The Struggles of Being a Faux-Redhead

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love being a redhead. It feels more natural to me than being my, well, natural brunette color. But the upkeep! Red is one of, if not the, hardest colors to maintain. Before I brought oVertone into my life (which we'll talk about soon), it was pretty much hell.

The Struggles of Being a Faux-Redhead

I hate taking cold showers, but cold showers are recommended when you dye your hair. Especially when you dye it red. It makes the color last longer than if you were to take a warm or hot shower. But I can't do it, I just can't withstand the freezing water snapping against my skin. So my hair faded...fast. And I was left unstatisfied that the money I spent on the dye went to waste because the color only lasted for two weeks max before looking dull and boring.

On the flipside though, that product I mentioned above, oVertone? It's changed the game for me. No more fast-fading hair because I steadfastly refuse to take cold showers! I'm not re-dying my hair at an alarming rate and making it get thinner and thinner just to maintain a look. The makers of it actually encourage you to use warm water with their products.

The downside? I have to stand outside of the water for 3-5 minutes when using the conditioner to let it soak in, and my water usually ends up getting lukewarm on the verge of cold regardless. But my entire shower isn't cold, and that's what matters.

Shown above is actually a before and after picture. Before the girl used the color depositing conditioner from oVertone, and after she used it. The stuff works pretty great, uses no chemicals, and helps keep your hair looking vibrant until a decet enough time has passed and it's "healthy" to dye your hair again.

But it's not a cure-all for all of my struggles. I still have to dye my hair eventually, and my hair does still fade at a sadly fast rate. So I'm still damaging my hair, just not as frequenly as I used to.

Another downside? The weekly deep conditioner treatment stains my hands a lovely magenta / pink color when I apply it. It washes off eventually, but it's definitely not something you want to do when you've got plans later in the day.

See? lovely pink. People would just adore to shake my hands in this state.

And the last struggle, that really effects others in my life more than it effects me because I usually am oblivious to it the majority of the time. I leave red stains behind sometimes.

• Take a bath in a nice, white porcelain tub? Chances are there's a pinkish red spot on the tub where I was resting my head / neck.
  • Hands get a little crazy when scrubbing in the conditioner and/or hair dye? Probably got flecks of red dye all over the bathroom counter, and somehow the toilet.
  • That first night after you've dyed your hair? Good chance you've missed some, or that your hair is still bleeding a bit of color. White pillow case? Pink pillow case.

Despite all of these struggles though, however minor they may be, I wouldn't trade being a redhead for the world. I feel sassier, more empowered, more confident as a redhead than I ever have as any other hair color. 2016, for me, is the year of the red.

teawrecks is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 4

• I am not an expert on dying your hair, not even sure why I read this , I just got used to following you and reading all your takes. Just one bit caught my eye - You have to keep your hair out of the water for 3 to 5 minutes while conditioning hair and water goes lukewarm - Turn water off, buy a really cheap towelling robe to throw on to stay warm and then when it is time go back to a warm shower.

• Oh man. Rinsing the stuff out of your hair and then finding little sprayed-droplets everywhere - on the tiles, on the shower curtain, *everywhere*. Best to run the shower and basically crawl in like a snake to minimise the spray.

Nice look. I used to have mine that colour too, believe it or not.

• I luv red heads!

• well... your hair is pink not red thats 1 , and 2 natural hair color easily wins any day of the week, i like make up but changing the entire hair color is a no no for me

What Girls Said 13

• Why don't you just put yr hair up in a cap every other shower? Or every 2 out of 3 showers?

Yr color would last longer that way. And there's really no need to wash yr hair every time you shower, anyway-- probably does more bad than good, in fact.

• Because my hair gets greasy exceptionally fast. I use dry shampoo some days, but for the most part I just can't NOT wash my hair.

• I mean it might be normal but my hair looks gross and looks like I've gone a week without washing it even when it's only been a day lol

• I find the more often I wash my hair the less time I can go without washing. As my mother is a hair dresser she taught me to go 3-4 between washes and if you make that your normal you should be fine. Washing your hair so often is actually damaging to it. Just go a few weeks slowly trying increase the number of day between washes. It will be goof for your hair and way less upkeep too.

• Love the take!

It is extremely hard finding the right hair dye that lasts longer and looks amazing with the hair color. Though i had to stop because having to buy 3 boxes of hair dye just to cover my hair every 2-3 months. Started to become annoying.

The brand I would buy was garnier fructis
    4.bp.blogspot.com/.../garnierredhair.JPG

So the color would come out like this basically.
    i.ytimg.com/vi/8FOjRF76R7w/maxresdefault.jpg

• Why don't you wash first, while the water is still hot. Then do the hair thing. And turn the water off while you wait.

• as a former burgundy-head [lol], i can witness to this. man, first time i had a shower after i dyed it... i swear my shower turned into a horror scene. red EVERYWHERE. on the walls, the floor, for a second i thought my period had come lmao!

every time i washed it, a little more came out, and it stained my pillows, towels, clothes etc. my hands never went pink though.

all that aside, i LOVED it. it was such a sexy colour and i might do it again someday.
    u also work it so well, keep slaying girl!

• I am dying my hair ginger red and yeah it does fade after some time but my hair is still orange so it's OK. The most annoying thing is that I have to dye y whole hair every month because it fades and when I dye it my head is dyed too and I have to wait for 2 days to wash my hair and my head is orange...

• I once dyed my hair red and the biggest struggle is when I got in the shower after dyeing it and it looks like Saw IV. I knew it was hair dye, but it looked completely indistinguishable from pools of blood. It freaked me out so much I had to close my eyes for the entire shower and tell myself that it was hair dye lol

• It is true that red dye doesn't last as long. It has to do with the fact that the red color actually have larger molecules than other colors of dye and therefore it doesn't "fit" as easily into the hair.
    Here's a couple things I do to make my red hair last longer. I only wash my hair 3 days a week with color safe shampoo. I shower in hot water but rinse with cold. I don't even get my hair wet on the off days.
    Color safe condition as well.
    You might want to consider getting a Brazilian straightening a few times a year which is just a layer of keratin. It makes your hair healthier and will make the color last longer. Good luck!

• You do look really good with red hair!

• I felt like I was reading an add...

• Why do you dye your hair red? I'm a redhead and I'd love to have long brown hair !

• I'm a ginger by Choice. I dye my hair with henna which is a natural way of dying it. It's more of an orange and I love it. Have done it for over 5 years now. Only four to five times a year... Love love love it, even though applying the stuff is a pain in the...

• Is it still damaging even if a little? Or is there no issue since it's natural?

• @Cookies_AndMilk it's even good for my hair, becomes more healthy And helps My sensitive skin on My head to repair :) it's great.
      But you can't mix henna with normal die.. Henna takes the natural hair colour and adjusts it a little. If there is die underneath it's not working

• Yes, I feel you with this Take! I have auburn hair, but I've gone red before. From natural reds to the more vibrant fire engine ones, similar to the one in your last gif. I'll be looking in to oVertone, thanks!

• I know the feeling. I'm a blond gone ginger and most people think it's my natural hair color.