Kylie Jenner Proves that the Makeup Industry is a Scam

First off, I’m not talking crap about how anyone chooses to wear makeup or how much they should use on a day-to-day basis.

Whenever I go on social media, I always come across something that has to do with makeup. It seems like in any picture of someone wearing visible amounts of it will receive a crap-ton of comments regarding it. Whether the attention is positive or negative, it’s still shining a ton of light on the makeup industry. I remember way back when, the only makeup companies I knew were Maybelline and Estee Lauder. Now, all these so-called brands are popping up everywhere! The makeup craze has everyone thinking that they can package craft store glitter in pretty jars and sell it through their Instagram account. As they say, strike while the iron is hot.

Even though some brands have an empire built on “individuality,” who’s to say it isn’t the same crap that can be bought at a way lower price? For example, Kylie Jenner (those people always seem to find a way in everyone’s lives, don’t they?). She made her own makeup line. First it was lip products and now her brand new eye-shadow palette that was released a week ago sold out in, like, ten seconds. There’s been some controversy around it because it’s all apparently repackaged.

It all basically is! The makeup industry is scamming everyone. All the products are pretty much the same but with a different label. People are tempted to buy an overpriced lipstick or eye-shadow just because of the name slapped on it. Even though they already have the exact same shade in their collection they still want it because it’s somehow “different.” I will never understand that. Young girls will practically beg their boyfriend to buy them the new “Glow Kit” with their minimum wage Taco Bell salary.

I don’t get why people would want to own the same shade of lipstick or eye-shadow from different brands. Sure, the formulation is “different,” but if you already have one exactly like it that works just fine, why would you get another one if you don't need it? That leads to people complaining that they’re broke! Especially women on Instagram who wear a $35 lipstick and post stupid memes about having only $3.89 in their bank account. It makes me laugh. Ridiculous!

I’m not one to judge how people choose to spend their money. But I am one to judge when people complain about how they wasted their money on an overpriced, repackaged lipstick just because they want a piece of the brand.

Who agrees?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 17

• Kylie Jenner is a scam.

• That's how marketing works. I agree.

Doesn't matter, you can find a reason not to like anything or anyone tbh

• This is assuming everyone thinks she's attractive. I do not.

• Kardashians and the Jenners are all fake and popularity obsessed

• Kendall is better than her sisters

• Maybe, but look her dad/Catlyn. He said he would not go back in the spotlight, but look where he is. His own tv show.

• how is she better? bc she bought her way into modeling instead of social media. modeling which she uses on social media anyhow.

• I think i might of had sex with her before she got with tyga

• This is done with A LOT of things. I was at Old Navy the other day and I saw a t shirt on the rack that was literally the shirt I was wearing. Only my shirt had the Arizona brand on it. I went in the changing room took my shirt off and put them next to each other to see if there was a difference. If the other shirt didn't have the store tags and Old Navy brand on the inside collar I wouldn't be able to tell them apart. They were the same fabric same length same design. Same everything besides what brand was written on the inside collar. Only the Old Navy one was about $8 more expensive than what I paid.

• that potty family, get her out

• When someone becomes rich, they all LOOses their Mind.
    media.giphy.com/media/CFUwjVcRQ2Bi/giphy.gif

• I'm tired of read about this piece of shit family who have nothing of value, this garbage is really forced by American proapganda? Seriously, why americans want to keep this disgusting family being celebrity? They forget Paris Hilton, why they desperate want to keep this shit family being celebrity when they aren't actors, singers, nothing, they are trash? I fucking hate American media, news, politics, propaganda, narrative, and the garbage who you force in the media.

• I can't remember which is which, but there are some makeup items where there's a genuine difference in higher vs lower quality, and others where there are literally only like three factories in the world making them for everyone.

As for the branding, it's how fashion works.

If you're not aware the entire runway fashion haute couture industry is a money losing loss leader to sell perfume accessories and cosmetics. The runway stuff creates an image for the brand, and then women buy their makeup/perfume because it's the image they want to buy into.

• Good Take. Not only true of the makeup industry, this is and has been a common marketing technique. Think of all of the money Kylie gets for licensing her name and image. That is added to the price of your makeup. Same goes for a lot of other shit with a celebrity name or image.

• Jews did wtc

• I think her original look was way better.. But now she looks absolutely hideous...
    I mean look at those lips in the first pic. They are disgusting

• "It all basically is! The makeup industry is scamming everyone. All the products are pretty much the same but with a different label. "
    Nigga are you serious? Some bitch who is famous for literally no good reason has a lipstick brand, thats a good clue it's bullshit. It's just another 'brand' meant to entice people to buy the same old shit. Like those commercials where some 90 year old man went hiking up a fucking mountain to pick a rare plant for makeup? LOLOK

• I see too many women who will be better losing weight than spending the absurd amounts of money for hair extensions and make up.

