Why Unnaturally Colored Hair Is Awesome, And Why It's Not

Have you ever considered getting blue hair? For what reason? "It'll be so cool!" "It's my favorite color!" "I want to look like *insert character* from *insert show/movie*!" Well unnaturally colored hair is pretty awesome in my opinion, but there are some things you should know before you start sporting a bright green head.

Pros

Having an unnatural hair color can be a pretty cool experience. I've come to really love my purple hair. Some pros, other than the cool-factor, include:
-Compliments from strangers

-A sort of unique look (depending on the color you choose)

-You can match things to your hair, like nails/makeup

-People take more of an interest in you
-Narrow minded people will usually avoid you
-Little kids are just fascinated by colorful hair, and it's adorable to watch them look at it

-Increased confidence (in my case, at least)

Cons

While unnaturally colored hair can be a fun thing, it also has a few issues that may make you rethink buying that first bottle of pink dye.

-Hair dye can be expensive (I have long, thick hair, so I need to buy 3 bottles, totaling $30 to dye all of my hair purple at home)

-You have to keep dying it frequently, because these color aren't totally permanent. They fade, and some brands fade quicker than others. Redying it often can damage your hair if you aren't careful and take very good care of it.

-A lot of people will judge you. You may find your hair color cool, along with many other people, but there are plenty of jerks out there to bring you down for something that is none of their business.

-Some businesses have dress codes that include banning colorful hair, so you may want to speak to your boss before coloring your hair

If you're considering an unnatural hair color, and you have no problem with the cons listed, I say go for it. I was hesitant about coloring my hair also, but I took the leap and dyed it over a year ago and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out! Feel free to comment more pros and cons that you've found in your experience with unnaturally colored hair.

Only post a pro or con if you're honestly trying to be helpful. Don't waste your time with rude comments.

lexythelou22 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 5

• Yah you are back

• Yes I am, I didn't have internet for awhile so I couldn't post anything :(

• Yeah I know like I am a bald headed cue ball who's reflection you can see that's how shiny my head is. But if I wanna wear a wig its like I am gonna wear whatever I want girlfriend ain't no ho gonna tell me what to do with my body I gave myself a Audrey Hepburn hairstyles wig and its like bitch I look good in it ain't no man gonna tell me what I can and can't do. I don't need no man
    http://i.imgur.com/lQRpwBK.jpg

Cool take. I like unnatural hair colors too. I'd also add to the con's though. Dying your hair is also often damaging to your hair.

• Glad to see you again!..

• it always reminds me of these characters from anime.

What Girls Said 8

• I dyed my hair blue once in middle school. Was cool, but it faded into this light ugly green color because I wasn't redying it. But yeah having unnatural colored hair is awesome, but there is a lot of cons to having it. Like you said. Great take by the way.

Great take. Personally think the pros outweigh the cons.

• I alternate between pink and purple highlights in my hair. Do you know who's reaction surprised me the most? Elderly women. I've done some volunteering at retirement homes, and old women adored the pink streaks. They thought I was so cute and sweet. I love adding fun color to my hair. I can't do blue though, because it fades to green in blond hair, and that kind of bums me out.

• Awe, elderly women can be so cute. I had an elderly neighbor and she HATED me, just because my hair was an unnatural color. She was always so passive aggressive about it. I'm glad you found a nice environment that lets you be yourself without judgement :)

• I've never dyed my hair an unnatural color, although I used to dye my hair red (but a natural shade). The fading was awful because it turned kind of a gross orange after awhile.
    I have considered dyeing part of my hair an unnatural color, but I'm not sure if it would be something I would want for an everyday look or not.

• Red and fading is the worst.

My stylist actually infused a bit of dark violet with it. Really helps keep the red in longer.

- Like the take :]

• I just want to be clear that redying your hair with semi permanent dye will not damage your hair in the slightest, it is the bleaching that damages it

• I didn't know that, thanks for the correction :)

• When I started dying my hair (like 13ish) they didn't have permanent dye for unnatural colors, but I think they do now. If you are using color that fades significantly there is a strong chance it is semipermanent and will not damage your hair. So as long as you dont bleach it a lot you can dye it as much as you want, which is super fun

• I leave mine its natural color, which is blonde.

I have colored it unnatural colors for Halloween or other costume characters, but not for my day-to-day life.

• My natural hair color didn't fit my face well. I'm round and pale, but my hair was an odd dust colored brown and pretty flat. I wanted to try something new, and I decided to be a little more daring than usual. But it's great that you keep your natural color, blonde is very pretty :)

• My face is sort of round, & I'm fair-skinned with a lot - & I mean A LOT - of freckles.

But it's great that you found something that you like & that works well for you!