Make-Up vs. Natural Face

Make-Up vs. Natural Face

Hi. Can we all just be really honest here for a minute when it comes to women wearing make-up? When men try and tell women that they love the natural look and believe that women don't need or should not wear make-up, they are referring to this type of girl pictured above, Exhibit A. She has a few freckles, sure, but her skin is essentially flawless. She has no acne, no birthmarks, no port wine stains, no Vitiligo, no genetic dark under eye circles or heavy bags under her eyes, few wrinkles if any, and no scars surgical or otherwise. I think most of us would be hard pressed to find a reason for her to really wear make-up other then for the fun of it, or because she wanted to, or she was going to an event or something, but for the rest of this woman's life, she could go make-up free, and most importantly for the most part, go free of judgement for going out in the world with her natural face.

Now contrast that with the equally natural faces on left below:

Facial discoloring, deep under eye circles

Vitiligo, a non-contagious genetic condition which causes patches of your skin to lose pigment completely.

Cystic Acne, extremely difficult to treat and often re-occurring

Port Wine stain, large, deep red birthmark

Just because we left behind the bullies of the world in high school doesn't mean the world beyond those doors are loving and accepting of things you are born with and cannot change. I all but guarantee that these women have been ridiculed for their conditions and made to feel bad about the way they naturally look. It's easy to say to someone it shouldn't matter, until of course you have been in their shoes and had to deal with the constant comments and stares and offensive things people tell them flat out. I don't think its fair to just throw a blanket statement over every woman who makes the choice to wear make-up to say she's trying to deceive the world or some guy in a club with her make-up. Some women wear make-up so they can simply live their day to day lives without feeling like the world thinks they are monsters or sickly or made to be the butt of some cruel joke.

Aside from the genetic side of it, everyone wants to see the actress Kerry Washington on right. They would look at her and say she's gorgeous and flawless and so natural on photo right, but underneath, without the aid of 3 make-up artists doing hours of make-up, to make her "look natural," she looks like most of the rest of us...under eye circles, acne, undefined brows, etc. but no one is paying for a magazine cover, a movie, or a television show with the Kerry on left. If we're being honest, given the side by side, I'm sure if we polled, the percentage to prefer right over left would be significantly higher and yet left is truly natural.

Same thing goes for stars like Sofia Vegara's "natural look" as created by hours of make-up on right. People don't want to know she has the same bags or perhaps pale skin and wrinkles some of us also tend to have without the aid of make-up. People just like to think that she looks like on right all the time, like she wakes up like that, but she's a human being and likes to wear make-up to not necessarily mask her true face, but enhance it.

And just like us normal folk, and the varying degrees of natural, there are models and celebrities who do in fact fall into that naturally flawless category of Exhibit A, like a Heidi Klum. Not everyone wins the genetic lottery like this where you'd once again be hard pressed to find someone who would judge her natural face, on right, or ridicule her for what she was born with in a side by side comparison with and without make-up.

I understand that most guys don't want someone to look like an entirely different person underneath their make-up but on the same token, those same people judge harshly someone with bad acne or dark under eye circles or various genetic disorders. That's what women and men are up against and why some find comfort in make-up, and feel like it does allow the world to view them as just as beautiful or "normal" or worthy of praise as some of their counterparts and to go through a day without ridicule.

And by the way, some men wear make-up too and probably for some of the same reasons women do...enhancement, beauty, evening out of skin, because it makes them feel good, to cover up the same types of genetic disorders, etc.

BeeNee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 15

• Make up is not only fake but is often grotesque on unattractive people. Not every woman is pleasing to look at but they needn't be so insecure about it. Not that people wearing make up is any of my business.

• what kind of nonsense is that? if they can love them in their natural state they aren't worth it.

• I love freckles, the first girl covering them up is a shame.

I hate NATURAL looking makeup. If you are going to wear makeup, be creative. If you are doing it to hide your insecurities (which most girls do) then all you are doing is shining a magnifying glass on how insecure you are. Booooooooo.

• Yeah makeup is magic if you look fucked up but if you dont you look like your trying to hard to be pretty when you already are

• Slight makeup is fine. But when you put so much on that it completely changes your face that just screams fake.

• Natural face with some touch up, but natural

• This is why i hate makeup. You think she pretty and then BLAM!
    cf.girlsaskguys.com/.../...8-8074-043ce20b2c83.jpg
    She just needs to be confident with her condition and not try to fool people. She is pretty both ways #vitiligo
    Kerry Washington would probably be pretty both ways she is just having a breakout or something
    cf.girlsaskguys.com/.../...1-af2b-7f37d3bb45ea.jpg

• see, i feel like her situation makes it understandable to use makeup. it's the only way she will ever see a normal face on herself, because her blemishes are excess, and it's a lose lose situation because people will criticize you for how you look naturally and then critcize you for trying to do something about it. you have ONE life. why not opt for what gets you treated the best? i think it's important in a relationship for her to show what she looks like underneath... that's legit and if she refused, i understand it's a problem. but man, some of you guys get so possessive about a woman's beauty. that her beauty is about your satisfaction not about her self-confidence.

