Basic Lolita Fashion Slang, Insults, Terms, Abbreviations, and Video's From Some Awesome Lolita YouTubers

A continuation of my series about the Lolita fashion.

Lolita FAQ's myTake.

1. Ita - An ita is usually someone new to the fashion with very little knowledge about how the rules of the aesthetics work who end up making an ass ugly coord. Ita can also be used to describe the way someone acts while in the fashion (like acting like a cat girl anime weeaboo).

2. Coord - A term short for coordinate which is what Lolita's call their outfits.

3. Burando/Brand - It's what people jokingly call brand name Lolita pieces (Things from Angelic pretty. Alice and the pirates, or Baby the stars shine bright, etc.) Burando is also how they pronounce brand in Japan.

4. AATP - Alice and the Pirates a high end Lolita brand

http://shop.baby-aatp.com/

5. AP - Angelic Pretty a high end Lolita brand

http://www.angelicpretty.com/en/

6. BTSSB - Baby the stars shine bright a high end Lolita brand

http://shop.baby-aatp.com/

7. Meta - Metamorphose/Metamorphose temps de fille a high end Lolita brand

https://www.metamorphose.gr.jp/

8. OTT - Over the top (It's not used as an insult.) I personally love OTT sweet coordinates.

9. JSK - Jumper skirt which is just a sleeveless dress you're suppose to wear a blouse under, or a bolero/cardigan over it.

10. OP - One piece dress which is a dress with sleeves (no blouse required with these).

11. OTK - Over the knee socks

12. Sk - Lolita Skirt

13. Fatty-chan - An insult used to shame what some Lolita's consider fat (only the stuck up ones would call someone this)

14. Brand Whore - The term used to describe Lolita's who are all about the brand life that shame any other Lolita who doesn't have a full brand or a brand name coord.

15. Vendetta-chan - A Lolita who usually lashes out online when shit doesn't go their way, or if they feel attacked by insulting and spilling secrets about people.

15. BTB - Behind the bows. This is a place where people do to either praise, insult, say random things about, or completely wreck a person. Usually it's mostly salty insults you see there, but sometimes you'll see something nice or funny.

16. EGL - Elegant Gothic and Lolita which is an online community with unfortunately a pretty bad reputation because of a few assholes even though it's not all that bad.

17. Second hand - It's basically hand-me-downs. Lolita fashion is expensive so most women buy second hand since it's a cheaper way to buy brand name pieces instead of buying them directly.

18. SS - Shopping service. A shopping service is what you use to buy pieces that can't be bought in your country because some places don't ship over sea's.

19. IW - Innocent World which is a high end brand name Lolita shop.

Replica's - Stolen art work (prints from dresses, designs, etc), and wearing them is very bad in the Lolita community.

21. Petti/Petticoat - The thing you wear under your dress to make it poofy and is a complete must wear in the Lolita fashion.

22. Bloomers - It's underwear for your underwear. You shouldn't go without wearing something like them or even p.j. shorts under your petticoat. Showing your panties is a Lolita no-no. This is a fashion about modesty after all.

23. Lace monster - This stinkin' crap right here! A butt ugly dress with too much lace and a crap design often involving low quality lace and fabric.

24. RHS - Rocking horse shoes. These you'd find in more old school Lolita cords from the past, but some people still wear them.

25. Lucky pack - It's like a stuff pack that's on sale usually involving items from the end of the year or dress made for that specific pack.

26. Cutsew - It's basically a thick t-shirt often cheaper than regular Lolita brand items and can be worn under a JSK or with an Sk for more of a casual Lolita look.

27. Brolita - A term in the west used to describe men who wear Lolita fashion.

28. Vm - Victorian Maiden which is a high end Lolita brand.

29. Haenuli - Another high end Lolita brand.

30. Off Brand - A piece not from a big name Lolita brand (not to be confused with loliable). Off brand items are usually from not well known/big name Lolita brands.

31. Ann House - A Chinese owned Lolita brand.

32. Princess/Hime cut - A type of bangs/fringe style that is most common in the Lolita fashion.

33. Gothic Lolita Bible - The most popular and well known Lolita fashion magazine in the community, and probably the most talked about one out there.

