6 Reasons Why You Should Not Wear Make-Up

I am personally not against wearing make-up. As a matter of fact, there are many reasons why you should wear make-up. But since most women already do wear make-up, a myTake article about why you should wear make-up is just confirming your own justifications for wearing make-up. So, I write a myTake article on why you should NOT wear make-up instead.

1. Wearing make-up is a waste of time, money and resources. If you want to spend money on make-up, then be prepared for huge expenses. There are many kinds of make-up for different purposes: primers, foundations, eyeshadows, eyeliners, mascara, fake eyelashes, blushes, lipsticks, concealers, brushes, small mirrors, and so much more. All of them cost money, ranging from drugstore prices to brand names. All of them cost resources/materials. A blush container in an all-in-one make-up kit may have 25 colors, but you may only use the ones that match your skintone, leaving the rest to wastage. All of them cost time to apply. If you are a type of person who just wants to wake up and get to work or school or a date with someone, then you do not want to apply make-up that will eat up the wee hours of the morning.

2. Wearing make-up requires constant maintenance. Once you apply make-up, you have to remember to wash your face afterwards. Otherwise, the make-up will clog your pores. You have to be cautious about wearing lipstick, because the lipstick may stain anything that touches your lips, including the lips of your significant other.

3. Your natural appearance already brings satisfaction. Perhaps, you are one of those fortunate people who feel satisfied with their natural appearance. You do not have any scars, wrinkles, blackheads, or whiteheads, and you seldom get acne; so, why should you wear make-up if you have nothing to cover up? Furthermore, you just don't feel the need to "accentuate certain features" or "make up for something that you don't have", because you believe that is a disguise. If a person likes you only when you put on make-up but feels disgust at the sight of your true face, then that person only likes you superficially. Superficial love cannot last forever.

4. Eating a balanced diet with a lot of fruits and vegetables is your way of "applying make-up". Your parents have raised you well by feeding you a balanced diet of fruits and veggies. You drink a lot of water to hydrate yourself. And you never have bad lifestyle habits, such as smoking or doing drugs, that can damage your physical appearance. Your beauty and youthfulness are the products of your healthy lifestyle as much as your genes. Because you already have your way of "applying make-up" that is deeper than the skin (literally), why should you apply make-up to enhance your superficial beauty?

5. Make-up is too feminine. You don't want to do something that is normally associated with women and girls, because (1) you are a manly male or (2) you are a tomboyish female.

6. Your job does not rely on your looks. If you work or plan to work in an industry that relies heavily on beauty and charisma, then make-up can certainly make you look more presentable. However, if your goal is to become a computer programmer, which is a job that depends on your skills and experience, then you do not have to be the hottest guy/girl on the block. Instead, you can just live a healthy life and do your work.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 7

• I honestly DONT care if a woman wants to wear makeup, hey, that's her business.
    But, she shouldn't be like 'women wear makeup because men like it'.

• I don't wear makeup because I think it's a complete waste of time (I'm unattractive already, layers upon layers of products will not change that), but hey, if you want to, don't let anything stop you.

• I wish men could wear make-up. Or at least I wish I knew how to do it without anybody noticing. I have terrible acne scars which make me self conscious.
    As for your take: acne scars are permanent just like every scar. No diet will make them disappear. It is not a waste of time to make me feel better about myself (I could use your argument to say that clothes are a waste of money).
    Also, just about every job in the world relies on looks which is why people always show up to an interview wearing a suit.

• Men can wear subtle make-up. Make-up does not have to be conspicuous, if you don't want it to appear that way.

• I need some serious make-up skills to hide the cover-up. My skin tone is uneven and I've had a hard time even when asking the make-up chick at the mall.

• If you have uneven skin, then you should apply layers upon layers of make-up to conceal the blemishes.

• I would think money and wasted time would be such a huge issue that people wouldn't use makeup.

• I agree with #4. People have complimented on my face, saying I look "bright and happy", telling me my skin is soft, hair is soft, etc and it is all becauze of my diet. My diet is high in fish, veggies, and fruits with thr occasional supplements. Diet is super important I'm glad you added that to your list evem though I don't wear make up LOL

• People who wear makeup would disagree aith the statement that its a waste of time, money, and resources. Obviously to them its not otherwise they wouldn't wear it.

• Honestly if women just learned to value themselves beyond the need for cosmetics like makeup then businesses would shut down. Goes to show how profitable other peoples insecurities are.

• Issue is that that's kinda hard to do when those businesses are constantly reinforcing and exacerbating those insecurities. Honestly we should be blaming the businesses for causing those insecurities to exist, not women for allowing them to. It's really not that easy to change your mindset when there's a multibillion dollar industry with a whole lot of resources going toward you specifically not doing that.

• I think that I am fortunate. I am not that affected by the mass media or advertising.

• I've loved makeup since I was 2 and i can honestly say thats it's not about "valuing" oneself. I see it as a feminine thing to do like painting my nails or getting facials. It's just a way of pampering myself. There are so many different looks and things. I would feel completely comfortable going out without makeup. Thats comfort but having a nice bold lip and highlight is fun too. I wouldn't want makeup companies to shut down. People get so creative with it and it's really fun to play around with.

