With My Measurements, Dressing is a Constant Battle

Getting clothes is ridiculously difficult for me so I decided to share how I feel about clothing, especially sizing, shape, and advice. As of now I'm 5', about 140lbs and my measurements are 43"- 27"-47"(Bust-Waist-Hip).

1. Bras

Me and bras have always had an interesting battle. As of now I'm a 34F and probably gonna end up being a G. As I've gotten bigger I've noticed two things go up about bras and one thing goes down. The price and support goes up, but the cuteness goes way down. As of now the price of a good bra for me is about $70 and boy do I miss the "mom let's go to target to get $15 bras". All of my shopping is online and if I saw a bra in my size in a store I'd probably scream.

Dressing in a World I Don't Fit In

Next is the cuteness of the bra. I miss the silly polka dots, the cute lace, all of that. Granted, I can still get it, it's just not gonna support my puppies. Now I'm stuck with a plain colored high support T- shirt bra, and sports bras are another story... Gotta tame the beasts. One of these will be okay for weight lifting, add another non-wire one for running.

But there is hope, there are more "plus" sized lingerie companies emerging to make those puppies look amazing :)

2. Shirts

Women's shirts?... Not happening. Based on my waist, I'm usually small or medium. Bust fits me at an large or extra-large. Between the cleavage and tightness in my chest area, I just don't like them, and have yet to find a good company for me. The shirt also looks like a curtain near my waist... not flattering at all! :(

But I have discovered men's shirts and scissors, and damn do I love them. Call it some fashion trend, but getting a slightly oversized men's shirt and cutting off the sleeves and some of the sides is pretty much Jesus-on-wheels for me.

Say hello to no cleavage, comfy and loose all around shirts, which can double as work out tanks! :)

3. Pants.. .Especially Jeans

How I dread pant shopping.. it usually ends up with me walking out of the dressing room like..

And if I got them on, the back part of the waist would be horribly sticking out even if they were from the "curvy" section.

So yoga pants became my best friend.. until I noticed this was happening

Then I found Etsy and shops that custom make shorts, leggings, and almost everything I need. Sure I might pay a little more but hey, now I'm comfy and my ass looks great. These are my favorite shops:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/OrigamiCustoms

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LunaLovesVintage

(I'm determined to find more amazing shops)

4. Clothes are made for...?

To me, it seems as if clothes are made for an extremely select group people. Most women in my family (one side tends to be on the curvy side, other side is very thin) cannot buy clothes for the life of them, even though there are different styles for women to purchase.

If you fit into clothes at the store, I envy you beyond belief and so does my wallet. Maybe because most women around me have struggled I don't see women who fit but it seems odd that we don't have clothes that fit us nicely.

There's a lot of women out there, and a lot of different body types. I just wish that clothes would be easier to get for women, so we don't have to so much more money just because our breasts are bigger, or we have to get something custom made because we don't it into normal stuff.

Hopefully in the future, better fitting clothes will be available for me, and anyone else who struggles :)

Thanks for reading! <3

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 6

• 43-27-47? Dear god. I'm not sure if I believe... but I want to believe.

• Oh please, hearing big boob problems is like hearing about rich people problems or big dick problems.
    Everything in the world has a downside if you complain enough. I could complain about having normal size man boobs.

• I disagree... Having large breasts has destroyed my back and I'm almost always uncomfortable because of it. I wish it was like thay but truthfully it isn't

• I am grateful for what I have, but that doesn't mean I can't complain about it. It renders me useless at times as my back just can't take it some days. For the most part what I have is preventable and treatable, but it frustrates me as to how I have to pay an extra $40+ just to have a good bra or $10k to have an okay back. But until I can have a reduction my back is at my boobs mercy, and over time it will effect my back and overall health. It is far from frivolous.
      Mental health and other conditions are very different. I used to have severe depression and an eating disorder and I still had the right to complain. So before you tell me to stop complaining, put on a 20lbs backpack on your chest, spend $300+ a year on it, and don't complain. They're boobs, big boobs = medium boobs = small boobs. And women with any sized boobs can complain. Complaining isn't hurting anyone so long as it's not in your face which this isn't.

• Bruh (did ya get my joke if not its not funny if i have to explain it) if all is coming out of your mouth is shit feel free to go somewhere else where there isn't people who write mytakes that people can actually use 😀

• I thought this was very informative. I really sympathize with your problem in finding clothes that fit. It shouldn't be that hard. Good myTake!

• I am sure you have heard this before, and my friend got one she was 5'2 36G, so just curious does your back hurt? And do you ever thought about having a reduction?

• It hurts about every day, I cannot get a reduction until I'm about 25ish but I have definitely considered it.