It's too bad eating less and exercising is too difficult.

• Personally, I've found expensive products to be of inferior quality as well. People think if they spend more, they will get more valuable objects but if we remove the name and the price tag and ask people to check the products, I doubt they'll choose those expensive ones. Scam!

• What types of products?

Generally, there's not too much of a difference between super-high-end and high-end products. But -- in the case of almost every consumer product in the whole world -- from the middle price points on down, you get exactly what you pay for.

Bargain-bin merchandise is always... bargain-bin merchandise.

• @redeyemindtricks not really no, never come across fake makeup products in the UK. I have in China though when I lived there even at some expensive malls.

• @Rainie_ Yeah, China is the worst for fake stuff. But YEAH IKR? Right in the middle of the malls! No shame!

There's a bunch of fake stuff here in Los Angeles, too, but it's in places where you should expect fake stuff if you're not an idiot (like the downtown garment/bazaar district areas... selling items for $1-2 that would be $10-15 if they were authentic, HMMMM.)

Same thing with Canal Street in NYC.

Haven't been to England in a long long time, but, I remember seeing more fake stuff in Manchester than anywhere else (not necessarily makeup, but bags and the like).

What Girls Said 34

• I wanted to write the exact same thing as @Supersonic_Sex_Ninja did...

• that chick is fake and I don't know why people are obsessed in looking like her... and i saw a bunch of negative reviews on youtube about stuffs she sells.. they're expensive af too

• I don't know ANY women or girls who have EVER asked their boyfriend/husband/other male person to buy makeup for them. Like, literally, not *ever*. That's even including boyfriends/husbands who've bought all the tampons and pads in that relationship for the last 10 years.
    Lmao

Also -- Even if something is the same shade, it can still look different, or have a different finish, or just combine differently with different things in different ways.
    You have a point **IF** the girl is someone who's not very knowledgeable about the products, and is just buying stuff because the new packaging is cool-looking or whatever. But, if the girl knows what she's doing, then there can absolutely be TONS of different products with the same or same-ish shade that do totally different things.

I mean...
    I have totally different makeup stations for humid and dry weather.
    If I know I'm going to have lots of pictures taken, I have different stuff with different levels of dewy finish.
    I generally use at least 2 different black eyeliners together, and sometimes 3, because there's no one single black eyeliner that has the finish I want but that doesn't smear and adheres for a long enough time.
    Etc.

Long story short... if you're talking about a woman who actually knows what she's doing with this stuff, then, nah, it's perfectly possible that she could have a whole shitload of products that are the same *shade*, but that do entirely different things at different times with other different products.

• Just curious whether you have so many different sets of makeup because of your former profession, just as I have my own mini cloud computer set up in my garage because of mine.

@BeautifulMind59 hmm... the Eyeko "Fat" liquid liner is also one of my go-to's. I *thought* that was a lower price point (I haven't had to pay for it yet -- I got it as a birchbox sample a year or two ago, and then influenster sent me a full-size one), but it seems that one's around $18 or so too.

That one takes a bit of a slow hand -- you can't press it too hard or it'll start to run down yr face, but, if you apply it with the *right* pressure then it's pretty good on the no-smear front.

Apropos of nothing, I *wouldn't* recommend the Urban Decay glide-on liner. I tried it in the Perversion color (blackest black), and it actually made my eyes go all red when I put it on my lower waterline. I don't normally have such sensitive eyes, so... yeahhh I dunno (that doesn't usually happen even with cheap drugstore brands from South American countries)

Thanks, I appreciate your help! :-)

• Respect! I love this!!!

WTF is going on with the baboon butt lips in the top pic though?

• But also not everyone skin will react the same way. If you brought maybeline I might break out from a rash or something from that brand. Also sometimes some brands stuff sucks like I brought a foundation brush from elf and it broke in a month. So I think its good to have different brands because not everything works for everyone, or not every product will like the same products.

• That's your opinion, and my opinion is that I love Kylie Cosmetics! Well, I love makeup in general, yes, I'm a makeup junkie. No, I don't need a boyfriend to buy me makeup or I'm broke ( a second job will be nice so I could buy more makeup though).

This is just a part of my makeup station, and I just ordered more from UD, and to be honest I can't wait to buy Kylie's new birthday collection. I didn't get to buy it today because everything sold out :/
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...0fd4189641.jpg

• i would rather buy classical jewelry and clothes

HAHAHA I love this! Especially this line here "I will never understand that. Young girls will practically beg their boyfriend to buy them the new “Glow Kit” with their minimum wage Taco Bell salary." Because I honestly don't know how people afford to buy these expensive makeup products!

