Why do people embrace casual fashion so much?

after hearing several American pop songs glorifying the ”t-shirt and jeans” look i started wondering. why did this ”american casual” fashion trend take off? why did the world embrace it? is denim really that good?

the way i see it is, when you're a baby, infant, toddler, child, etc. it's common to wear casual stuff for convenience. when you're elderly, same thing. so, in between those stages why not wear something, anything besides casual?

Most Helpful Guy

• I live in America and I have wondered this too. Also if the casual fashion is as extreme in other 1st world countries as in the U.S. I know in the 50's people dressed very well even to the grocery store and at school, very casual places nowadays. Somewhere between then and now something changed. My guess would be a combination of the sexual revolution and the faster pace of life with modern technology.

What Guys Said 10

• Casual is certainly nothing new. It's popular because it's comfortable and easy. I've been wearing jeans and t-shirts for the last 40 years or more. Or shorts and t-shirts in the summer. Jeans are the only kind of pants I own. If I can't wear jeans or shorts someplace, then I don't want to go to.

I think the whole fashion thing is silly. But I guess if people like it that's fine with me. It's just totally not my thing though.

Clothes serve two purposes: to keep me warm in the winter, and keep me from being arrested for public nudity in the summer.

• At home I love wearing a comfortable shirt and some comfortable pants (nota bene, that I don't wear jeans at all, I hate them, so uncomfortable).

Outside I'm always seen in either a suit with tie and pochette (my family has some British heritage from which I bear the colours) or in uniform when on duty.

• It's comfortable. Plus it's very easy to do work in. I don't know about those fashion jeans that are all ripped and what not. Those things are retarded.

• Some people are more comfortable dressed up than they are dressed down, and vice versa. Dressing up is fine, unless you're making up for something. Some people dress extravagantly to "express" themselves, aka to make themselves seem more interesting than they actually are.

• don't you think it depends on one's standards of what ”easy to wear” is? i find minidresses more comfortable and less constricting than pants.

• hahaha, you're strong willed, I'll give you that!

• of course ! :3 my ancient ancestors were pirates !

• idk, americans lack a sense of high culture and good fashion, everything we have is mass produced and really boring.

• I take offense to that as for jeans and T-shirts they are just good for work, relaxation they are a utility clothing which I find better then fashion and culture. Jeans can be fitted or have more room they are easy to fit weapons in and under allow for running easy leg movement and are good for work can and relaxation.

• I prefer baggy swaggy clothes that let the breeze come in. Jeans look dull n rough

• Well it's usually out of fashion isn't it. It's just "common".

• well i say lets get a new ”common”

• i want to see them wearing pretty outfits like miranda kerr wears.

• Well she must follow trends, so I guess we're in agreement :) yeah would love to see that. Preferably on women but if you can find one that fits then yeah whatever.

• Jeans suck compared to wool dress pants. The only good thing about casual is SHORTS.

• I'm glad you find it unappealing.

The world is becoming too standardized as it is.

• its practical

• The jeans I have served me well until I either outgrew them or lost them. other pants I've purchased look nice but just haven't lasted as long, they mysteriously become ripped, tears appear quickly, they even seem to get dirty easier. I only buy fancy slacks now for job interviews and if the place I work at is fortunate enough to have a casual dress code they never come out again.

As for t-shirts, I sweat a lot even with no physical exertion, but t-shirts always keep me cool, and if you're into fashion stuff they come in any color or design you can imagine :)

• you support your reasons well, my friend !
      do you think it's the same for women?

• she is a big Taylor Swift fan, I however, am not.

• i used to ride horses a lot when i was a kid and i see what you mean about that

What Girls Said 9

• It comfort. Easy to wear no fuss wear. You dont have iron it, just fold and store, you can dress it up or down

• That about says it all.

• i haven't worn pants for more than 8 years.
      i like dresses and skirts and they don't require any ironing. i just hang them up.

• That's fine; its just what you like, but with pants incorporated in your wardrobe you haveaa bigger selection to play with

• I'm not sure what you mean by "embrace." People do wear jeans and t shirts quite a bit, but mostly for convenience and comfort. But they're not really considered fashionable. Lots of accessories and multilayered outfits are the mark of a well dressed girl.

• it's like, so widespread and everyone's wearing that stuff

• Oh. Well people do wear them a lot, but not to be fashionable. When I wear them, it's usually just out of laziness. And I would never wear them for a night out or clubbing or anything like that.

• Easier to put on, but also might be a bit cheaper...I would LOVE to change my wardrobe to skirts and dressed, but it's just not in my budget

• people like convenience and jeans go well with a lot of things. i often wear mine with a dressy top and heels. in reality i like skirts more but then i got tired of people asking if i was going out on a date :p

• is this about taylor swift? :P

• It's easy and it's suitable "almost" everywhere

• comfortable, durable, inexpensive
    What is there not to love about that?

• I wear "whatever" because I choose to care about more important things in this lifetime.. ...Like the children/people in this country and other third world countries who don't have simple things like jeans and t-shirts... or food and water for that matter.
    It's really not that serious, but wear whatever you want but don't judge people because they dress casually?
    Fashion is beautiful and I'm not against it, but my goal is not to be fashionable.. My goal/mission is to help others... that is why I throw on "whatever" is available to me.

• who's judging? you're assuming.
      nice humanitarian appeal.

• i just feel like fashion is art and dressing in jeans and a t-shirt doesn't mean a person is more down to earth than anyone else. it seems like a lot of people think it has to do with being humble or something.

• I see what you mean.. I've known some pretty vain people who go for the "bum" look. I don't think fashion makes a person who they are, I'm just saying that even though "casual" might be what is "IN" for most people right now.. not ALL people who dress that way are trying to be "IN".. I'm being honest about the reasons why i dress super casual for the most part.. I prefer to put my money into other things. I do love art and fashion though and occasionally I like to treat myself to something fun and flirty! :D

• i almost always wear swim trunks, t-shirts and flip flops/deck shoes...theres no need for much more.
    i work on boats, spend almost all my spare time either at the beach or on the water and the only dressy things i really own are a few sun dresses :P