20 Fashion Trends I Dislike On Men

I did a similar about women here. So now this one is about men. Being a straight guy, it doesn't mean I cannot have an opinion about men's fashion, I guess. So here we go.

(In alphabetical order)

1) Bagpacks (peak: present)

Funny (in a bad way) and uncomfortable, in my opinion. Do you really miss the school days, when you used to carry this ridiculous bag on a daily basis?

2) Big Sideburns (peak: 60s)

First thing that comes to my mind is...like an ape. Please do us a favor and don't try to adopt this forgotten ultra-stupid trend.

3) Buzz cut (peak: since 00s)

OK, I understand if you suffer from a hair loss, since you have no more options. But if you don't? Pretty silly if you ask me. Especially if it's coupled with this scruffy beard. You might regret it actually one day, when you suffer from a real hair loss.

4) Checkered shirt (peak: present)

As I said to the other MyTake about women...like a tablecloth.

5) Ear gauges (peak: present)

Girls do it by some degree as well, but guys do it more often. This is the silliest thing ever. One day you might get bored of it, and you will need a surgery in order to close your earlobe hole.

6) Flip-flops (for casual use) (peak: since 00s)

I don't mean wearing on the beach, but for casual use. Since the dawn of the new century, more and more men starting to use flip-flops for casual use. That's absolutely kitsch in my opinion, if you're not on the beach and you wear casual clothes.

7) Goatee beard (peak: since 90s)

Not as massive as it was in the 90s, but still popular. Well, you know what it resembles this type of beard, if not anybody has told you so far.

8. Jerseys (peak: since 90s)

Whether it comes from a football (both soccer and American football) team or a basketball team or whatever, it looks ridiculous for casual use. I'd call it poserish.

9) Low crotch trousers (peak: since late 00s)

It's a surprise how many guys actually accept to follow this trend. Sure it's an attention seeker, but not for good reasons.

10) Male purse (peak: since 00s)

Actually this might apply only for Western European countries more or less, where it's more common for men to carry a purse, but anyway I never liked this type of fashion. Generally I prefer using my pockets instead of carrying a bag.

11) Man bun (peak: present)

It's usually worn with this gross beard. One of the most ridiculous trends I refuse to follow. Unless you want to look like a samurai.

12) Nerdy glasses (peak 50s-60s and present)

Both genders look gross in those bottle-like glasses. Blame hipster culture for it.

13) Newsboy cap (peak: early 20th century)

I understand if you were a youth in 1900s, 1910s, 1920s...but nowadays every time I see a young man wearing this thing, I cringe. Although not mainstream, it's usually worn by young guys who pretend to be intellectual and sophisticated.

14) Shirts from "edgy" bands (peak: since posers started to appear)

Copying from my previous MyTake (with the words guys/girls switched in the first sentence):

I mean those guys (and girls obviously) who wear shirts from bands like Iron Maiden, Nirvana, Pink Floyd (are Pink Floyd really edgy to them?) , etc. Never understood the mentality of those people. You want to show off that you know a band that 99 out of 100 people know? I really wonder how many albums have they listened to from each band. I hate Radiohead and Nirvana for example, but I've listened to the most part of their whole discography, to form an opinion about them. As for them who claim they love the band they wear...how much of their stuff do they actually know?

15) Straw hats (peak: since 00s)

Although people used to wear them already, in rural areas mostly, it was since this century when men (who live in the city), started to wearing them more and more often as well. They look really ridiculous wearing them in a city, I believe.

16) Suits (peak: all-time classic)

Like long dresses for women, I consider suits for men way too overrated, formal and uptight. Never understood why they are so praised.

17) Suspenders (peak 90s)

Especially when they were coupled with a tie. Hope nobody will have the smart idea, to surface this trend back again.

18. Thick beards (peak 70s and since late 00s)

One of the worst previous-decade fashion trends that surfaced back again. Isn't this thing annoying? I tried to grow a two week beard out of curiosity to see how I'd look, and never again. It's like carrying a beehive on your face, all day and all night. No beard is always more comfortable.

19) Top hats (peak: 18th-19th century and early 20th century)

Maybe back then it was normal to wear Top hats, but in our days when someone attempts to wear such a hat...he just looks ridiculous. Unless he wants to be Mr. Monopoly.

