Everything You Ever Needed to Know About Bras

Everything you need to know about Bras

Measuring yourself

Believe it or not, at least 80% of women wear the wrong size bra. The most common mistakes are wearing a band size that’s too big and/or a cup size that’s too small. Though the average bra size is a 36C, most females who wear this size should actually be wearing either a 34D, 34DD, 32DD or 32E bra. The TRUE average bra size is around 34DD.To find the perfect fit, here's how to find your true bra size at home.

Step One

Wearing a non-padded bra measure your band size using a dress measuring tape and run it just under your breasts. Make sure it is fairly tight, your arms are down and your posture is good. If you get an odd number round to the next even number. Write down whatever that number is.

Step Two

Measure across your breasts to get your cup size. Again, if it's odd round to the next even number. Write down that number as well. Subtract your band size from your cup size. Based on the difference of your cup size and band size your cup size will be:

1 inch difference= A cup

2 inch difference= B cup

3 inch difference= C cup

4 inch difference= D cup

5 inch difference= DD cup

Finding your favorite and ideal size isn't always easy so this a chart for sister sizes. Meaning the sizes in the collumns have the same volume and will make shopping easier.

Shopping Tips

Here are some things to keep in mind while trying on bras. First off decide what look you want. Bras come in various styles, like push-up, full-coverage, sports, non-padded, etc. If you want something that is simple with lots of support, you don't want a push-up. If you're looking to appear a little bigger than you are, then you do want push-up. Whatever your style, just make sure it fits right.

Some things to look for when you are trying it on - the top part of your chest should meet seemlessly with the part in your bra. In other words, you don't want the top part of your chest to appear flat and then you have these bulges where your bras starts. If you've got the bulges it usually means that your cup size from the bra you're wearing is too small. A quick and painless check is to latch the hooks of your bra, lean over and allow yourself to fall into the cups. If your boobs are pouring out and over, you need to move up a cup size.

You also don't want bulges on your back. If your bra is too small around or you've got it done up too tight, you'll be able to see it through the back of your shirt and your skin will appear puckered or bulgy. Your straps should also be loose to not dig into your shoulders but not fall off the time. Remember a new bra should fasten at the middle or last hook, cuz the material will stretch with wear. Eventually, you'll wanna fasten it at the first hook. Also you want the middle part of your bra to lie flat against your chest.

Stay away from patterns or at least have a few non-patterned bras. Sure that green-and-purple-plaid number looks great on the hanger but it'll be hard to wear because it'll show through a lot of your clothes. If there is a patterned or brightly colored bra you like you're best off to remember it and try to find a similar bathing suit or something.

Washing and Caring for Your Lingerie

Never, ever, ever puts your bra in the washer by itself and definitely don't put in the dryer. Also never use hot water or hot air to dry it. The heat will break down the spandex and elasticity much quicker. Instead wash it by hand and let it air dry. If you wash it by hand, you can us e laundry soap and gently rub it or you can soak it before you let it air dry. Or use products like these to wash your lingerie.

Or a mesh laundry bag.

Happy shopping if you don't already have the right size!

Ginnyweasley97 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 4

• Great mytake! Now I know more about bras when it comes to my future girlfriend or wife. But taught me more about bras than I ever really knew

• Good MyTake little sis. Might I add about colors under clothes is that go for one that more closely relates to one's skin tone under light colored clothes as such black bras under white tops looks tacky. Another thing to remember replace bras every six months to maintain support. The elastic often wears out overtime from stretching around the ribs. I have sisters so I know too much about this, lol

• any recommendations on which bra stands up best to semen? i like to jack off in them

• Yeah i am so giving this to my wife. She always complains about bra's not fitting right

What Girls Said 4

• very informative for girls who are still struggling with this. personally i never had a problem with sizing. maybe because i took my time with it, I don't know.

love the washing tips too, thanks!

• Bra shopping is so bad! I've been to like four different bra fittings and my measurements have ranged from a B cup to a DD cup and literally none of the bras ever felt like they fit right. Maybe I'm cursed :P That mesh laundry bag idea sounds like a good idea though and I need to remember not to put my bras in the dryer...

• B to a DD? Oh my god that's insane I would trying doing it yourself or go to a highly rated professional. Trying different sizes yourself and seeing which follows the guidelines best can go a long way. A lot of women go to Victoria's Secret and VS is a hit or a miss. They either know exactly what they are talking about or have no clue.

• Average for people in a normal BMI is actually going to be more like 30DD-FF when using modern sizing. For smaller band sizes, like 32 and below, DD and under is rather flat chested. I have average sized boobs and I measure as 30F or FF.

Visuals of modern sizing
    http://imgur.com/a/m71Li
    http://www.brabandproject.com/
    http://www.bratabase.com/

• I went for a fitting a few months ago and it turned out I had been wearing bras 3 cup sizes too small! It just shows how important getting fitted is