Things women with natural afro's are sick of dealing with/hearing

1. Can I touch it?/People touching your hair without your permission as if though you were an animal at a petting zoo.

Unless you are a close, and I mean VERY close friend, don't touch it.

2. You should straighten it so you can have "good hair". Why don't you get a weave or perm it so have "good hair"? You'll never get a guy if you don't have "good hair".

The "good hair" comment is something we normally hear from other black people and it's rather annoying. The texture, colour, and length doesn't determine good hair. Your hair being healthy because it hasn't been messed with by those family dollar chemicals some women like to buy is what determines weather it's good hair or not. Those harsh chemicals can lead to massive hair loss. I'd rather have a full head of afro than my hairline retreating to the back of my head.

3. Do you wash your hair? What happens when you wash it?

Our hair gets wet and then it gets dry, and yes, we do wash our hair. What were you expecting?

3. Have you stuck things in your hair?/People sticking random objects in your hair thinking it's funny.

Unless you want a well deserve ass whoopin' I'd advise you not to do this.

4. I know someone/have a friend with hair like yours! :D

Ok, and?

5. You look like Solange./You look so exotic.

We may be natural, but no one looks like her. Also, how is my hair exotic? I though the world knew black people had natural afro's and wouldn't be surprised by this. So please, tell me how my hair is other worldly again?

6. Is that your real hair?

. . . . . Bruh. . . . .

7. Ew, your hair is so nappy/kinky.

We comb, pick, and brush our hair just like everyone else. Just because it's an afro texture does no mean our hair is nappy and/or kinky.

8. How do you get your hair to do that?

Genetics home slice, genetics.

Things women with natural afro's are sick of dealing with/hearing.

Hopefully this myTake will help people realize that comments and questions like those are rather annoying, and quite offensive. And maybe, just maybe, people wouldn't find our hair so unique to where we need to be treated like aliens. If I've forgotten anything please leave a comment below about what you think should have been added.

3716

Most Helpful Guy

• Those who presume that black ppl's hair being natural is "unkept"... is usually said out of more ignorance than maliciousness in my opinion.

Our hair is really that unique, and not everyone has been consistently exposed to it like you and I have growing up.

However there are ZERO excuses to sticking objects in someone's hair. That's just rude.

Most Helpful Girl

• This is sad to know some of these things because I am fascinated by natural afro-hair. I am envious of how it can take the shape of any style, especially ones like this:
    www.short-haircut.com/.../short-black-hair.jpg
    I guess to ask questions and want to touch it, at least in my case is because it's out of envy and love for that kind of hair. I don't know many black people, and those who I do I haven't actually *touched* their hair, and a couple of times was invited to touch it. If a black woman is going to snap my head off then, okeeeee then, I will leave her be. :)

• Things are fine and good if you're a close friend or are invited to do it. I'm talking about those who are strangers or acquaintances' that do it.

• No, I tend to see it as being viewed as if though I were a unicorn or some kind of petting zoo animal. It's just hair so I don't see why people have the need to touch. o:

• It's not just hair...
      Hair is beautiful.
      Aside from our skin tone and our eye color its the one thing that sets us apart from each other...

And in the coolest way possible.
      Different colors [natural or not] different textures [natural or not]. Hair is like tattoos. Its so amazing.

But i also went to beauty school so im weird. I love touching peoples hair. I never felt ethnic hair tho

I do understand not wanting heads touched tho. Its some human evolutionary trait that you dont like strangers touching your head.

But if i can go around caressing all heads and not be weird or get yelled at. I would

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 15

• The nice thing about being a man is that no one cares when I have a fro.
    But they still want to touch it. , _ , And I cannot break their wrists when they do.

• I wish more Afro-Caribbean women kept their hair natural instead of straightening it.

• Thanks for the information. These activities are sheer ignorance.

• They are and sadly they do happen.

• Yeah, it's expected, unfortunately. It's kinda racism :/

• It is, but since some folks think since they didn't mention a race, skin colour, or used an internationally known offensive word then it's not racist.

• You know, this topic is something that is near and dear to my heart and I actually plan to make a video about it on my channel. I think you would love my channel. Check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LRZjwtCINY

• I hate that too, i get that somwtimes, like do you comb your hair, howcome it's so soft

• The best myTake I have read so far. Any person who touches my hair without permission... It will be the end of them and it will be the last thing they ever touch. -_-

• I get what your saying, 100%. Have tons of black girl friends

But hey, it's like anything else... people will prefer what people prefer. When you got Operah that doesn't come on the show with an Afro you better believe a lot of women will want hair that's luscious, soft, touchable enough to drag your finders through type of hair etc

can't lie. Most of the times girls do look better when it falls rather than the Afro... ah well

• O_ o I know Oprah is filthy rich, but I didn't know people still watched her or founder her relevant...

