Traditional Beautiful Dresses From Around the World- Maghreb Edition

This is the 2nd MyTake from my "Traditional Beautiful Dresses From Around the World" series.

First one: Traditional Beautiful Dresses From East Asia.

Maghreb countries are the countries from North Africa (Morocco , Algeria, Tunisia and Libya), since this is where I come from, these dresses are the ones I'm the most accustomed to.

In North Africa, marriages are a BIG BIG deal, usually they last for about a week or even more, and the bride gets to wear different dresses everyday. In Morocco the bride gets to change her dress up to 7 or 8 times during the last day of celebrations!

Although we also wear the white traditional dress (the same as Europe and North America) in the last day of celebrations, in the preceding celebrations the brides-to-be wear different traditional dresses.

It was very complicated to synthesize this MyTake because every city in North Africa has it's own local dresses, so I picked the most popular ones, worn by the majority and in big cities.
Most of these dresses are also worn by other women besides the bride and can be worn at different occasions depending on how detailed the dress is.

1) Tabdila- Tunisia

The Tabdila comes in 2 pieces, a bustier and puffy skirt or trousers revealing the stomach. They come in different colors and textures.

Traditional Beautiful Dresses From Around the World- Maghreb Edition.

2) Moroccan Caftan/ Takchita- Morocco

The Caftan originated from Persia and was brought to North Africa by the Middle Eastern Arabs. Morocco became notorious for producing the best Caftans and re-adapted it. This became one of Morocco's specialties and they export their Caftan's to the rest of North Africa and the Middle East where it became extremely popular.
This dress is characterized by having a belt that varies in width.

3) Kabyle Dress - Algeria

Kabyles are an Algerian ethnic group from Northern Eastern Algeria, part of the Amazigh people who are the indigenous inhabitants of Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Libya.

4) Karakou- Algeria

This outfit is composed of 2 pieces, the top is made out of Gold and velour, and the bottom are puffy pants.

5) Kesoua - Tunisia

Like the Tabdila, this dress comes in 2 pieces and reveals the stomach. It is worn in the last party preceding the wedding. It is usually either beige or white, but many brides choose to wear it in Light Pink, Red, Blue or Green.

These dresses are encrusted with crystals and very detailed.

6) Jebba/Jelaba- Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco

The following 2 are Tunisian:

And this one is Moroccan:

This one is Moroccan

Hope you enjoyed, next destination is South Asia :) !!!

ElissaDido is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 17

• where was the picture of you in such a dress?

• Very majestic! I wish male fashion was more varied.

• Beautiful.

• They're nice, but the traditional wear is an abaya.

• they all look so aristocratic.

• This is JUST AWESOME <3 <3 <3 Thank you, young lady for bringing this by :)

• Moroccan dresses are beautiful

• I thought Middle East and North African women wear nothing except the burqa 😕

• Lol don't believe what the TV tells you.

• Ok , seems to me a large proportion of Muslims prefer to follow traditions over some parts. Of their faith.
      A couple of Muslim workers at the local supermarket don't touch packaged bacon and alcohol.
      Is that applicable to Muslims?

• I think I can answer that. yes, eventhough some muslim girls are not cover up her face and wear jeans, we don't drink alcohol and eat pork. we just dress casually but still following the Islamic guides in our life.

• Not traditional but colonial ancestry
    These are/were traditionally muslim countries, where the norm used to be the abbaya

• Not at all. These are traditional.

• It's not abbaya, you don't know my country and culture more than I do smh 😑And you should learn more about French history and culture, clearly you don't know anything.

• I thought you were speaking of Arab, not French culture and history. These are all typical for the French, but not Arab. except for prostitutes courting French clients

• Absolutely beautiful

• A lot of these dresses are quite nice actually. Do girls still wear them going out etc, or are they just worn on special occasions.

• First two and last Moroccan are nice.

• hmm most of them look quite good
    but not a fan of those "head things" from 3

• I actually liked them although I haven't seen them irl because I am not very in touch with the Kabyle culture haha ^^

• Haha mmmm okay halfway through 😜

• the first one from 1 or 5 I'm willing to accept too... but nothing more ;P

• Hahha did you write this after my question the other day? 😛

• Absolutely brilliant and beautiful post @ElissaDido... thanks for sharing.

• Moroccan, Algerian and Tunisian dresses are soo classy and pretty!

• That's really awesome lol

@HookingSwan you might like this

What Girls Said 14

• Those look amazing. ^^

• Where do you buy these?

• I don't really know haha :x I think they have boutiques specialized in them and maybe they have websites haha I think the Moroccan Caftan is the easiest to get since it's the most popular outside of Morocco

• Omg i hope I can find some like these! They are so beautiful haha. Great Take!

• You didn't mention the prices!!

• Wow some of those are so fucking elegant and I want them.

• Haha me too!!! I don't own a single one of them although I'm from there :x

• Stunning. All of these are so beautiful!

• This is absolutely gorgeous attire. Nice to be learning about new things.

• the morocco caftan! so beautiful! I will buy one for Eid lolz

• I like all of them but my favorite is Tabdila from Tunisia. That shade of green kills me softly.

• pretty dresses, but I would never wear anything like this. way too flashy.

• Since we are discussing clothes, Just FYI not all Muslim countries actually practice Islam all the time. In fact most of the ordinary people try to squeeze their way out of it, specially with clothes. Exactly the same way that for example a country known as one with a majority of Christians, does not in most cases follow the rules set out by Christianity for dressing, and as we see in modern countries lots of people hardly wear a shred of clothing which is really not your ideal Christian dress code. In Muslim countries actually the majority of the time, the traditional clothing of a certain location takes over the religious preference for dressing. But one very important point that seems to be overlooked with Muslims and their dress code is that Islam was originally born in an extremely hot geography, and not having invented high SPF sunscreen lotions back then, people had no logical choice but to cover up their skin from the merciless sun as much as they could to prevent sunburn. But this tradition found a way to spread itself along with the spreading of the religion itself, and so here we are. Most of today's Islamic countries covered up even way before Islam was born just to prevent sunburn!!! :-)

• Wow, beautiful dresses!! Looking forward to next addition.

• Looks nice. But it must be hard to run in those dresses lol

• The caftan is to die for. So luxurious and so much detail.

• Yep, these are gorgeous and so elegant

• Pants for a wedding! Count me in! And tunisia seems to be very liberal with the cleavage for a Muslim country...