• Ask
  • myTake

Which Hair Color Is Most Attractive?

Hair color is one of the most distinguishing aspects of a female's appearance. If you ask men, most will have a preference as to which they think is most attractive.

Personally, I think that brunettes are the most attractive granted other factors such as skin tone play a part, too. For me this relates to experience. The brunette girls I know are simply more fun. They enjoy doing outdoor activities, sports, going to a movie, among a bunch of other things. So technically it is not the hair color itself, but what personality I associate with each hair color.

Hair color is not a main criterion of attractiveness for me. A girl's complete physical appearance and her personality are much more important.

"Going back to Marilyn Monroe, and maybe even further, there has been this portrayal of blondes as extremely attractive women"

While this does not apply to me, there appears to be a general consensus that men prefer blondes. A lot of this has to do with the perception and portrayal of blondes.

Everyone has heard the saying "dumb blonde." This notion may appeal to certain guys because they think if they get a blonde girl they can get her to do more of what they want. Yes, this is a pathetic notion, but many stereotypes are. Also there is the saying: "blondes have more fun," and although likely false, the saying still exists. Furthermore, in the media there is the portrayal of the blonde bombshell. So the notion of blondes being the most desired women type is everywhere.

"A girl's complete physical appearance and her personality are much more important than just the hair color."

Going back to Marilyn Monroe, and maybe even further, there has been this portrayal of blondes as extremely attractive women. There is a desire to look like Barbie, which entails a small waist, large breasts, and perhaps most importantly long blonde hair. Due to the perception and portrayal of blondes, there is a belief that they are preferred by men. Whether this is true or not remains a question, but the belief is certainly out there. And in this context, I am a non-believer.

What Girls Said 11

• I've always resisted the temptation to go blond - proud to be a brunette :)

• I'm blond, dirty blond. A natural one, too. I hate the stereotype "dumb blonde," it just bugs me when people call me that when I start to trip over my words. I dyed my hair a bunch of different colors because of that reason. Blonds shouldn't be critized because of that stereotype. Most blonds will be offended if you say they want to look like Barbie. Honestly, does hair color even matter? You shouldn't love the girl because of hair color. Like come on! People have become so shallow.

• @ objectivetruth

What studies? I'm interested because I had Strawberry Blond in my youth and now the hair is a more reddish-brown or "chestnut blonde" / "high chestnut" color (according to hair coloring sites, some even call it 'dark blonde') . Males of all ages have always commented on my hair and I have never understood why. For the past 20-some years, in my eyes it's been just 'brown'. Since my 13th year, occasionally people have even asked if I dye it ?! Why the love?

• um you forgot the redheads? :(

• So there are only two hair colors in existence according to this article. You totally omitted the red and black spectrums!

• IMO, natural brunette bleached my hair blond, it's more about the girls looks and personality that make the hair color come alive. I get a lot of attenchion as a blond and don't plan on going back , for me it works cause I'm naturally pretty, bubbly, random, flirty,as well as skinny and big boobs. Brunettes imo have the upperhand tho, in my experience guys like them better, blondes just catch they eye and brunettes seem to catch the heart. For whatever reason idk

• Most people who were blond as a child, become darker as they grow up. So blond hair is often associated with youth. That's why they say blondes have more fun.

Fake blondes are often chasing the barbie image and are often high maintenaince. But its not possible to stereotype people because of their natural hair color...

• I read in a study somewhere that around 45% prefer blondes. I think this is a geological thing though. I also think complexions that are less common are generally viewed as more "exotic". My hair is dark blond, but the sun lightens it. So naturally the ends which have been in the sun more, are much blonder than the roots. When my hair is up, I could pass for brunette, when its down, undeniably blond (yes, natural). When my hair is down, I get tonnes of attention.

• yeh I'm with you on that, brunette is warm and blond to me, personally, I think tacky and bad condition.

• I'd never want to have blond hair, partially because it'd look ridiculous with my eyebrows. But furthermore I'm really only attracted to guys with dark hair. I'd rather date a guy with a big nose that had black hair than a handsome blond. (And yes, personality would factor in, but I'm pretending like it doesn't.)

• Dirty blonde or dark brown hair, I first notice their smile when they are laughing... Might sound cheesy, but it's true for me.

What Guys Said 8

• I've met attractive blondes ( dated three, married one) hot and dark brunettes (dated two) and breath taking gingers (that one on the nude beach looked as if she was on fire: just pure nature, untrimmed, not shaved either, all other girls became just invisible when she arrived)

Personally, I don't like auburn, but that's just me.

• I like red heads. The color is rich and pleasant to look at

• black and very dark hair is by far the most beautiful

• Although hair color isn't the deciding factor, for me, to choose which woman I want to approach I still choose brown haired brunettes as the favoring color on a women's hair. I'll chose black haired brunettes as my second place, following brownish red, redheads, dark blond and my least favorite bleach blond (that almost white color).

• Red heads by far. Gingers are hot!

• For me the preferences in hair color rank as Brunette, Blonde, Red, Black, Katy Perry Pink ..Grey and FL Blue hahahaa

• Garnered from studies of what men prefer in descending order:

1. Blonde

2. Reddish Brown

3. Starwberry Blonde

4. Brown

5. Red

6. Dark Brown

7. Black

• I completely agree with you when you say "A girl's complete physical appearance and her personality are much more important than just the hair color."

Join the discussion

0/2500