Why are Women Obsessed with Fashion?

Barry White, the Walrus of Love, is famous for crooning "Don't go trying some new fashion/Don't change the color of your hair." He loved that woman just the way she was. Sweet isn't it? The reality, however, is not so perfect in the eye of the female mind. If a man told a woman never to change her appearance, she would most likely laugh in his face. Women rarely believe such sentiment, and that's a fact.

To get to the root of female vanity would take the average male on a mind boggling and complex journey that would not have him home in time for the big game. I am not that cruel and can skim over in brief the millions of years within which the female sex have groomed to attract mates, squeezed into the tiniest corsets and bleached, plucked, trimmed and slimmed to high heaven. The cause of fashion obsession is as prominent as a badly covered pimple; women are vain because they have to be.

Textbook theorists could split the reason for female vanity into two categories. Women feel they must look their best first for their own self-esteem and second to attract partners and keep them glued. Theoretically that works, but the underlying truth is that no women shops until her feet swell to solely stand in front of a mirror all day. She does this so that she looks better, sexier and more inviting to her chosen target than the woman next to her in the bar.

Evidence is everywhere. Look at the media. HBO attempted to produce the sassy woman's fodder in the shape of "Sex and The City." Protagonist Carrie Bradshaw is dressed to kill and lingers in every Manhattan bar with her friends. Back in her room she writes, in pyjamas and no make up, about the mysteries of dating and men. The viewer never sees her pondering partners in full regalia and Manolos in her room when there are no admiring men to take a glance.

Newspapers and magazines are stuffed full of shiny, polished women who wear cutting edge clothes and flawless makeup. No woman ever looks at these women and thinks, "well she looks nice and good for her!" No. They think "I want to have those clothes so that I will look as good as she does." As stupendous and superficial as that sounds, fashion is spurred by the craving women feel to look good for their partners. Magazines suggest that the clothes wear the model when often it is the other way round.

Overstuffed breasts, dainty noses and cellulite-free thighs fuel competitiveness in the female mind. No woman ever pays thousands to look younger and better for their own self worth. They do it because they feel they have to fight for a partner.

There is no denying that there is self-gratification in fashion for women. To wear new clothes and make-up boosts confidence and creates extra enthusiasm in everyday life. The biggest and most important lift, however, comes from the change being noticed by others. The woman's knowledge that people are taking in details of her clothes and complimenting her are the biggest boost of all.

In conclusion, women live in a world where their hearts lie in the hands of a partner, and often they feel that their hearts can be trampled by a younger, more fashionable female. Women fight each other with fashion to compete for attention. If this was not true, women would look at fashion with a casual eye, dismiss the hassle and let it all hang out in their sweat pants.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 4

• It is due to women dress for each other. It is their competition about who is prettier than the woman next to her.

• Stanley is so right, I laugh when I see the models in those reality shows just because they look so damned silly.

• The irony is of course that fashion sometimes makes a woman look downright silly and it's not uncommon for a girl in jeans and a regular old shirt to look sexier than a girl in full regalia.

• I don't understand fashion, since I believe a girl looks best in...whatever she looks best in.

If that best look involves a clown outfit and a pink tutu, then so be it. At least she won't be fooling herself into thinking she'll look better copying someone else. A girl needs to use a look she can pull off, and pull off well.

What Girls Said 5

• It was Billy Joel - the song is "Just The Way You Are".

• Sad but true... this is like cars are to men... although some (pathetic) women do go after the guy with the most expensive car, but really a guy's car is NOT a good indication of anything. Ju7st that maybe he's wealthy or a drug dealer... joking...

My point is women compete in regards of appearance, the way guys compete in regards of money. My boyfriend still can't understand why I always need to look good around him, and yet, he still doesn't believe me when I say that money isn't a big deal.

• Oh yeah girl, and I once met a woman who said women don't dress for men so much as for other women--I find that to be true to an extent, cause if they dressed for men, they wouldn't have to try quite so hard...lol...

• I think so too -- men may turn their heads at a gorgeous gal, but they will always love to see a girl in a pair of jeans that accentuate curves -- I know the hubby does...

• That is so true! Also, the better you look the better of finding a better-looking partner and since guys subconscincesly fall in love with looks first, you'll have better edge on the playing field!