I guess everyone has things they spend their money on. But I've never really been a huge make up addict. I love make up, and I have a few palettes. But I typically just use drugstore make up.

Now I do get that some make up is definitely superior. I buy $20 foundation, but I also have acne! I need the coverage. But I do not wear it all the time.

I agree with you, there are a lot of products which you can easily buy the cheaper version and get a very similar result. I think make-up has definitely become too brand-oriented. We all have to have something because someone's name is on it. I respect people who genuinely want to bring different products into the market, especially for areas where there is a lack of products (ie. Cruelty free, organic, or even make up for people of different skin colours (as most makeup is geared towards white women)).

I think Kylie has merely figured out that she can make money by simply lending her name to a product. Good for her! But I think people should be more conscious as to what they are buying and why.

Everyone finds different products work differently for them. For instance, I can really only use Olay moisturizer on my face. But I have friends who find it to be too greasy. I have acne, and greasy skin and have no problems. But all other moisturizers are greasy for me. But that is just how the world works. Not one product works for everyone.

• Why would women have their boyfriend to buy them make up.. Thgey can buy it themselves with their own shitty paycheck. thats ridiculous. who does that. did you just make that up or do you know women who do that?

some lipstick stains and some eyeshade clumps so there's a difference between like department store and dollar store make up and some make up is cruelty free. so i see paying a few extra bucks for non staining non clapping non animal cruelty stuff.. but otherwise yeah i dont see paying tons for the same stuff.

of course better if make up was just tossed out. such a waste of money. jut use some kool aid to color the lips and leave the face alone in my opinion.

kylie jenner looks nothing like se actually looks. she's got a pound of make up on her face all the time. i guess see prob jelly bc kinda;l got to be a model and she's stuck puffing up her lips with glass jars. though kendall wouldn't have made it without the money & connections ion sure kylie knows that. anyhow did you actually p rove how anything was a scam or just say you think its dumb? i dpont think any of them are attractive. too over done too panted too full of themselves i can't imagine trying to talk to any of them.

• I agree even though I'm guilty haha

• She's 19. She's done more with her life than haters have.

• Because she was born into money and fans due to her sisters sex tape
      She actually didn't do shit, she had everything handed to her

• The only thing that is worth more money is foundation if you struggle finding a good shade, the expensive ones tend to have a bigger pallette to choose from.

• Wow, do girls beg guys to buy them make-up?
    I've never thought of that.

Anyway, some more expensive brands are really not the same as the cheaper ones and many actually have to deliver what they promise.
    Like if you buy a very cheap made in china crayon, maybe it won't hold the same effect as the regular ones and is not even oil based...

• I agree. I see these women jumping to buy $40 lipstick when they can literally get the exact same thing for $10. It's so stupid but women get sucked in.
    Occasionally getting a luxury product is one thing, but spending all your money on makeup is dumb af, especially since that shit expires.

• Nope, I'd rather have expensive shit with a name than some thrift store shit. In my opinion expensive makeup - from the right brand - is best. If I wear expensive makeup, I feel more extravagant, even if it's a scam.

Expensive lips are nice lips.

• i just can't get over how surgery and makeup made Kylie look 15 years older and a completely different ethnicity. I dont spend a shit ton of money on makeup that is basically killing my skin and body. Why not spend that on something more useful like natural skin products or a charity.

• You are completely right, but that also applies to cloths and tech as well. Think of high priced designer brands that want $160 for a black tank top, or how everyone wants vans or nikey shoes.

• It's consumerism, and it may all look alike but there's subtle differences, things about it that if you're really into it you'll notice. Or maybe just think you notice! I wouldn't buy from these new people though at all. they're re-inventing the wheel. I don't even wear any makeup other than cover girl mascara and Chanel foundation powder, but this is how I see it with all this makeup craze.

• I don't think it's the make up industry that's a scam but I think it's just people being stupid. There are many cheaper make up brands that work just as good or even better than the expensive make up brands. Why pay almost $100 for an eye shadow palette when you buy one that has a whole lot more in it for $10 to $20.

• I agree with you so much. My mother when she buys me makeup she usually goes to the drugstore and they can easily be better than those expensive branded makeup that everyone seems to be sporting on Instagram. Expensive isn't always better. Some drugstore makeup can even have much better quality than the high end ones.

• @HauteBrilliance Yeah like nyx is really good and isn't expensive at all

• To hell with her products... she's a teen but looks a decade older lol no thanks!!! Plus she should try her makeup on without fillers...
    Girls only need a nude or matching lipliner for fuller lips... That's all

• More from Girls
    14