These are all the terms that are most common in the Lolita fashion...and all of the ones I could remember off of the top of my head.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 9

• 2d

My impression is that embracing a fashion like this would make you stand out in any crowd and I would wonder if that is the ultimate goal of the girl. There are good ways to stand out but this has a high potential for getting a girl labeled as "weird" or something similar. Some people want to cast themselves as weird so that they have a built in excuse or justification for not being a part of the mainstream.

Bottom line is that I think anyone with a serious attraction to this fashion style has some psychological factors at work in this decision.

• 2d

Some girls like weird, for many it's a way of self expression using clothes if they're too shy to put themselves out there without it, for some it's a confidence builder, and some people just like unique fashion that's not usually seen in the west.

• 2d

Right, I see that. Putting yourself a out there as "weird" is a way of saying "I don't care what anybody else thinks," which I respect in some ways, but it also erects some barriers, too.

• 2d

Looks like a very interesting lifestyle with good fashion. That most people have little to no understanding of

• 2d

Wow that sounds pretty hardcore.

• 1d

perfect

• 1d

I remember when I was a brand whore, whole family and friends had to stage an intervention and the years and years of theory to get right again... Now I spent all my time collecting hippopotamus figurines.

Nice list of terms by the way.

• 2d

Ugh this just reminds me of "don't stand don't stand so close to me... this girl is half his age!"-the police

• 2d

Lets see a picture of you in your lolita stuff then

https://i.makeagif.com/media/4-28-2015/H8kXrt.gif

if you don't show us pictures then you're an ita

media.giphy.com/media/QDK1pCI43lGhO/giphy.gif

• 2d

Sounds weird.
    But hey, I like weird things.

• 2d

I like weird things too. X3

• 1d

Well then lucky for us this isn't disturbing. What is disturbing is seeing young people dress like hookers nowadays.

• 21h

I don't think either is disturbing. People can dress as they want, that's the least of our problems.

• 2d

... hmm
    mmk i can dig it i suppose. If my girlfriend wanted to dress that way for the bedroom I would be hesitant at first.
    But... this trend isn't always for the bedroom, cool list.

• 2d

It's been around for longer than we've been alive, and it's not for the bedroom at all. It's a fashion, not a fetish.

• 2d

I think i read it, but i am too stubborn and/or completely forgot.
      Anyways my point is that it may not be the same, but to an outsider... it looks exactly the same as the other.

• 2d

The myTake series I'm making is to inform outsiders about the fashion so they'll know the difference.

What Girls Said 11

• 2d

I think this post is so cool. Thanks for sharing!

• 2d

I like picture 10

• 2d

I actually own the dress in number 10's picture. I've bought it from the site where I got the picture from and it is so cute.

• 2d

Awwh that's nice. Lucky you :)

• 2d

It's cool.
    I'm into Medieval and Victorian fashion so this intrigues me. :3 That's what it's based off of, right?

• 2d

This sounds like a different world. This my take was informative and full of good stuff to know. Also the dress from number nine is super cute

• 1d

nice post

• 1d

nice one

• 2d

The first time I found about the Lolita style I was 17. I thought it was pretty cool, cute, and extremely girly.

• 2d

Never knew about this thanks for sharing

• 2d

The JSK dress & skirt you used as examples are super cute!😱💖 Omg I want them now but I'm not Lolita so I might just end up looking Ita? 😅

• 2d

All lolita's have to start somewhere. If you ask for tips and pointers from seasoned lolita's and go through with them you should be fine.

• 2d

Where/how do you meet local lolitas though? I rarely ever see any in Amsterdam but I bet there are some here!

• 2d

There are actually Amsterdam Lolita's, but you usually end up meeting other Lolita's online in your local online community. It's the online communities that schedule meet ups so everyone can talk in person and everything. You would also find some at different conventions, but to not mistake actually Lolita's for cosplayers and vice versa.

• 2d

So intense! I love so much of the fashion but the community sounds so restrictive.

• 2d

It's actually not as restrictive as you think. As long as the coord looks decent no one will complain except elitists who no one likes to begin with. There's elitists in all fashion subcultures, and it's best to ignore them. Just don't confuse someone giving sound advice with someone who's an elitists.

• 2d

Some people confuse the two, but they are very different.

• 2d

That has to be frustrating.

• 2d

This is like a whole world that I never knew existed. Thanks for the very in depth info on it!