20) Walking stick (for non-old people) (peak: 18-19th century and early 20th century)

Another common accessory along with top hats, popular during more than a century ago. Just weird for a non-old person to carry such a stick, especially when they try to adopt this style in our days.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 27

• i have to disagree with some of these
    but it was a good take

• Backpacks are good for ones that carry their laptops and other electronics.

I see nothing wrong with flip flops.

• I enjoy ear gauges and a buzz cut on guys, as well as a band shirt and *maybe* a plaid shirt (when worn right) but everything else on this list is just plain stupid

• not checkered. They are not checkered shirts they are plaid!

They are fucking plaid! Why does nobody know what plaid shirts are called!

WHY?

• The fact that you look like a tablecloth remains, no matter how they are called.

• Does not look like a tablecloth. The picture you showed? Yeah, he does look like he's wearing a tablecloth, because it's oversized and is hanging off him like he just chucked a cloth over him and cut a few holes in it.

Wear a plaid shirt that actually fits you? It looks really nice. It's the kind of fashion that my brother wears and it looks damn good on him, and the kind of thing my (future) sister-in-law wears, and it looks damn good on her too.
      Because they both wear shirts that fit them and compliment their shape.

• I disagree with most of this.

• Guy number three is very attractive
    Goatee beard can be attractive
    The man bun has been worn for centuries. And it is attractive on the right person. Example-Jon Snow.
    Pink Floyd is awesome. I am listening to another brick in the wall right now. People can wear whatever band shirt they want. It doesn't matter if they're popular or not. I have a guns n roses shirt because guns n roses is amazing not because they're popular. Favorite song is November rain.
    suits are extremely attractive. ZZ top said it best, girls go crazy about a sharp dressed man.
    Suspenders are very attractive if worn right
    Thick beards that are groomed are very attractive

• I like tons of bands (mostly from the 80s), but never had a single shirt of any of them.

• Okay? Do you think it's mainstream to advertise the bands you like? Because it's pretty hipster to avoid doing something because it's "mainstream" I like wearing them because I see a fellow fan and they can tell by my shirt, I am a fan as well. And we talk music.

• I don't because I feel I'd put down other bands. Other bands never had the chance to have a t-shirt of their own, since they weren't popular unlike the others.

• I have to agree with most of em.

• I can't believe" suits " was on the list! Guys look HOT with suiiits!!! 😍

now, back to reality xD I agree, with the
    Low crotch trousers thing. It drives me crazy when I see a guy letting his trousers go to down... Like seriously, did he shit his pants or something? (-_-)

about the man buns, I rarely find them attractive on guys, but if they guy was able to pull it off then good for them xD

Ear gauges >>>> totally hate them.

Big Sideburns>>> I must admit.. The guy in the picture looks funny 😂 and yes, I hate that as well

as for the Buzz cut, on some guys it looks great ( like the guy in the pic) but on others it doesn't.

• Overall-YES. Will I always love man buns and checkered shirts, yes </3 :'3

• Agree 100% apart from checkered shirts, glasses & suits. A hot guy in any of those is just 😍😍

• Aww poor flip flops.

• You're entitled to your own opinion, I agree with you on some of these but for the most part I'm a depends on the guy type of person. I don't know, it also depends where you live, I'm from the bible belt so everyone is very plain and casual. So seeing a twist in everyday clothes is so attractive.

• Agreed, don't like flip flops, purses, bagpacks are okay (depends)!
    I LOVE BEARDS!!!

• agree with everything except for buzz cuts and suits.

• Some of them i disagree in some

• Cringing at all of these. If it were up to me, I'd pick out a guy's clothes. Unless he already knew how to dress

• I find gauges, buzz cuts and checkered shirts appealing

• Nice Take
    but my goodness, tailored suit looks good on men. :D

• I disagree with 3, 11, 14, and 16. Those are things I actually like on guys.

• Suits, really? I can understand some of the things you dislike, sucj as man buns, but suits are awesome.

• Really formal ain't they?

• More from Girls
    7

What Guys Said 31

• this is actually hilarious
    sideburns are a trend? since when 2000bc?
    shirts with edgy bands? pink floyd is edgy?

i think an easier post would be what "trends" are you ok with. based on this post it's hard to figure out what styles you would be ok with.

• I adore 80s trends mostly, both in men and women.

