Make-up Makes You Want It

In nature, male animals are often the ones that have to impress the females. Take peacocks for example. When you think of peacocks, the beautiful array of colorful feathers likely springs to mind. Guess what, that's the male peacock. The female peacock is actually very plain. The males have to look gorgeous in order to impress the females enough to gain a mate. Ducks are the same way. The shiny emerald headed ducks are male, and the plain brown ducks are female. Why, then, does it go the opposite way for humans?

Instead of the men prancing around trying to impress women with their colorful feathers, it's the females who are supposed to look gorgeous. Men can sit back and relax while women apply all manner of epoxies and colored powders on their faces in order to entice them. Instead of men competing for attention, it's quite the opposite as far as looks are concerned. You see men with unibrows and sloppy unkempt hair ending up with models.

As far back as anyone can remember, male humans were the brutish types who did all of the manual labor, hunting, or general hard work. Women tended to more delicate matters like raising children or cooking the food her mate brought home for them. In this way we are different from the birds mentioned above. The more feminine of the species is usually the one to look beautiful. It would seem a lot less manly if the hard working men wore makeup as opposed to the childbearing women. Male peacocks are more feminine than their counterparts, while female humans are the feminine of the species. For this, they are usually the ones to present their beauty and majesty.

Although it seems backward that women should be the ones to wear makeup, that's the way our society and caveman past have decided to do it.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 8

• So what was the point of this article?

• Mesonfielde I was not aware that my love life is so easy. Where are those flocking men you speak of? Don't hold out on me

• Whats your point ? Yes stereotypes exist - very stubbornly. Hitler believed in stereotypes as well- but he had different ideas for clothing and make up- especially the tatood lamps. There is really nothing delicate about periods pregnancy and childbearing ,plus al the other things women do.

Was this a promotional article for Dove, Loreal, Clinique...?

• One either side...don't expect to be able to attract a mate if you can't at least keep yourself groomed.Going around looking like you don't care about yourself is no way to attract a mate male or female!

• I admit it--I like to get all dolled up for my man!

• Guys have a different type of "make-up" to wear - good job, rugged good looks, nice car - we girls like that.

• I like to look good because it makes guys look at me hahaha. I love it when you catch someone checking you out ;)

• Ugh...cakey foundation. That's the main reason I refused to wear makeup until recently. THEN I figured out how to put on foundation (and everything else) so it's not even noticeable! Except eyeshadow, which I LOVE to play up. I'm so proud of myself! hehe Now I rarely go out without dolling up!

It is interesting that we're so backward from other species in our mating rituals. Although I am the type who thinks eyeliner is sexy on some men! *blush*

What Guys Said 6

• The fact that women have to wear makeup is more likely (note - not certain, just like your article) to originate from customs that guys had to do the work and females were all suppressed and were held merely to be housewives for children, therefore in order to get the attention of high-classed men, they used makeup to look more attractive. And this custom remained.

I personally disagree with the fact that makeup makes anyone more attractive than they are. More available, approachable, maybe.

• Yeah, EXCEPT it's still the woman who has to be impressed, and it's the women who do the selection. Various guys get "turned on" by one female, and she single-handedly eliminates them. Why? Because she's the one who has to give birth. We have more in common with the bee queen system, actually. It's nowhere nearly as one-sided as this article shows. This is why guys had to court for months and stuff, women aren't just standing there to be taken in a moment.

• This was an interesting article. I never looked at the situation in that light before. thanks!

• A lot of girls wear way too much - mainly the "caked in foundation" thing gets on my nerves. It is like an inability to deal with your own flaws.

• Whether we know it or not, we all have a certain demeanor about us, men may not have to keep their make-up nice, but we have to keep our demeanor in good repair, or it won't matter what we look like. :p

• It's just a backward society with gender roles. As we advance this will be left behind and men and women can be themselves and wear what they want.