I am a non-stereotypical Asian American?

I consider myself to be among the most atypical Asian Americans of all time. I compared myself to most Asian Americans and here is what I noticed:

1. Grades. Asian Americans tend to have higher GPAs than most of the kids, like around 3.9-4.0. My GPA was only a 3.76 in high school and a 3.32 in college.

2. Love of school. Most Asian American haves a love of school and education. Me, I HATED school. I could not stand the bullying and the racist attitudes of the students. And it was also the teachers and professors that would pick on me for missing problems of what they deemed to be easy. I only graduated university out of necessity rather than enjoying the learning experience.

3. Music. Most Asian Americans listen to pop music, alternative/indie rock, or even hip hop and R&B. I love heavy metal. Some of my favorite artists include Black Sabbath, Soulfly, Children of Bodom, Death Angel, Iced Earth, Sabaton, etc. And I also love electro industrial bands like Skinny Puppy, Combichrist, Hocico, Suicide Commando, Front Line Assembly, etc.

4. Confirming. Most Asian Americans tend to be conformist. I have a bit of a rebellious, angry streak in me and I dress like a goth at times. I hate the mainstream so much that I feel more comfort in the non-conformist things.

5. Height. Most Asian American men tend to be shorter. I stand 6'2" tall and when I'm around other Asian Americans, I am usually the tallest.

6. Romantic preference. Most Asian American men prefer Asian women. I prefer Caucasian women. Partly because I find them physically attractive, but also due to my ever-rising obsession with European culture (I attempted to learn the German language in college).

What do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, you are Non-stereotypical. And that's good. I HATE people who let stereotypes define them. More power to you, brother!

• I've tried to offer some common sense solutions to his dating life, but he is just not comprehending it. But then I realized that he suffers from aspergers, which is an inability to understand social behavior and an inability to communicate. Now much of this is due to cultural differences and an inability to understand western women and western customs. He may also be able to speak English, but doesn't understand tone and nuance. This would explain his rudeness and inability to try new things. There is a certain rigidity and close-mindedness in following his rules.

What Girls Said 6

• My best friend is literally the female version of you. She goes for the whitest guy there is. She's not as tall as white girls but she's okay for an Asian. She's also really bad in school. She loves house music and has no idea how to follow directions. Her mother always tells her that she's half naked. I call it hot. I think it's cute that you want to blend. And trust me, Asians come in fun size everywhere and I approve that you're trying to go big ;)

• I would have to disagree with you. Here's a female version of me. Standing at 6'2" and like to dress in gothic and metal attire. She would dislike house music, and prefer heavy metal or gothic techno. She would have an interest in Saints Row, Max Payne, Quentin Tarantino, and Robert Rodriguez. And her personality would be a quiet, serious, introverted loner. I did not do badly in school, I just simply hated the education system because of the bullying. And I am not trying to big, I'm just being myself, but did notice that I was way different from the other Asian Americans.

• you sound like an Asian hater. way to go!
    your gpa is higher than mine. congrats on being more Asian.

• I never said that I was an Asian hater. However, I believe I am not like most of the Asian Americans, due to my darker, gothic, metalhead nature and the fact that I don't relate to most of them.

• So... What's the question? I know plenty of non stereotypical Asian guys and they're all rednecks.

• Yeah, but with me, I am pretty much the only Asian face at heavy metal concerts and gothic nightclubs, lol.

• So what, though?

• People make annoying comments about me, given that not too many Asians are into metal and goth.

• This is an old topic but I must answer.

It seems like you don't like being Asian. Your pointing out what makes you non stereotypical. I'm Asian. I have really good grades. It's not because I'm smarter. I try harder and have more motivation because my parents brought me up that way. We Asians are working for a good future. I hate school. I actually have only met 1/7 Asians that like school. 6/7 hate school. When it comes to music, I like rap. And when it comes to preferences in race, why should it matter?

I think a lot of Asians are non stereotypical. It just seems like you don't want to be Asian.

• Actually, it's pretty typical for Asians to like rap these days. But I can't stand it. I like heavy metal and electro-industrial music, but I'm the only Oriental face in the crowd, usually. But you are right in some sense, I mean, I feel as if Europeans and even Latin Americans have the best music.

• Not too many Americans are goth either by the way.

• And also, I am quite an anti-everything type of guy. I hate pop music, rap music, romance films, comedy films, and sports (except martial arts and boxing). I like Star Wars, DC Comics, Saints Row, Max Payne, heavy metal, gothic techno, and LEGO.

• Looked at your profile- you don't look Korean! Like not at all. But yeah stereotypes don't really define a race... although your occupation is IT... lol. I'm more of the stereotypical Asian. by the way- I'm Korean too and Asian American. But I don't like school either, and I like white guys as well. So basically what I'm trying to get at is that you're just you- unique as any other human being in this world.

• Well, actually that is not too uncommon. Most Asian women that I see prefer white men, as women of most races. It's just that whenever I go to heavy metal shows or gothic nightclubs, I'm usually the only Oriental face there.

• And not only that, I have a darker nature than most of the goody two-shoes Asian Americans that I've met. I am pretty much a rebel against the mainstream and so is my sister.

• That's awesome in my opinion! Lol. I'm more of the bubbly kind of person though.

What Guys Said 4

• Us Asians rock what the hell is your problem man. Good on being non stereotypical but why hate on your own kind

• Dude, you are definitely Asian stereotype look wise. Maybe not height, but if you were to be compared to some other Asian guys, you are only taller. What I'm saying is, nothing wrong with having a feminine facial feature, but you have to be attractive. a lot of Asian man facially are unattractive, who happen to have feminine facial feature. Trust me, I would know attractive face, and honestly man, your face is not that attractive, and it just happens that you are an Asian man.

• I am not. I am a rocker as I am into heavy metal, which is predominantly Caucasian and Hispanic. And I am also a goth, most Asian Americans aren't into goths. And I am interested in European culture and folklore, most Asians prefer their own.

• Yes, but the point is, I am not like most Asian Americans. I'm into stuff that is European influenced and therefore, doesn't have a lot people like me. Not to mention that I prefer white women instead of Asian women.

• Well, you've been bashing on the fact that "typical asian" men struggles. I'm confused and where you are going with your interests and how different you are.

• Do you actually have caucasian friends? Its one thing to say you have caucasian hobbies or white hobbies. But if you want to be white, then you will have more luck assimilating into white culture if you make some white friends. You just sound like someone who is confused about his identity and unable to make friends. Before trying to find a girlfriend, you may want to spend more time building a social circle of white friends.

• I have never met an Asian person who actually likes school. I think the stereotype is more that they're forced to sweat it by parents