Why Guys Love Long Hair

Guys love long hair on girls, something that may puzzle some women. I'm here to settle the debate, tell you why we love long, silky hair, and even offer some tips on how to grow your hair long!

Why do guys love long hair?

1. Hair can be seen as a secondary sex characteristic, and long hair is perceived as more feminine.

2. Guys enjoy the feel and texture of a girl's long hair, much different from their own as girls' hair tends to be softer and silkier.

3. Other girls may find a short haircut adorable, but men always prefer hair long and touchable. Some have speculated that this goes back to the middle ages, when women were required to keep their hair covered and revealed it only to their husbands.

"There's a way to make long hair look great on anyone"
4. Long hair can be seen as unabashedly feminine, something that a guy may be looking for in his potential girlfriend, whereas for whatever reason, men tend to equate any short haircut with boyish, even if it is the cutest bob.

5. Keeping your hair back may mark you as someone serious and mysterious, while leaving it down can subtly communicate to him that you are free-spirited and adventurous. Short hair is just short hair to a guy.

Long hair gives endless opportunities to change up your look and express yourself; curly one day, straight the next, up for formal occasions and down to just hang out
6. Long hair can also complement a girl's features. For some, long hair can soften strong features, giving a more feminine look to sharper, angular faces. Long hair can also be drawn away from the face, highlighting the features, whereas short hair is pretty much set in the style dictated by the cut.

7. Long hair presents myriad options for styling - curly one day, straight the next, up for formal occasions and down to just hang out. There's a way to make long hair look great on anyone and long hair gives endless opportunities to change up your look and express yourself. You can be boho one day and an uptown girl the next.
Long hair presents myriad options for styling

How Can I Grow My Hair Longer?

Many people think that maintaining long hair is difficult, but it's not.

1. The fastest way to grow your hair out is to make sure that you have regular haircuts, about every eight to ten weeks. This keeps your ends from splitting; meaning that you get to keep more of your hair every time you go in for a haircut. It also means that your hair stays healthy and less prone to breakage.

2. Between haircuts, make sure to use conditioner, especially on your ends.

3. A leave in treatment is very simple to do every couple of weeks and makes sure your hair stays looking great. Simply apply your conditioner to your hair after showering in the evening and wash it out the next morning. This will keep your hair glossy and soft, plus help to protect it from the heat you use to style it.

There are not only many reasons why men love long hair so that women should keep it long, but also that many tips to help you maintain a long hair easily. Pick your look, are you going to be an uptown girl or a boho today?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 2

• To me (and a lot of men), longer hair on a woman, as opposed to shorter hair, is simply more physically arresting in most cases, and to a lesser degree, this applies to men as well (rapper-style buzz cuts on young non-black men severely compromises their overall look). To put it tersely; it's all personal preference

• So what happens when you're wrong and a guy likes short hair?

What Girls Said 18

• Honestly they just want to grab it during sex

• I have long hair.. I hate having it up but my fear of lice makes me never want to have it down.. I love having long hair though.

• Oh, I see what your point is... but short hair like the way Kana Hanazawa styles it is adorable and very feminine!=) You can google her if youd like o: I would love to style my hair like hers, I think its so cute (#^.^#) and its short o:

• I love long hair. I am impatient for it to grow to my waist.^_^
    "Short haircut with boyish, even if it is the cutest bob" I kind of disagree. Bob haircuts are considered super feminine.

• Although this article has some great tips, you sound very self absorbed like you have fragile confidence. If you're the type of girl who has beautiful, long hair, but you'd be a wreck if...say it got set on fire and you had to cut it. Then you didn't know what to do with your life and felt extremely insecure, many guys would find that mind weakness unattractive. I've had friends like that.

• I'm growing it out now but I'm stuck at dumb collar bone almost past shouder length..I can't w8 til it gets longer caz is naturaly curly!

• This is all unfortunately true. When I had long hair, nearly every guy on the street would turn to look at me - I kept very good care of my long blond locks :) But I say the word unfortunate because when my body's vitamin and ph balance spiraled out of control,(won't go into medical details) I lost almost all my hair. It is now short, just a little past my chin .Guys barely look at me anymore. I was a model. But now that my hair is completely different, I'm judged by just it. It's sad.

• I love my long hair. I wear it down must times and on rainy days or when it doesn't fall the way I like it I simply pick it up. I can wear it where I look like a native Indian, ha ha and I'm not Indian. In the end you should wear your hair the way you like. It's a huge part of who you are it's part of your personality. Short or long wear it with pride! And the heck with who ever doesn't like it because it's about you not them!

• I'm not saying every girl should grow her hair out long, I'm just saying that sometimes you have to keep these little things in mind.

• This is why I have long hair. lol. I always thought I would look cute with a bob but I refuse to get it because I love my long hair way too much. :]

Also, I think the word "confidence" is thrown around here on the site a lot, & although it IS necessary, it doesn't replace the basic things that most men like. You can have all the confidence you want, but if you don't shower/bathe or don't shave your legs, it's not really gonna get you far. lol but those are extremes.

• I don't think that just because men like long hair that women should grow it long. It's a lot of maintenance! If she wants to, then that is fantastic and I suppose both parties are happy campers! But we really shouldn't pressure girls to have long hair. It's about CONFIDENCE, not hair length.

• What do guys consider long though? I had hair half way down my back and when I told a guy I was cutting it short, he envisioned Ellen DeGeneres kind of hair... when in actual fact, it's past my shoulders by 2 inches or so...

• all I know is that guys barely notice me now and I have quite short hair. I'm trying to grow it out. to most girls I say please don't cut it. There's only like 0.5% of girls with thin faces and sharp cherkbones that suit short hair imo. keep it long and flowing. otherwise your confidence takes a hit. just my experience.

• i'd rather be the cat lady than grow out my hair again,short hair is so much more fun than that ugly blanket-hair thing I used to have

• i love long hair

• I love long hair as well, but I've definitely heard my boyfriend compliment girls with short hair...followed by the "she's got the right face for it..." which I agree with.

• In some cases this may be true, but there are also guys out there who like short hair - it's more about how well the cut compliments the girl's features, really. If they have a face that should be framed around the cheekbone area, a short pixie cut that does that will look much more appealing than long hair that doesn't.

I also think that it should come down to what the girls prefer. Interesting article, but male preferences definitely shouldn't dictate what girls decide. Just be yourself! :)

• I hate having hair longer than past my shoulders. Sucks for any guy.