• Sideburns became popular during the Civil War. There was a Major named Burns and that is the way he wore his beard. The Newspaper and other soldiers called them Sideburns. Look it up. It is true and interesting.

• I expected everything but suits. That was a surprise

• Never liked them personally.

• I do agree with 5, 9, 10, 11, 15, and 17. They are pretty stupid trends.

• I know a dude who pulls off the man bun and worse, CROCS. All he really wears is CROCS. I personally dont hate them, but some people really frown and make faces when you wear em.

• Bro, I don't know of any str8 dude who would take the time to compile such a list, but whatever.
    Second, I agree with them all except dudes in flip flops.
    Not that I wear them too often, but nothing wrong with flips on a dude if his feet are clean and taken care of. They are comfortable, easy to put on and take off, and my girl loves seeing my big feet in flips.

• Agree with lots of them, but some of them are nice. The ones I like:
    1- Backpack. Not like in the picture, it makes him look like a child, but a nice backpack is cool and great for carrying stuff.
    4 - Checkered shirt. I think it's quite cool, even though I never wear shirts myself.
    6 - Flip flops. So convienient, light, cheap, waterproof, brilliant. It's what everyone wears for a good reason in the summer.
    11 - Man bun. So cool, the man bun rules. I rock my man bun. Also in the summer it's too hot to have my hair down.
    12 - Nerdy glasses. They look quite good on most people and help you see if you have bad eyesight (which most people do).
    14 - Shirts from "edgy" bands. It's not about showing you know the band, it's showing you like them. The whole point of style is expressing yourself, showing the world something about you. Showing what music you like can be expressed like this.

• THEYRE CALLED MUTTONCHOPS! Also don't be hating on pimp canes.

• Yay! I hate wearing suits. We have to wear suits when we interview patients at the hospital. As soon as I am done for the day I am walking outside taking that shit off. By the time I reach my car I am half naked.

• Summarized from a glace. Don't wear anything to help you carry things around, and don't wear clothing. :p

• Who uses waking sticks? And studies show that men with facial hair are more attractive to women. Suits when fitted right make your shoulders seem broader, girls likes broad shoulders. Top hats, where do you live? People don't wear top hats or walk with walking sticks, come on dude. Band shirts, why would I not wear a band shirt if I like the band? That's stupid. Same with jerseys, it's cool that you don't like sports, but I do. I'm going to support my favorite team and players. Too bad. Bad mytake.

• When you wish good day, you know where to put it. Another American trait I dislike, when they wish "good/nice day" when they end a conversation. The other guy from the American English question.

• Why would I care what traits you dislike? Back under your bridge troll.

• Oh, and have a nice day.

• i do the buzz cut. its timeless. if you're a good looking guy you look good bald.

• "Like a bald pussy".

• i guess. if you have a nice face you will be a good looking bald guy. i just skipped losing hair and just shave it.

• I agree with most of this stuff. I've never understood why men don't like suits. I've seen countless other men here whine about not liking suits.

• They make you look older.

• I agree with everything except man buns, I kinda like those haha but yeah everything else is lame. I especially don't understand when I see dudes walking around in suits when it's over 90 degrees F outside. It's like lol ur probably covered in sweat inside there

• I'm pretty sure buzz cuts and check shirts have been around since pretty much the dawn of time. I definitely had both before the 90s.

• Buzz cuts were a thing only for skinheads, before.

• so essentially everything

• You almost disagree everything with men. lol

• so it is bad to wear a shirt u like without listening to the band? thats some elitist mentality lol
    like those bands really care, they keep making money

• The fuck? No big beards? That's some dumb shit

A nice looking leather rucksack looks nice. I wear a herschel backpack and look fine

• I prwfer the van dyke, the goatee with mustache and soul patch, im surprised you didn't list sagging pants because thata the most ridiculous of all and if most guys who do that knew where it originated im sure theyd stop lol, the military buzz cut, only reason youd see me sporting that is when i have to chop my hair to treat my scalp because of stupid psoriasis, otherwise id enjoy my hair while i still have it, although i could do with out the two to three hair cuts a month, my hair grows ridiculously fast also the male version of the pigtails is pretty stupid looking too, i like plaid but checkered looks just stupid, no their not the same lol i also think the blazer with jeans and tennis shoes is just ridiculous

• everyone has their own opinion; i just dont agree with most of yours!

• More from Guys
    11