• Yea she's rich and she's chooses to keep her hair straight instead of making a bold statement and keeping an Afro (since she can do whatever she wants)... so think about it. Women used to always ask her how her hair was so nice

Let's be honest here, Afros are great because it's natural and you can't change it, sure.. But I bet my bottom dollar that most black girls desire and want luscious soft straight hair. Why else is there such a Big market for fake hair in the community. I'm sure your victim of that too

can't chamge it really I guess... we like what we like. The girl in the picture you posted I'm not so sure if it's her Afro that's pretty or it's just her face that's gorgeous... put any hair style on her and she will look beautiful

But I do think some women look amazing with their natural hair, that's for sure... but there's not many unfourtantely

• I have a curly fro and I find straight hair boring (no offense to anyone with straight hair, black, white or purple). I love my curly fro and if my hair were straight I would be bored with it, wishing it was curly.

• I never ask to touch anyone's hair that's just weird lol

• When I had a buzz cut women would want to touch it. Along with the ease of care it was one of the best parts.

• ANYONE WHO WEARS A WIG, HAIR HAT OR WEAVE IS NOT COOL.

• I want to touch @thewanderingme's afro basically

• That's so interesting I didn't know some people's hair naturally grow like that. Interesting style...

• I don't see anything special about this hair style.

• Hahaha lol your take was funny..😊

• Thank you, I'm glad I could educate as well as entertain all at the same time.

• i1127.photobucket.com/.../...f.com-gif-maker_1.gif My waifu GREAT TAKE and Oh I bet that it is annoying hearing that BS all of the time ^_^ i1127.photobucket.com/.../...f.com-add-text_15.gif

• Have you stuck things in your hair?/People sticking random objects in your hair thinking it's funny.
      Unless you want a well deserve ass whoopin' I'd advise you not to do this. HAHAHAHAHAHH

• 8. How do you get your hair to do that?
      Genetics home slice, genetics.

SOMEONE asked me that ton here about my 360 WAVES -_- like you gotta be fucking kidding me man LOLol

• ;A; Oh my 'lanta it is and it happens more often than people think. I get comments every time I'm around my friends or family members.

What Girls Said 36

• I'm soooo sorry but #3 is funny! People actually ask if you use your afro for personal storage or something? I'm not laughing at you, just at the silly things some people say XD

I really like afros. I think they look nice and wish more people, mainly women, would stop using all those crazy chemicals to straighten it.
    [IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/1zisqo.jpg[/IMG]
    Gorgeous hair, gorgeous woman.

• I completely agree, and yes, people ask if I can store things in there. ~3~

• This was really interesting, thanks for sharing. I would feel so violated if some random person tried touching my hair. Like, hello, personal space. Lol And telling you your hair is nappy? Smh... some people are just so rude.

• Yup, apparently curly hair/afro = nappy to most people.

• Yeah, but it seems to me like a lot parents are doing a really crappy job of raising their kids these days, judging by my own generation. It's sad.

• I couldn't agree more with that statement.

• I was already aware of all these things, I just wanted to drop by and say that I think afros are gorgeous :)

• I'm actually sick of posts like these, no offense. I've done the whole natural thing for a year and went straight back to a relaxer. I did it just because I wanted to without any main underlying reason. I got gawked by all the Natural Nazis around me like, "1, Omg.. why put that crack in your hair..2. Are you ashamed of your natural black hair?3. Stop trying to be Caucasian.

I also hate this stupid ass idea of a movement where natural black women think they are the new aged revolutionaries who are so misunderstood and are so oppressed... Omg.. pathetic. It's JUST hair. Of all the damn problems we have.. if I have to sit down and explain my HAIR to people.. I'd know that I've reached a new dimension of sadness.

• If you're sick of posts like these then don't read it. This take is for those who are sick of what we natural girls are hearing. Not you sweetness.

• I wouldn't have posted this is people DIDN'T day these things. While it doesn't happen 24/7 it does happen often enough to be very annoying. People have different experiences when going natural mine and a few other people I know just happen to go through an experience that is different from yours. The area I live in is pretty diverse and I still get these comments, and when I do visit family up north where there are a lot more black people I still get annoying comments. Just because you haven't gone through it doesn't mean other people haven't deary.

• Look, I'm not trying to start an argument with you on whether you go through these things or not. Maybe I came off a little bit harsh with my criticism. I am just sick of black women focusing so much on hair whether it is positively or negatively. Black women have a history of being perceived as 'below society's standard of beauty' especially with our hair. When girls started going natural, I was actually fascinated by the whole thing until it became a movement and then became something that we needed to 'defend/ fight for. That is what pisses me off. The beauty industry is the one who made us obsessive with hair in the first place in order for us to run to them for 'savior' products. Now it's like our symbol of 'freedom'.' Why do we stress so much about hair? More than any other race, so much to write about how other people should refer to it? Think about it. Cut it off, you'll see that we have 100 other problems than what people think our hair looks like.