• like 43-27-47? serious? u could be a famous pornstar easily

• Lol I'd rather not be a pornstar but yes, those are my measurements

• In a way i find you even sexier cause you seem to deal with your special shape :)

What Girls Said 15

• Yup!

• If yr overbust measurement is 43 inches, then it seems like a 34F bra would be WAY too small for yr girls, no?

• It is pretty tight on me, but I'm really stubborn as my left one is a smaller and I want that one to get big enough for the next cup size, and that's a 34F UK size so it'd be a US G :)

• Yah I was assuming UK sizing (here in the States that size would be more likely to be labeled "34DDD").
      But, still. You should be VERY careful when it comes to wearing bras that are too small.

If any of yr breast is spilling out of the cup -- quadboob or sideboob -- that's the kind of thing that will eventually give you the dreaded "armpit rolls" when you are my age, if you wear those kinds of bras for too long. Really, size up if you need to size up.

• I will as soon as I can, thanks! :)

• I have the "cannot buy pants because too thin" and my coach has "cannot buy bras and shirts that fit right because my tits are too big" so we both wear slightly uncomfortable clothes.

• This was a great post. I never thought about shopping on etsy most days I can't find my right bra size. I wanted to cry for joy when I saw my right bra size in target and on clearance. But I wouldn't change them for anything.

• Ooooh, the etsy hops you gave were so cute! My issue with clothes is mostly just that I'm 5'2 and even the jeans called 'ankle grazers' have to be rolled up over my feet (which I'm sure you get too :P )

• Can I just say I totally love (sense the sarcasm) how in the Dove campaign there is not ONE skinny girl, yet it's supposed to be about ALL body positivity.

• Oh girl and I thought I had crazy measurements lol and your 5 feet lol. I got DDs. ( depending on the bra sometimes a D) my waist is small and I got big hips. See they make things for girls with hips and booty and a small waist so pants are easy. But Its hard to find shirts that will fit my chest and waist so everything I get I have to make sure it has some elasticity to it. if they don't come in at waist I look box shaped and super top heavy. Dresses , I have to get to the tailors to be clinched in at the waist. Lol but girl as a female on your frame I can only imagine what you look , bet your body is amazing.

• I feel your pain lol. I think my body is okay, got a few things to work on :)

• I lost a lot of pounds and now I have a decent size of bra. before I couldn't even fit in a simple shirt. I had to take an XL for my boobs to fit in.
    For pants I never have enough butt / tigh and my legs is too big so I just wear sweatpants

• That thing about jeans gaping at the back of the waist happens to me too... Also, most shirts are loose in the chest or below the armpits and the waist and stick to my abdomen.. If I go to cheap stores for dresses, they are way too short on me, even though I am short! I don't get it. Don't get me started about riding boots that won't zip up.. I mean most clothes I see are made for a ruler type body, whose body measurements are being proportionate.

• I get you. Where I live, It's constantly over 25 degrees out there, these months are even 40 degrees. Celsius. Hello constant underboob sweat! But guess what? They have mittens and boots and even fucking earmuffs and Winter für coats at H&M, but nothing bigger than size 42 (European size 42). Right H&M. Cause there are people with painful ears who need protection from the 40°C weather, but there are no girls bigger than a size 42... Jezus I hate the "fashion" industry.

There's a well-known trick for women who have thin waists but thick hips and bust: belts, girl, belts! Get a tight top, and then layer with a lose Cardigan (if you don't live in the sun like I do), and belt it. Experiment with belts.

• I so much feel you and my measurements are only 36-24-36 (much smaller waist to hip/chest ratio compared to yours). 😢

• I feel your pain. I'm tall and skinny, but not flat, which makes trying to buy a dress a nightmare :(

• i am from Australia and i hate our clothing, i can not fit into some of the large sizes here and i have looked online at sizing charts and the American size 22 is a size 26 in Australia, I dont like shirts that appear short i feel comfortable when they are longer and loose, bras are a nightmare and i dont like shirts etc that show any parts of a bra and its hard and i won't be shopping online plus i never did and no way i ain't paying a fortune for something i will not fit in soon as I've been loosing weight but yet i always bloat up a few sizes in the clothes i do wear so wearing anything can be very uncomfortable to the point where i feel like i can not breathe and go through and change all my clothes until i feel ok again, I know i ain't the only crazy person but its stressful sometimes

• Welcome to the club. I don't fit into clothes properly either. Most things are made for short women.

• yes! that's so annoying.. how tall are you?

• I like sewing, but I'm not that great at it. even wearing jeans low on my waist makes it hard to find any long enough. I used to just buy a ton of the same ones whenever I actually found good ones. in high school I wore men's jeans, but as I got older I wanted more fitted jeans and had to stop.

• ... I like love skinny jeans on men!!

• Omg I'm a girl with boobs
    Someone call 911