Guys, Girls in Martial Arts-Yay or Nah?

Recently I got a black belt in the martial art I've been doing for 3 years, and I'm really dedicated to my training. Not only is it great exercise and self-defense, but it's also very spiritual and social.

It seems like I get two reactions from guys. Either they want to fight me, and keep teasing me about how I couldn't REALLY beat them up, OR I get the impression that they think I'm a freak... like a girl into martial arts can't also be girly and feminine.

Would you date a girl with a black belt? Would you be intimidated at all?

*For the record, I don't look like I'm very tough. I'm 5' and curvy.

Most Helpful Guy

• A blackbelt that only took 3 years is not as respectable as one that look like 9.

No disrespect intended, because it is a serious time commitment that requires serious passion, but in the end it's an artform more than anything else. I box, once a week because of serious other time commitments. Although it's not beautiful, I feel as though I have learned more from boxing than I ever have from years of karate. Getting hit, and actually hitting others as hard as you can is a totally different mentality, and leads to different body movements.

I would totally date a girl who is a blackbelt, but unless she lifted a serious amount of weight I would never take her seriously.

Size makes an absolutely enormous difference in any fight. And if we're talking about a brawl, the fight always ends up rollin on the ground in less than 15 seconds. So, unless your art is Aikido, JJ, BJJ, Judo, or even Sambo, it really makes no difference.

In summary, although I would not respect your capabilities to inflict harm on another, I would respect your time commitment and the skill you have developed as well as the inner calm you have derived from your artform. I would date a blackbelt.

• I do have to agree that to have a black belt in 3 years does not right. I have taken 7 years which means i have built up my discipline and focus and technique needed to become a black belt.

What Guys Said 6

• I don't see why people are debating how long it took you to get your black belt. If someone trains 4 times a week then 3 years is possible. Presumably you had to go to gradings and you won your fights to get the grade. Anyway your question was about whether guys see martial arts as a turn off. Personally I would be quite happy to go out with a girl who did martial arts even if she could beat me. I would probably feel less good about going out with a girl who was stronger than me. I would still like to be the one to lift the heavy suitcase, open the pickle jar, etc. Most girls I have met who do martial arts are a lot stronger than the average girl, but not as strong as me. All that fitness and muscle tone usually means they have a good figure which is a side benefit of martial arts.

• Personally I find it very attractive if a girl trains in martial arts, the dedication it takes shows a level of commitment and a good chance they're going to be healthy in mind and body. They can definitely be girly and feminine, I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and there are some very feminine women in the sport, check out Kyra Gracie or Michelle Nicolini, both world champion black belts and both very attractive and feminine.

• Yea, that's pretty awesome!

• I would date a girl that does martial arts because it would be something that I have in common and it would be interesting to hear about another martial arts style. I wouldn't be intimidated by it at all.

• Lol so you'd be able to kick my ass? Dang that's kinda hot haha :-)

• I think its cool that women know martial arts. I think women make better fighters.

What Girls Said 1

• I am pure feminine but I love martial arts like Kick Boxing, Muay Thai ( Thailand Boxing), and Tae kwan Do. I've been training Tae Kwan Do since I was a kid like year 8 and until I reached 19 years old. Anyways, my level belt is until red-blue only because I missed a lot of up grade level test but I do love to fight I mean training where 2 people train to fight and learn new techniques to avoid being hit. I am the only daughter in my family so sometimes I train with my elder brother who's also love martial arts and we both like to find new techniques of how to avoiding being hit. So my body quite fit and tough but looks very sexy. Its look same like the Street Fighter female staring body and yeah I do also look almost like her:-)