your body. If the only thing holding me back from being the most beautiful I can be is my nose, should I be harshly judged for getting a nose job? (Of course,

Another interesting (but not directly related) point is how in plent of young adult literature, advanced future civilisations are a big fan of body modification.

If these books are describing the near future to have plastic surgery being the norm, then doesn't that mean that we will slowly accept these operations anyway?

I understand that encouraging these procedures may cause young poeple to have low self esteem if they do not decide to change themselves, and we should embrace our flaws. All I'm asking is why should you be socially punished for editing them?

Anyway this is just my opinion, let me know what you think!

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 10

• Ehh... plastic surgery focuses quite a lot on looks, which can be considered shallow/vain.

It's also artificial, which is considered not good on people. How many folks have high opinions of practiced "pick up artists" or men who fake their charisma?

There's also potential harm.

• This one of those cases where you can see both sides of the argument - Your assertions are perfectly valid if it helps someone feel a lot better but it is when people start to yearn for things that society has implanted into their psyche what I mean is that it is hugely possible that person is fine as they are but feels pressure to change for unnecessary reasons.
    It is like eating disorders - Dieting is good for health and self esteem issues but can become self defeating if a person engages in extreme dieting tactics or goes into unhealthy underweight range.

• Unless it is some hideous deformity - or maybe a gross mole - I am definitely against it. You need to have a better self-image than that.

A couple years ago there was a guy who was having surgery to look like a cat. Just on his face, as far as I know. Maybe he thought he was making himself to be the best he could be?

Anyway he did wind up looking like a sort of messed-up human version of a cat. Then he killed himself.

Nine times. OK that wasn't funny.

• I am against cosmetic surgery in excess. I am against going under the knife for cosmetic surgery without knowing all the risks and possible effects. I'm not against cosmetic surgery.

• Because they can lower a girl's self esteem

• Plastic surgery should never have been invented.. It should only be used by those who have been in an accident and had something that is impossible to heal, like burn victims or something.

• because the same type of women are always demanding a REAL MEN when she's all fake.

jk

• Our society wants to teach people to love themselves for who they are. Therefore it is difficult to say cosmetic surgery is okay, without looking like we don't support learning to love yourself. People have trouble finding that balance, so instead just go to the extreme that our society won't accuse of being shallow.

• If they can't love their natural body why should they expect someone to fall in love with their fake body?

• Lol I an absolutely pro plastic surgery. If something makes you insecure on a daily basis when you look in the mirror and you have the money than why the hell not? I'm a bodybuilder (Not me in the pic.. that is a joke) but I eventually want to make money off of my physique and looks. Maybe just doing instagram stuff. I plan on getting a rhinoplasty/chin augmentation to help balance out my facial proportions. Occasional botox for photos and what not. I have a 10 body but a 7 face. I could easily boost myself up to be top tier with these operations. The two are going to be $8,000 all together and will be done together with a couple week recovery time. That is honestly nothing when comparing it to a life time result. It's 2015 lol.. almost 2016. Most plastic surgery looks absolutely amazing today when done by the right people. I don't judge other people why are they going to judge me. I don't have low self esteem but this is what makes me happy. I don't think anything is wrong with it at all.

• I just want to say, i like you attitude of, i dont judge you so dont judge me. I wish more people would look at life like that. I want people to do what they want to do to make themselves happy. Good for you man, hope it works out the way you want it to.

What Girls Said 1

• People just say it so they feel better about themselves in comparison.