Things women with natural afro's are sick of dealing with/hearing

1. Can I touch it?/People touching your hair without your permission as if though you were an animal at a petting zoo.

Unless you are a close, and I mean VERY close friend, don't touch it.

2. You should straighten it so you can have "good hair". Why don't you get a weave or perm it so have "good hair"? You'll never get a guy if you don't have "good hair".

The "good hair" comment is something we normally hear from other black people and it's rather annoying. The texture, colour, and length doesn't determine good hair. Your hair being healthy because it hasn't been messed with by those family dollar chemicals some women like to buy is what determines weather it's good hair or not. Those harsh chemicals can lead to massive hair loss. I'd rather have a full head of afro than my hairline retreating to the back of my head.

3. Do you wash your hair? What happens when you wash it?

Our hair gets wet and then it gets dry, and yes, we do wash our hair. What were you expecting?

3. Have you stuck things in your hair?/People sticking random objects in your hair thinking it's funny.

Unless you want a well deserve ass whoopin' I'd advise you not to do this.

4. I know someone/have a friend with hair like yours! :D

Ok, and?

5. You look like Solange./You look so exotic.

We may be natural, but no one looks like her. Also, how is my hair exotic? I though the world knew black people had natural afro's and wouldn't be surprised by this. So please, tell me how my hair is other worldly again?

6. Is that your real hair?

. . . . . Bruh. . . . .

7. Ew, your hair is so nappy/kinky.

We comb, pick, and brush our hair just like everyone else. Just because it's an afro texture does no mean our hair is nappy and/or kinky.

8. How do you get your hair to do that?

Genetics home slice, genetics.

Things women with natural afro's are sick of dealing with/hearing.

Hopefully this myTake will help people realize that comments and questions like those are rather annoying, and quite offensive. And maybe, just maybe, people wouldn't find our hair so unique to where we need to be treated like aliens. If I've forgotten anything please leave a comment below about what you think should have been added.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 16

• Those who presume that black ppl's hair being natural is "unkept"... is usually said out of more ignorance than maliciousness in my opinion.

Our hair is really that unique, and not everyone has been consistently exposed to it like you and I have growing up.

However there are ZERO excuses to sticking objects in someone's hair. That's just rude.

• When I had a buzz cut women would want to touch it. Along with the ease of care it was one of the best parts.

• I never ask to touch anyone's hair that's just weird lol

• ANYONE WHO WEARS A WIG, HAIR HAT OR WEAVE IS NOT COOL.

• The best myTake I have read so far. Any person who touches my hair without permission... It will be the end of them and it will be the last thing they ever touch. -_-

• I get what your saying, 100%. Have tons of black girl friends

But hey, it's like anything else... people will prefer what people prefer. When you got Operah that doesn't come on the show with an Afro you better believe a lot of women will want hair that's luscious, soft, touchable enough to drag your finders through type of hair etc

can't lie. Most of the times girls do look better when it falls rather than the Afro... ah well

• O_ o I know Oprah is filthy rich, but I didn't know people still watched her or founder her relevant...

• Yea she's rich and she's chooses to keep her hair straight instead of making a bold statement and keeping an Afro (since she can do whatever she wants)... so think about it. Women used to always ask her how her hair was so nice

Let's be honest here, Afros are great because it's natural and you can't change it, sure.. But I bet my bottom dollar that most black girls desire and want luscious soft straight hair. Why else is there such a Big market for fake hair in the community. I'm sure your victim of that too

can't chamge it really I guess... we like what we like. The girl in the picture you posted I'm not so sure if it's her Afro that's pretty or it's just her face that's gorgeous... put any hair style on her and she will look beautiful

But I do think some women look amazing with their natural hair, that's for sure... but there's not many unfourtantely

• I have a curly fro and I find straight hair boring (no offense to anyone with straight hair, black, white or purple). I love my curly fro and if my hair were straight I would be bored with it, wishing it was curly.

• You know, this topic is something that is near and dear to my heart and I actually plan to make a video about it on my channel. I think you would love my channel. Check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LRZjwtCINY

• I wish more Afro-Caribbean women kept their hair natural instead of straightening it.

• The nice thing about being a man is that no one cares when I have a fro.
    But they still want to touch it. , _ , And I cannot break their wrists when they do.

• I want to touch @thewanderingme's afro basically

• Thanks for the information. These activities are sheer ignorance.

• They are and sadly they do happen.

• Yeah, it's expected, unfortunately. It's kinda racism :/

• It is, but since some folks think since they didn't mention a race, skin colour, or used an internationally known offensive word then it's not racist.

• I don't see anything special about this hair style.

• I hate that too, i get that somwtimes, like do you comb your hair, howcome it's so soft

• Hahaha lol your take was funny..😊

• Thank you, I'm glad I could educate as well as entertain all at the same time.

• That's so interesting I didn't know some people's hair naturally grow like that. Interesting style...

• i1127.photobucket.com/.../...f.com-gif-maker_1.gif My waifu GREAT TAKE and Oh I bet that it is annoying hearing that BS all of the time ^_^ i1127.photobucket.com/.../...f.com-add-text_15.gif

• Have you stuck things in your hair?/People sticking random objects in your hair thinking it's funny.
      Unless you want a well deserve ass whoopin' I'd advise you not to do this. HAHAHAHAHAHH

• 8. How do you get your hair to do that?
      Genetics home slice, genetics.

SOMEONE asked me that ton here about my 360 WAVES -_- like you gotta be fucking kidding me man LOLol

• ;A; Oh my 'lanta it is and it happens more often than people think. I get comments every time I'm around my friends or family members.

