Tips And Tricks For Naturally Curly Hair

Girls, do you have curly hair? Is it ringlets or curls? Thick or thin?

Well here's some tips and tricks for styles and managing your curly hair.

Tips And Tricks For Naturally Curly Hair.

Shampoo it less often.

If you shower every weekday, shampoo only 2/5 days.

If you shower every other day, 2-4 times every 2 weeks works best. An actress named Francia Raisa has naturally thick and curled hair, and she follows this rule. It allows her hair to be lucious and gorgeous.

Let conditioner sit.

Use a normal amount of conditioner but allow it to sit for a few minutes. Say, while you're washing your body or shaving some body hair. But don't allow it to sit for too long, or else your hair will be greasy or feel like straw.

Buns are great.

Instead of pony-tails, put your hair in a tight bun. I've found out that most pony-tails for me end up falling out more often (cause my hair is thick) and it causes lots of fly-aways. Buns trap more hair and don't fall out as easily.

Brush only when wet.

You might already know this, but brushing curly hair = FRIZZ. So right after a shower, brush your hair however you part it, and let it air dry. Your hair will be very knotty if you don't brush after a shower. I know how we all hate brushing out the knots!

Use hair gels to tame fly-aways.

I personally recommend Redken Curvacious Ringlet because it works the best in my opinion but any gel made for curly and/or thick hair will work. The GOOD brans will require you to get your hair wet, towel dry it and use a little to scrunch up your hair while it's wet. It will also tame any hair that's frizzy or out of place once it's dry but don't use too much! Your hair can become hard (as if you used a lot of hairspray).

Get it cut so it's even front to back.

Curly hair is a lot more difficult to style and deal with if your hair is longer in the back and shorter than the rest in the front. (Some layered styles cause that).

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I hope this helped at all.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 4

What Girls Said 14

• great take! i have curly hair and i hate when people touch my hair... because it gets all tangled... and the girl in the second pic's hair is not curly by the way...

• True, but I do layers around the face , too many and you start looking like a lion. Layers create volume with curls. But your right on though

• I LOVE LOVE my curly hair! :-)

• "get it cut even" this is a GREAT tip, most curly haired girls go to salons where they wet the hair and then cut it the same as straight haired people but what you SHOULD ask for is the DevaCut

what they do is they cut your each individual curl in it's natural springy state so that it's perfectly even

static1.squarespace.com/.../...d+after+devacut.jpg
    s3-media3.fl.yelpcdn.com/.../o.jpg

• The first and the third girls are perfection!!!

• I comb BEFORE showering, and I just lightly spread the shampoo through it, trying not to mess it up and move it around too much. After showering and conditioning, I just finger comb while wet or use large toothed comb, add BB cream to the ends and let it air dry or put it in a loose bun.

• Fellow curly head :)

Tips that work for me

Finger comb if possible, the curls stay in their shape better
    Deep condition at least every 2 weeks for moisture and shine
    Use as little heat as possible, not only will it make curly hair less shiny, it can also ruin the curl pattern.
    Comb from the bottom and work up.
    Use a satin pillow case, it absorbs less moisture and your hair won't get as frizzy.
    Put hair in a top knot (not too tight), or a few, to retain moisture and curl shape.

• Whenever i put conditioner on when showering my curls sag and don't even look like curls anymore

• I COMB not brush but I tried the denman brush once and ended up with splits :(
    So people with tight curls shouldn't brush

• I didn't know layering was bad... I was told for YEARS that layering was good for curly hair

• in my opinion its bad, I got my hair layered and it was the WORST

• They didn't say layering is bad. They just said it's a lot more difficult to style and deal with. I have very curly hair, ringlets, and when I get a cut I always ask for LONG layers. That's the best because it kind of cuts into the curl so it lays better. Most times what I do to style it is nothing. I shampoo and condition and just let it air dry. The only thing else I do is since I love bangs, I flat iron my bangs. Other times, I shampoo and condition, towel dry, brush it, apply Moroccan oil, let it air dry then flat iron it.

• tight buns actually cause a lot of breakage. a loose bun is OK, with the right kind of hair accessory

• ... also, curls come out WAAAY better if you brush them under running water.

• hmm running water? ill give that a try. Though i tried while washing it and a lot of hair fell out. They say combing hair while wet is not that good since hair is weak when wet.

• @simplyadorable that's a myth. it anything I'd say it seems a lot stronger. try brushing it before you add shampoo or after conditioning

• To anyone thinking of layering curly hair, big no no! It makes it bounce up and will look shorter... Unless you're one to like short hair, stay away from layers and fringes

• I don't have curly hair, but my sister does. I'm gonna tell her about this :)

• I didn t notice you have curly hair.
    alright nice take.
    I think layer might look nice too, I wanna cut my hair soon like that.