A Few Tips For People With Naturally Curly Hair

i don't even know why my hair puts up with me. I spent 7 years using heat on it and 5 years dyeing it. Most of those years overlap. At this point I am still surprised I still have hair on my head. I stopped using chemical hair dye when I was 17. I stopped using heat every day when I was 18. Currently I am not using heat for more than four days a week but I am trying to get down to no more than two days a week. Hopefully that number will be 0. In the picture below, that of course is not me, but it is an accurate representation of what curls look like. I spent so many years straightening it that I am surprised my curls didn't deflate or something.

Every time I wear my hair naturally, and someone says I wish I had curly hair, I just say thanks but I am usually thinking of what I had to go through that morning to get it that way. My hair takes either five minutes or it takes a half hour. There really isn't any in between. And it's always the same routine but a different result. For anyone who has curly hair and is trying to go natural all the time, here are my best tips.

My Best Tips:

1. Take biotin every day, which you should do no matter what hair type you have.

2. A diffuser is the holy grail for naturally curly hair, just use it correctly.

3. Condition more and shampoo less

4. Never use a hair brush, use a wide tooth comb or your fingers.

5. I spent a good 45 mins in Walmart trying to find a hair product that didn't have sulfate or other fake crap in it. This is what I found and it is probably the best product I have tried for my hair.

6. Don't wash you hair every day, instead wash depending on your curl type. Loose curls 2-3 times a week, tight curls 1-2 times a week, and kinky curls 1 time a week.

7. Massage olive oil, coconut oil, and honey into hair. Do this twice a week.

8. Use a t-shirt to dry your hair not a towel.

9. Good hair mask for every type: 1 egg yolk, 2 tbsp coconut oil, and 1 tbsp honey.

10. Good DIY shampoo: 1/2 cup coconut oil, 1/2 cup Castile soap base, 1 tbsp jojoba oil, and 1/2 vitamin E oil.

Because people are idiots: not once did I say that curly hair is superior to straight hair. I am planning on doing a take for straight hair, so before you comment that I think my curly hair is superior to those with straight hair, just don't.

ginny_weasley is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 3

• 27d

Good tips, I have curly hair too, and it grows so fast, that's why I have to cut it very short, or else,... I would soon start looking like this :P

A lot of good tips in there - I knew and didn't know how complicated hair was - I was one of the ones even when I had hair just wash it in the shower every morning towel dry, 1 or 2 minute brush (* 3 if a hot date) and away you go,

Seems like you are too much worried about your hair. I like to see natural curly hair. These girls are still as beautiful as ones with long straight hair. Both are beautiful in their own ways.

And here we go. I never said curly hair is superior to straight hair. I don't have problems with my hair. I am just trying to get used it. Before you open your mouth again I am planning on doing another take for straight hair.

I will enjoy your take on straight hair. I will hope that you will just include the word ---long---in that paragraph. Because I am really fond of long hair.

• 25d

I don't know about others, but my natural curly hair without any help is usually some really cute little ringlets and spirals surrounded by a bunch of fuzz. I absolutely have to do at least something special to it to get rid of that fuzz, or it will look like I just got out of bed.

What Girls Said 3

I see you were inspired by my story. :)

It was mostly about black girls and how we are taught to believe that our natural hair is ugly and I desirable, but I guess it could apply to anyone with curly hair.

Also, I read the end. Don't write a take on straight hair because people were offended. There's no way to please anybody and life is too short to try. Just do what comes naturally to you and don't worry about what others think.

• 26d

This is great! I got the Shea Moisture Strengthen & Grow shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in conditioner and I love it! I switched from Pantene, which I thought worked well until I used the Shea Moisture!
    I've always used a wide toothed comb for my hair, and most of my friends who don't have curly hair either tell me I should brush it or just try to brush it for me. No way!
    I've never used a diffuser, but everyone who has tried to blow dry my hair gets frustrated because it just poofs and gets staticky and frizzy. It doesn't help that I have fine strands that are already very prone to frizz, and lots of them.
    I've been doing the biotin thing for a little while now, and along with just taking better care of my hair in general, I've noticed a big difference in my hair's health.
    This is a great take, thanks for the info!

Good tips. My hair isn't naturally curvy, but it is naturally wavy. I have also found that using a comb instead of a brush and using a t-shirt to dry instead of a towel both really help to maintain the wave and the frizz.