What Girls Said 37

• There's one chick at my school who has a natural afro, she (somehow) chucked it in a bun one day and instantly a mutual friend has come up, grabbed it and asked how she liked her muffin touched. He's just weird like that. She just laughed and answered him (I'm assuming) truthfully. He's good friends with everyone though and I know if she asked him to he wouldn't do that.

I've never realised people were as rude as this about them though, I love afros. Would never have one because I know for a fact it won't work on me. But I love them, why would someone wish it away

It's really weird seeing that chick with her hair straightened though. She's only done it once at a friends request (they wanted to know what it would look like) nobody has asked her to again, and she is not willing to again.

• Are there actually stupid ass bitches that say this?

• Yup, there are and it happens more often than someone would think. .-.

• Yes, there are people out there like that. They randomly grope my hair and make faces like I'm a pet and not a human being. A lady in the grocery store told me my hair disgusts her and I should relax it, she had her daughter with her (who also has a curly fro) and she was scolding her daughter for wearing her hair like that (in its natural, God given state!) And not relaxing it.

• A lady told you that your hair disgusts you? Randomly? What is wrong with people there?

• I was already aware of all these things, I just wanted to drop by and say that I think afros are gorgeous :)

• This is sad to know some of these things because I am fascinated by natural afro-hair. I am envious of how it can take the shape of any style, especially ones like this:
    www.short-haircut.com/.../short-black-hair.jpg
    I guess to ask questions and want to touch it, at least in my case is because it's out of envy and love for that kind of hair. I don't know many black people, and those who I do I haven't actually *touched* their hair, and a couple of times was invited to touch it. If a black woman is going to snap my head off then, okeeeee then, I will leave her be. :)

• Things are fine and good if you're a close friend or are invited to do it. I'm talking about those who are strangers or acquaintances' that do it.

• No, I tend to see it as being viewed as if though I were a unicorn or some kind of petting zoo animal. It's just hair so I don't see why people have the need to touch. o:

• It's not just hair...
      Hair is beautiful.
      Aside from our skin tone and our eye color its the one thing that sets us apart from each other...

And in the coolest way possible.
      Different colors [natural or not] different textures [natural or not]. Hair is like tattoos. Its so amazing.

But i also went to beauty school so im weird. I love touching peoples hair. I never felt ethnic hair tho

I do understand not wanting heads touched tho. Its some human evolutionary trait that you dont like strangers touching your head.

But if i can go around caressing all heads and not be weird or get yelled at. I would

• This was really interesting, thanks for sharing. I would feel so violated if some random person tried touching my hair. Like, hello, personal space. Lol And telling you your hair is nappy? Smh... some people are just so rude.

• Yup, apparently curly hair/afro = nappy to most people.

• Yeah, but it seems to me like a lot parents are doing a really crappy job of raising their kids these days, judging by my own generation. It's sad.

• I couldn't agree more with that statement.

• Excellent Take! I just asked a question about this. It's hard being black with a lot of hair. People always assume it's fake!

• I know. It's like, why can't people understand that black women can grow hair too like everyone else if it's maintained well?

• Yeah! People can be ignorant sometimes.

• Hehe I loved this :3 I have never met an afro person before but I'd love to! And I think afro hair is really cool :) but I gotta admit, I always thought about touching it :p

• #1 #2 #3 #6 #8

Makes me want to punch someone in the throat

• Fro on, sister

• There's a funny buzzfeed video about this same thing. www.buzzfeed.com/.../things-girls-with-natural-hair-are-tired-of-hearing

• Right I hate it especially these:

You have got to do something with that (I really hate this one)
    You should put this product in it
    I know someone who has (insert hair texture)
    You should try this style
    I couldn't wear my hair natural (Good for you but you would wear a weave/wig with natural texture, Girl Bye!)

• haha yes I had all of this questions asked, except (and thanks God) 7 and 3!
    about good hair- the most annoying. especially when you have glorious fro and girls who say this to you are wearing weaves, because under that they're nearly bald after all the chemicals :/ i wish they embrace the nature, not the stupid fake stereotypes!

• I had an afro as a young child but my hair is fine bonky curly now lol. Yes that would be annoying with those comments!.

• I never touch anyone let alone their hair. Asians don't like touching other people. It's not part of their culture.

• I can't pull off my natural hair or get the afro look... I mean I can by when it dries but it looks nothing like that more like super short, wavy, and thick so I straighten it.

People ask to touch my hair all the time it doesn't really bother me. A lot ask if it's real it doesn't really bother me either because it is though it's still stereotyping or making false assumptions.

Lastly the perm one really annoys me. You must have gotten a perm your hair is so soft and smooth. Why won't you get one it's the only way.

But anyways good take I know exactly what you mean.

• This was fantastic.

• SOMEONE FINALLY MAKE A TAKE ABOUT THIS! :D

1. At least the asked. I've had people putting their hands into my hair, looking for tracks -_-. I appreciate when they ask even though that shizz gets annoying.

2. I get this EVERYDAY. If not, every week. IIt's as if they feel the need to educate me on whats good for my hair.

3. People think they're funny. It's a pain in the ass taking things out.

4. Who cares?

5. Ok.

6...

7. Never been told this.

8. Lol..

• Black and been natural my whole life. I get tired of people asking me am I mixed. It don't help that im bright. My hair is naturally curly and when I straighten it, it's touches my booty.

• Finally!!! Everything listed here has been said and/or done to me way too many times. No one understands natural hair and it's beauty. Thank you so much 👏👏👏

• Yester, my lover's sister in law pulled a lock of my hair and told me, "wow, it's so long, and really curly. You should brush your hair more"... I was so embarrassed. I was so embarrassed. They are Vietnamese and Mexican, so I don't think they thought anything of it, but dang. >.>

• How could they not have thought anything when it came to pulling someone's hair? O_ o

• More from Girls
    17