What's wrong with copying a culture?

I think if your hair has the ability to do the black hairstyles and you make it look good why not. What is it doing to hurt the black people? I'm infatuated with all the braids twists cornrows etc. that black people do. If I use it and it looks good on me, it my hair so there for its myhairstyle. I dont see it belonging to black people when it my head of hair. C'mon people it just hair, live a little. A part life is trying new things right. I'm not saying go do crazy thing all the time, but putting other girls down for wearing "black hairstyles" is very hurtful. It's my hair and my choices and it shouldn't bother you that much. I'm not hating on anything except the hateful comments over some hair and what ethnicity it belongs too. Why wouldn't I be able to wear a hairtsyle because it was less fortunate for someone else?Whats wrong with copying a culture?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 2

• I agree - I don't see the fuss - If you admire a style from another culture or race it is fair enough to wear it - I only have a line for things that would have maybe religious or cultural significance and the wearing of them may seem to belittle them - An example would be a Christian or non Christian having a a crucifix tattoo for cosmetic purposes - I have always liked the braids/cornrows on black girls amd think it can look very well on white girls as well.

• "Why wouldn't I be able to wear a hairtsyle because it was less fortunate for someone else?"

I am not exactly sure what you mean by that. Could you explain it some more?

What Girls Said 6

• Remember this:

Copying is the greatest form of flattery.

The person may not be doing it to offend or mock a person or culture, they may just really like it and want to rock it. Like in your case. :)

I love wearing my hair straight. Does that mean I'm stealing white people's culture? No. I just like the style and want to wear it.

• Black people straighten their hair due to assimilation. Because white people used to make fun of their hair, call it nappy, and reject them in the workplace if they didn't straighten it. There's a difference between a Black person with straight hair and a white person wearing dreadlocks.

• You're welcome, love. I know you are just being kind hearted and attempting to see things from a perspective that's not just yours. Just wanted to clarify that there is a difference and what you are doing doesn't even come close to stealing a culture.

• Totally agree.

• I guess it depends on the person imitating the culture. If you are a white minority in a black neighborhood, maybe one of your friends braided your hair. If you identify with that culture more than your own it may be a natural thing to do. Otherwise, I can see someone getting annoyed like you're stealing their idea.

• Well you be got to look at history. white people have thousands of years of history of invading lands, and enslaving people and stealing their culture and shaming people for their ways, looks and beliefs. So yes culture appropriation is real.

• I didn't say culture appropriation wasn't real. White people have thousands of years of history of invading lands, and enslaving people and stealing their culture and shaming people for their ways. Yes I believe this. Im not saying white people didn't steal. etc. Im was told about those types problems and that why I dont do it. Do you think its okay to not like something about another because of what some ancestor of theirs did 100 years back? I believe everybody is born new and deserves to be judged from there on instead of accusing them of history. Racism is taught. I believe cultural appropriation is real but i don't think anything wrong with it to a certain extent I guess. What could copying something do to offend somebody, it pretty much a compliment. All races share something with another. We are all connected in a way, and not just racially. I dont believe in what racist white people believe in at all, who am I to judge b/c my dads not white he is indian and shows it well.

• You gotta take look at history if you think white people were the only ones doing that. That's humanity, not just white people -_-

• @AleDeEurope yes look prehistory and how long the Roman reigned... and what continents they invaded. Fyi I'm white Lol.. I'm just now white people have along history of taking what's not theirs

• I so feel you! I used to have yarn braids and, as I live in Europe, I actually had a lot of black people (and just people in general) complimenting me on my hairstyle and saying it looked really cool but as soon as I posted a photo of it on Twitter and on here I got this "culture appropriation" and "looks disgusting" kinda shit..

• lol People like sharing rude opinions, b/c it won't get them in trouble finally, haha.
      They know you are cute though and get attention so it will mess with the cultural oppropriation, like Yeah it might be but whats wrong with it. All humans share something from every race.

• Because back people will blame you for sh*t you've never done lmfao. Majority of them dislike white people.

• @baepink There's a high level of self-absorption in this post. To sum it up, entitled white girls wearing dreadlocks makes them look like culture vultures. It's backwards for a group who has oppressed minorities and made them feel like parts of their racial identity are unacceptable in the workplace or in terms of global beauty to turn around and imitate it.

I recommend that you put aside your self-centered lens and do some self-educating. I'm sure you can find some highly informative, in-depth articles on this topic. No offense, but I really don't have the patience to sit online and educate racially oblivious, racially illiterate people who are too busy trying to validate their entitlement and lack of empathy that they fail to see how something is wrong.

• You obviously not making a change my being ugly. To you it makes them look like culture vultures, whats the problem with that anyway if it for a harmless reason. Im self absorbed in this topic b/c it is about my likeings and interests and how it suits me in a good way. About oppressed minorities and how white people criticized them by there looks that is true but it wasn't me! Stop thinking all white people are racist and cruel. I never hurt someone on how they looked, actually Its the opposite. Yes some hairstyle are never allowed in certain restraunts b/c its not the style they want for the owners business, not b/c it ugly. Dont be a prude, be professional. You put me down before you here my first comment so that must mean im right if it got you so upset to hear the truth, take a seat, honey.

• Educate myself on precisely what, sweetheart?

• Love, stop reducing your womanhood. I have two degrees and an amazing job. You sitting over there and desperately making up random insults to soothe your pride is not a good look. You are much closer to high school than I am when it comes to age and mind it seems.

I'm not ignorant for hitting you with truth you clearly weren't prepared to receive.