• @beenee
      1) If your acne is bad let me know, dont hide it. Everyone gets it.
      2) There is nothing wrong with virtiligo, the girl in the pic looks nice with it.
      3) Actions speak louder than words and makeup is the action of lying about your face

• Well, make-up really isn't just about you or the public's opinion. It's about the person wearing it and how 'they' feel in regards to wearing it. I'm pretty sure you wear deodorant... because you're lying about your natural human smells? Yeah, well, let's not stand so high up in the air with our nose up on that pulpit, and try to school others on what "should be" normal and natural. Let's just sum it up. You personally care a whole ton about your girlfriend being natural. I'm sure you'll find her. Meanwhile, all else will continue to either wear make-up because they want to, or not.

• Obviously men like women with makeup; women aren't stupid. They wouldn't be buying makeup for thousands of years of it didn't work.

• thanks for article

• The point is don't cake it on. Obviously "the natural look" doesn't refer to people with things that look weird or gross on their face and what you could take away from this is that you'd still want to be able to look good with less/out make-up.

It's evolutionary biology. Males are looking for the healthy and fertile females. So if you have weird skin shit going on then it's naturally a turn off, even if you try to cover it up. BL. Funnily enough, while the right-sides are better for most of these women, I think I prefer the left-side of the first one, which sums up the situation nicely: Guys want girls that look attractive AND who wear less/no makeup. Easy.

• Yes, absolutely my point. In the same way I'm asking you not to pretend that's true, it's no different from girls who want the same thing from guys. Guys with really bad acne and skin conditions go through the same exact things except society makes it difficult for them to try and wear make-up to conceal or cover their conditions.

• Well, that's just highschool. You'd still be fucked even if you didn't cover the acne. Outside of that I really don't think guys are going to make a big deal about it. Also there's actual teasing, then there's ribbing, you've got to embrace it and not let the ribbing get to you.

• Sure, everyone gets teased for something, but usually these people aren't being teased, they are being outright bullied mercilessly. It goes far beyond just the norms, which is why I said, I think it's unfair for people to judge them for wanting to wear make-up because most have never been in their shoes or had people meet them and look at them with actual disgust. You don't just get over that feeling. I have a guy friend who has cystic acne and to hear some of the things he's been through, it's heart breaking.

• I want a girl to not wear make up to know just how attracted I am to the real her. The her that I would be waking up next too. Make up can make extremely ugly girls (and guys) look attractive. It's deceiving and it's that deception that I don't like about make up. I prefer girls with little to no make up because that means the girl I'm attracted too is already attractive. Once I know what the girl looks like without makeup, then I don't care if she wears make up as long as it's done correctly. For example, the second pic. Although the makeup hides some of the attractive parts, the way it is applied to her face makes her still look unattractive in my eyes. If makeup is applied correctly, it shouldn't be that noticeable if at all.

• hides some of the unattractive parts*

• Exactly. The girl with vitiligo made it look like that's her natural face. I think she looks fine without it, but I can understand why she would want to wear make up. A white girl I went to school with had vitiligo and because she was white it wasn't as noticeable, and she never covered it up, but it makes sense for a girl with dark skin complexion to wear makeup to cover up her vitiligo. Like I said, that girl looks fine naturally because of her facial features and clean skin, but the makeup is added on properly to the point you can't really tell.

• I was thinking about the vitiligo case. Sometimes I think instead of actually covering it up completely, maybe one could have it be there and noticeable, but maybe a different tone/shade/color to be truthful enough to admit, understandably since there is an initial shock value sometimes...

• I kinda wish it was okay for men to wear makeup...

• As evidenced by the photos, it can be done, but I gather on a very basic level using concealer. I doubt anyone would know unless they saw you either applying it or taking it off.

• This debate has taking on a life of its own. Men say (in gruff tone) "We want NATURAL, NO MAKE UP on woman, look FAKE" and women say (in indignant tone)" BUT, BUT, BUT".
    It leads to me having to give a answer in questions on make up that looks like a sentence in a legal document which runs something like this " I like light/subtle/nude/no make up that gives a natural appearance which includes make up for blemishes etc."
    Bottom line is a lot of guys like the natural look, lots of girls like bold make up look, so be it - Some people like sports and some don't, we have four TVs in the house no need to fall out is there.