• I can't pull off my natural hair or get the afro look... I mean I can by when it dries but it looks nothing like that more like super short, wavy, and thick so I straighten it.

People ask to touch my hair all the time it doesn't really bother me. A lot ask if it's real it doesn't really bother me either because it is though it's still stereotyping or making false assumptions.

Lastly the perm one really annoys me. You must have gotten a perm your hair is so soft and smooth. Why won't you get one it's the only way.

But anyways good take I know exactly what you mean.

• Excellent Take! I just asked a question about this. It's hard being black with a lot of hair. People always assume it's fake!

• I know. It's like, why can't people understand that black women can grow hair too like everyone else if it's maintained well?

• Yeah! People can be ignorant sometimes.

• Yester, my lover's sister in law pulled a lock of my hair and told me, "wow, it's so long, and really curly. You should brush your hair more"... I was so embarrassed. I was so embarrassed. They are Vietnamese and Mexican, so I don't think they thought anything of it, but dang. >.>

• How could they not have thought anything when it came to pulling someone's hair? O_ o

• People actually stick things in your hair? What the actual fuck?

• Yup, and it sucks. People don't realize how rude they're being.

• Good take!

I had people from my family telling me number 2 when I decided to let my hair natural. It seems that natural hair doesn't look good and only women with straight hair are married or get boyfriends.
    I also had a classmate telling me that I look taller because of my hair. Can you believe it?

I hate these comments and people don't realize how offensive and stupid they are.

• I know right? I keep hearing that type of thing from my grandmother and cousins.

• This is similar to something that my sister told me today, she said that some black people think this way because they have a "slave" mentality.

• It wouldn't be completely wrong...

• Right I hate it especially these:

You have got to do something with that (I really hate this one)
    You should put this product in it
    I know someone who has (insert hair texture)
    You should try this style
    I couldn't wear my hair natural (Good for you but you would wear a weave/wig with natural texture, Girl Bye!)

• SOMEONE FINALLY MAKE A TAKE ABOUT THIS! :D

1. At least the asked. I've had people putting their hands into my hair, looking for tracks -_-. I appreciate when they ask even though that shizz gets annoying.

2. I get this EVERYDAY. If not, every week. IIt's as if they feel the need to educate me on whats good for my hair.

3. People think they're funny. It's a pain in the ass taking things out.

4. Who cares?

5. Ok.

6...

7. Never been told this.

8. Lol..

• I never had an afro but, when I wear my hair down people always touch it and says its poofy. Which I don't really mind but, it gets annoying sometimes when they try to braid it and do a lot of hair styles. A few times people said my hair was nappy because it's poofy. But, I considered it as jealousy. I'm Native American so my hair is also long. Nice take though.

• thank you for writing, I will keep it in mind !!

why do people put shit in your hair thats so stupid

• A lot of them are rude that's why. I swear if I get one more pen or pencil stuck in my hair I might have to be charged with assault for smacking the stupid out of someone. ~3~

• There is no justice in the world.

• haha yes I had all of this questions asked, except (and thanks God) 7 and 3!
    about good hair- the most annoying. especially when you have glorious fro and girls who say this to you are wearing weaves, because under that they're nearly bald after all the chemicals :/ i wish they embrace the nature, not the stupid fake stereotypes!

• There's one chick at my school who has a natural afro, she (somehow) chucked it in a bun one day and instantly a mutual friend has come up, grabbed it and asked how she liked her muffin touched. He's just weird like that. She just laughed and answered him (I'm assuming) truthfully. He's good friends with everyone though and I know if she asked him to he wouldn't do that.

I've never realised people were as rude as this about them though, I love afros. Would never have one because I know for a fact it won't work on me. But I love them, why would someone wish it away

It's really weird seeing that chick with her hair straightened though. She's only done it once at a friends request (they wanted to know what it would look like) nobody has asked her to again, and she is not willing to again.

• I was laughing so much at this take, not at you just at how stupid people can be. Great take.

• I can imagine how annoying that would get. Good take!

• I had an afro as a young child but my hair is fine bonky curly now lol. Yes that would be annoying with those comments!.

• This was fantastic.

• Lol. I actually like people touching my hair so I don't mind being asked that.

I haven't heard number 2 and if I did, I would think that person was extremely ignorant...

And I've heard number 7 A LOT. My hair is just really thick and hard to comb through... lol.

Nice thoug.

• More from Girls
    16