Work It Girl: Dressing Modestly

Dressing Modestly: Rules: Where to Find

When you hear modest dress, you may be thinking that that means you have to wear a big old shapeless sack dress or maybe that in modern times its impossible to really dress modestly given current fashion trends. Many women, inside and out of cultural and/or religious norms, enjoy or want to dress modestly. Many of us already do dress modestly at work, or church, or when visiting certain places and people. Women who dress modestly may feel as though they don't need to show off their body for whatever reason or feel uncomfortable doing so, or feel safer dressing modestly. I personally am of the opinion that if you want to dress modestly for whatever reason, religious or otherwise, do so and do not allow others to convince you that you have to dress their way, but if you don't want to, and you don't feel you need or have to dress modestly, or only want to do it sometimes, then wear what you like and what makes you feel comfortable and happy. Now having said that, this is a take about those who are choosing to dress modestly and some tips on how to do so.

The Rules

Many religions have different rules on what is considered modest, so the list can expand depending on that or your cultural/personal definitions of modesty, but for most, the pictured articles of clothing are considered by many to be immodest dress. The idea of dressing modestly is that your shoulders are covered, tops do not dip below the start of visible cleavage. Clothes are not made to be tightly fit to the body. Skirts and shorts must be knee length or longer with no front slits. You don't wear clothing that would really show off or "reveal" your body outright.

Active wear and Swimwear

For most women, it's a matter of throwing on a bikini or some capris and hitting the gym, but the tightness or the revealing nature of many swimsuits tends to make them immodest. Thankfully if you enjoy or want or need to dress modestly so that you can still enjoy these activities and be able to workout, there are several solutions. Some clothing companies make swimwear that resembles a long tank or tunic style top which you can wear over what look like capris, or pants. The materials are constructed out of the same breathable materials as swimwear and if you need a head covering, the styles often offer those as an option. As for active wear, you can of course opt to work out in long loose pants or looser capri styles with t-shirts or long sleeves or again, wear a longer shirt that would go down below your butt or wear a workout skirt on top of your capris for more modesty.

How Do You Wear Immodest Clothing?

You might be in a situation where it's hard to find modest clothing or you may need to modify something, to make it more modest. For low cut tops you can use things like big wide scarves or Cami-secret to hide your cleavage in a low cut top. CS clips to your bra and provides a panel covering for your chest. For short skirts, you can add fabric underneath to make them longer or wear capris beneath them. For camisoles, and spaghetti strap dresses, you can wear a shirt or top underneath. You can add a button up or a jacket that covers arms/shoulders and bust.

Where do I find Modest clothing?

Trendy Modest Clothing and Dress Options:

http://www.modestpop.com/

http://www.shabbyapple.com/

https://www.sweetsaltclothing.com/

http://www.sexymodest.com/

Modest Swimwear and Workout Clothing:

https://modli.co/swimwear.html

Wedding, Bridesmaid, and Prom Dresses:

https://latterdaybride.com/modest-wedding-dresses

http://www.allurebridals.com/category/modest?gclid=CKONn638u8wCFceBfgodMCIODQ

BeeNee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 4

• I do like girls that wear short skirts and short dresses. Not every day, but some days during the week. You can't dress modest when you are hitting the club scene. Everyone at night clubs are wearing revealing outfits. It's all about having a balance. You sound like a religious old fashioned person.

• Ha, it's ironic that you write that last sentence because I've in fact written a lot of fashion mytakes, and for a lot of them, there were people accusing me of picking pictures that were too revealing or slutty even, especially when I wrote a take called how to dress classy and sexy, and then I write this, and I'm a, and I'm quoting you here, "religious old fashioned person." I'm guessing you didn't actually read any of the text at all because I actually stated my personal view point on dressing modestly and it certainly has nothing to do with oppressing women and forcing them to dress a certain way. Just goes to show you, people like you are going to judge people unfairly no matter what you do.

• Just my two cents on this. How much modestly are we talking? All of the time or sometimes? I would date a girl that dress modest sometimes if she can dress revealing the other times. Not a big fan of religious girls.

• This isn't a take about dating. It's about women who want to dress modestly whether they are religious or not. Despite what a lot of guys tend to believe, we don't wake up every day of our lives thinking, I wonder what some guy is going to think of my outfit or will this impress some guy which is actually the bigger point of this take which is if women want to dress modestly or don't, it's up to them and it should be their choice and their choice alone.

• Fantastic mytake BeeNee
    Where I am no one dresses modestly and those that do are mocked for doing so. Seeing this has lead me to desire a women who dresses modestly and enjoys it. I love seeing a long flowing skirt on a women. I am honstly really sick of seeing to much skin. It takes away the mystery and the gift of being THE one that she chooses to share it with. When a girl who wears a micro skirt/shorts and a tiny top goes into public every one can see her "goods" because she wants them to. Her boyfriend is one of a few hundred who knows what her cleavage, thighs, belly looks like.

• Great MyTake.

One-shouldered tops just look stupid.

• Sometimes I think people forget they can dress modestly and still look nice, and that guys can dress modestly as well. Great article. Also, and not exactly related to modesty, but maybe general showiness, is the use of strong vs. plain colors or patterns. Bright colors or showy patterns and articles can be seen as boastful, pretentious, or ostentatious also.

What Girls Said 7

• I love the wedding dress in the last picture. I wear a lot of shirts with "inappropriate" messages but its more band shirts and "I'm a badass" type of shirts then anything else

• I love to wear revealing outfits, but then I also have plenty of modest clothing. To me it's about having fun with clothing in general, and having a balance.
    I am very fashion forward and set my own trend.
    I won't always have this figure, so I have no shame in flaunting a little at times.

• Oh, I 100% agree. I think you or anyone should dress the way they want to. If that happens to be modest for them, then so be it, or sexy for others, so be it, or the balance, great.

• Nice Take :)

• I use to go to this Christian college. It was really interesting to see how everyone defined modesty. Some girls wore long skirts to their ankles, others didn't wear shorts or show cleavage, others wore booty shorts and posted bikini pictures. It was all interesting. (though I'm not a fan of butt showing booty shorts, haha)
    Great MyTake.

• Some of my outfits are modest but not church modest while my other outfits are revealing like the ones that I wear to clubs, when I'm having sex, and to the beach.

• I love this. Being a muslim I dress modestly but never compromise on my fashion sense 😊

• Women can be just as alluring with showing too much. It's more a matter of picking the right cut that shows off curves - not about flashing boobs and short shorts lol