• It's the same tired and unnecessary argument as the "nice guy" people.

When women say they want "nice guys", it's obviously in the context of guys whom they already find attractive.

When men say they want "no makeup", it's obviously in the context of women whom they already find attractive.

This should be common sense, but it's not for many people.

• i think the online world distorts reality quite a bit in that people will say what they like and prefer and who they end up going for in real life does not match all their internal thoughts. I see online revelations as just thinking out loud lol.

• In the cases of people with disfiguring conditions they do look better with makeup. But honestly most of the other pictures the no-makeup ones look more attractive to me. The first and last female pics particularly. There's no comparison in my mind on the last one. The makeup makes her look spooky and the scrubbed face is very attractive if somewhat old.

• Snap 😶
    Aren't filters enough to hide minor disorders...

What Girls Said 19

• That girl has a really long neck in pic no1.

• Yes! Totally agree. Natural looking make-up is amazing!

• Here's a thought quit being so insecure of yourself that you criticize others to make you feel better. And boys, usually when a woman wears makeup, it's for herself. You have no say about what a woman does with herself, and vice versa. I just really wish to see people stop bitching because everyone has different beliefs, ideals, and tastes. You can't please everyone

• I'd like to add to your take, if I may.
    Makeup can only ENHANCE what you already have. If you've got a giant nose and droopy eyes, or if you're just plain ugly, makeup can't change that. Makeup can't turn a girl with poor facial structure, narrow lips, tiny eyes, and flat eyebrows into a Kardashian. At the end of the day, she's just the same old
    vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/.../latest

• maybe it is usefull but I hate make up

• By all means, if you hate it, don't wear it, but me personally I'm would never come down on you for making whatever choice you want about what you put or use on your own body as long as its not harmful/dangerous to you. Love to wear it or leave it at home, you do what makes you happy.

• I wonder if the last picture is a guy who has SLE (systemic lupus erythematosis).

Anyway, I don't use any make-up, because I don't make an income yet, and I don't want to use my parents' hard-earned money on luxuries. But this summer, if I get hired, then I'll spend some money on a very good concealer to conceal my moles and maybe blush to make my cheeks appear slightly rosier. I may spend another part of my income on piano lessons... even if it means a meeting every few months. And lastly, the rest of the income goes towards tuition, lunch, and bills.

• Naturally beautiful is better than fake beautiful.

• said by many a people who have never had to deal with any of the aforementioned skin conditions.

• It's ok if you have some sort of skin condition.

• of course its 'ok' as there is nothing you can do about it, but someone posted in the comments a great video which pretty much highlights the problems of make-up vs. no makeup

• It's a good thing that the opinions of men should have absolutely zero influence, on how much makeup you choose to wear. Personally I don't wear makeup to cover anything Im ashamed of, I simply love makeup and I think it's fun to create a different look ever day, but I'll still leave my house without it and feel good so the whole "Only insecure girls wear makeup" is a load of shit, too.
    Those not flawless women above should be able to go out and not be ridiculed, but of course they should not at all be judged for covering up. Most women are not gorgeous without makeup, and so what? It's a different type of imperfect beauty the show.
    Makeup or no makeup, neither is better than the other.

• There's this video from "my pale skin" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWTRwj9t-vU which totally explain what I think.
    A lot of people don't have perfect skin and they like to cover it. How is that a problem? As this girl show in his video, people say she's ugly because of her acne then call her a liar for using makeup. People are always judging. Just leave them me. What if it makes someone better about their self esteem. We don't all have that chance.

As for my personal take on my makeup, I find it really fun. My boyfriend like me with or without it. I like myself with or without makeup. I happen to have very pale skin and during winter, I look like a ghost so yes, I use makeup to warm it all up.
    I can go without makeup easily but I also love to have fun, use a bright lipstick and try new things. And I just don't give a shit if me with red lips bothers people

• when she shed that tear..

• This video really sums it all up and so well done. Thank you for sharing it. We don't just live in this world alone. People will judge you no matter what, but I think everyone does things to make themselves feel better, look better, smell better, etc. that aren't natural, but who cares. It's the same way I feel about religion. If waking up and going to church and believing in God helps you make it through the day, why is that a bad thing. I'd rather that or someone wearing make-up, then them being suicidal or hating themselves every day because people can be cruel. You can be bare faced and love yourself. You can wear mascara and concealer and love yourself. If someone else doesn't get that, well f@ck that, surround yourself with people who do.