What Girls Said 17

• "Wearing make-up is a waste of time, money and resources."
    That depends on your own perspective, and the same could be said about anything that isn't a necessity. Would you say that stuff to someone who loves drawing and painting? "Buying watercolors, pencils and canvases is a waste of time, money and resources"? Because the fact of the matter is that there are a lot of women out there who really enjoy putting makeup on, myself included. I sometimes even apply makeup on my face and experiment with eye shadows even though I don't plan on going anywhere. I think it's therapeutic in a way, I get some me-time out of it. My face is my canvas. And there are lots of affordable makeup out there. I spend maybe 20 bucks on makeup every other month, and another odd 10 bucks here and there if I happen to find some new things I want to try.

"Once you apply make-up, you have to remember to wash your face afterwards."
    When it becomes a routine, it's no more annoying than brushing your teeth or taking a shower. And even if you don't wear makeup, you should STILL wash your face every day. Sweat and dead skin cells will clog up your pores just as much as a bit of foundation will. And nobody says that you have to wear lipstick all the time, so if you don't want any stains, just don't wear lipstick lol.

"why should you wear make-up if you have nothing to cover up?"
    Because it's fun? You get to experiment with your appearance? Your logic doesn't make much sense here. Like why get a hair cut when your natural hair is fine as it is? Why buy new clothes? Your argument is basically that it's "pointless" to want to look a bit better every now and then. Why does it bother you that some people want to put more effort into their looks than others?

"If a person likes you only when you put on make-up but feels disgust at the sight of your true face, then that person only likes you superficially."
    Yeah, and that's why you should be with someone who likes you regardless of whether you use makeup or not, no?

"why should you apply make-up to enhance your superficial beauty?"
    Again, because it's fun to play with makeup and try different styles. Why wear more than one type of clothing? You could just walk around in the same basic gray t-shirt and jeans every day? Why do you need dresses, or skirts, or nice blouses or sweaters? Or different types of shoes?

"Make-up is too feminine"
    According to outdated and sexist gender roles.

• "However, if your goal is to become a computer programmer, which is a job that depends on your skills and experience, then you do not have to be the hottest guy/girl on the block."

Sure, bring in more shitty stereotypes into this take, why don't you? Computer programmers are allowed to look hot and feel hot if they want to, just because they program for a living it doesn't mean they're not allowed to use makeup because their profession "doesn't need them to look presentable". What a stereotype. Programmers have to attend meetings too and look professional when they have to, just like any other job. Wanting to look good is a human trait and you're being overly judgmental towards those who want to put that little bit of extra effort into it.

• Another thing is the money it costs not only for the makeup but makeup remover too; Plus, the time it takes to apply and remembering to wipe it off

• Make up will still be around. People lurve superficiality.

• Girl please! I'll wear make-up cuz I am confident and don't need to judge other that do!

• I think if I lived under a rock, I would still put on make up. #addicted

• 1. Subjective
    2. It's really not too big a deal unless you're wearing tons of makeup. I only wear concealer and eyeliner.
    3. Some people's natural appearance doesn't bring satisfaction though to themselves and/or others...
    4. Yes. eating healthy is ideal.
    5. I like looking feminine.
    6. I like my looks. A lot. You can still be a computer programmer and like makeup. They're not mutually exclusive

This myTake came across as insecure in the same way obese feminists want thin women to get fat.

• Yea ok that's cool. But I'm obsessed with makeup and I'm not giving it up anytime soon.

• Most importantly because it's dangerous for our body. Methyl paraben that's commonly used for cosmetics, actually leads to cancer.

• I agree, but as someone who has suffered from acne my entire life, I feel more confident when I am able to hide my breakouts and scars.

• Well, I did mention that in my myTake. While the title specifically says "why you should not wear make-up", the description acknowledges that some people apply make-up to cover up acne and blemishes. That point in the Take (3) is really targeted at people who already have adequate skin and thus do not have to use make-up. Make-up would be excessive for those types of people. I understand that other people are more acne-prone, as you said, so make-up really helps. :)

• I use too much makeup. Like I can't live without it.

• Makeup is fun but unnecessary.

• I'm allergic to the majority of make up so I prefer don't wear any

• "Makeup makes me feel confident"
    -Translation: makeup distracts me from my insecurities instead of facing them head on.

• No Translation: You believe that anyone that wears make-up is insecure which is judgmental and a cliche. Cuz let me tell yeah I feel confident wear my old pink short and ugly t-shirt with no make-up and my hair just messy as fuck! And I still act the same with or without make-up. I think those who are against have no idea that beauty is like an art and of course its not for everyone. No offense but I already fought my insecurity and I do it everyday!

• Hahaha! I guess I am upset right now! I wanted a job in the make-up industry and nada. I think I am about to lie about my resume! And ask some gagers to pretend to be my employer!

• Makeup can help a girl feel more confident about her appearance. Anything that helps you feel more confident is worth it.

• There is nothing wrong with wearing makeup

• Some women like to wear a lot of makeup on an everyday basis, and that's them, but personally I prefer to go makeup free. Because I don't wear makeup, I have a baby face and I ook younger than 22. I just prefer to put on lotion and Chapstick to moisturize my skin and my lips.

• I work in the beauty industry currently, and have switched from foundation to my Dermafix BB cream. Love it!
    Helps clear up any acne, plus I'm using the entire range for my skin. Love love love it.

However this is a really good mytake :) :)

BB correction cream over foundation 👍👍