• Now THAT girl know how to do make-up. I could never cover my acne worth sh*t

• I feel like I have a love hate relationship with makeup. I prefer the feeling of being makeup free because I have really sensitive skin. I also have a constant flushed face. It varies from a healthy "natural glow" to bright red. There's been times when I've been asked if I got a sunburn because I was that red. Also since I switched from birth control pills to other methods I now am prone to one or two random cystic pimples that always leave scars. And its just really shitty to look in the mirror and think "ugh again?" So when i go to school or when I'm around my family I don't wear makeup because I don't really talk to anyone at school anyways and am not trying to impress anyone. On days when I'm feeling kind of ugly or I'm going to be in a more social setting I turn to my makeup, or if I feel like I could use a confidence boost. I try to keep my makeup as natural as possible though.

But about the natural vs makeup I think its a really frustrating struggle. I think guys see people with naturally flawless skin, or they watch movies where actors have had professional makeup done to appear as if they aren't wearing makeup, and guys assume that's what people look like under makeup. I feel like if you don't wear makeup people think you're boring or don't care about your looks. And if you do wear makeup people think you're fake or high maintenance. It's a lose lose situation.

• Ugh! this is everything right here in your comments. I think just about every person on the planet does something unnatural to enhance themselves or their looks, or the way they smell, or the way their hair grows, and on down the line, so to me its hypocritical for someone to say you should be natural when they are doing unnatural things to enhance themselves. I think most guys though, simply want a girl who either wears no make-up because is is of course of the flawless variety or one that puts on natural colors and styles. I mean, in my life time, I cannot recall a single guy ever saying, your pimples look fantastic just the way they are, continue to grow them as is, LOL. No, they're gross and unsightly, and if a little concealer disguises them until they go away, great. In the end I think if you surround yourself with decent people overall that aren't judging whoever it is you are, then all will be good in the world.

• I prefer to go without any make up at all, unless I'm going out for special occasions or I wear it if and when I can be bother to apply it. I only ever wear eye-shadow, eyeliner, mascara and lipstick. So I don't look all that different to the extent that I'm unrecognizable. Lol. Foundation doesn't agree with me and most of them clog your pores. My preference is to go without and let my skin breathe. Surprisingly I still get plenty of attention from guys. With me what you see is what you get.

• Meh, I don't need make-up.

• I prefer whatever makes them feel the happiest and most comfortable. If that is glam makeup everyday or no makeup everyday, or mix and matched, it's whatever makes that person feel the most confident that is the best look for them.

• I just agree with the take. It's an eye opener.

• I never wear make-up because I'm so bad at it, whoever did all their make-up is obviously a professional or bought expensive products

• This is awesome. Thank you for making this. I think a lot of guys fail to understand what natural really means and how natural, for an overwhelming percentage of people means letting the eye circle, discoloration and acne scars stand there for everyone to see.

• I don't get it either. There was this guy who constantly bragged about how he loves the natural looking girl with no make up. He was flirting with me for quite some times so one day he texted me asking what am I doing. I told him I was done working out and he asked for my picture. I sent him and he replied me "nice". That was the last word he ever said to me. I never heard from him since then.

The truth is guys don't have idea what is makeup. All of the 'natural' looking girls whom they drool over actually DO wear makeup. It takes even longer to do the natural looking makeover and a lot of people don't even acknowledge this.

Even on this site when the 'no makeup' questions being posted, I have seen tons of girls who came out posting their self-claiming no makeup pictures lol when the truth is 90% of them are wearing makeup with the right selection of lighting. I don't judge them for doing so. I mean I can see the reason but I'm wondering when the 'I love no makeup girls' stigma will be gone :D

• I'm done working out*

• "All of the 'natural' looking girls whom they drool over actually DO wear makeup."

Not true at all, quite a few girls are stunning even with zero makeup on.

• @koko124 That is precisely my very first point, that it is "certain" girls who are stunning without make-up whom guys are actually referring to when they say they like a girl without make-up, and usually they are dating these girls who have the luck of genetics on their side so they project this idea that all women are just so stunning without make-up, when most of us might work to look as natural as possible with a light touch and earthy tones, but we're still wearing make-up. Even concealer to cover up a dark under eye or a spot or two of acne is not fully natural.

• some people look better without make up. Exemple : if the people doesn't know how to make a good make up she'll look better without any make up.

• It saddens me that so many people wear make up because they want to fit in

• Everyone does things to fit in, and its not necessarily a bad thing. For example, a prospective employer might not hire someone with cystic acne over someone without, but with make-up, the odds are evened out. Fitting in means this person may find employment, or better employment... and don't think for a second that the way you look doesn't affect your ability to be hired... you are welcome to read up on the dozens of studies on how many things from race, gender, weight, clothing and make-up/beauty effect your chances in this world and specifically in the job field. Fitting in whether you're a zebra on the Savannah, or a human being in a classroom or office can often mean the difference between you're survival, and not.