Rate Me Questions: Would you agree that MOST people 'read' them differently, depending on who is asking?

Why I'm asking this is because of 2 things.

1. Iv realised that people seem to respond more kindly to people they perceive to be average or below average looking, but when they come across such a question where the asker is above average, the responses suddenly become:

you're just looking for compliments, you already know what you are…

NOT BY EVERYONE. but AT LEAST one person answers something along those lines.

^^this is especially if the answerer is the same gender as the asker.

okkk that said.

2. for a number of months i myself have been curious of what people think but then i came across the observation (reason no.1 lol) so ever since iv just refrained from asking.

So has anybody else noticed this? and why do you think it happens?

• yeah iv noticed this as well on many occasions
  • no not really, its not as common as you make it sound

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's just that most people have a hard time believing that even more attractive people can have insecurities as well.

We can be our own harshest critics... in fact, I'd say that it's pretty common!

• Also, people tend to want to build up those that don't feel as great about themselves and in turn, if they feel someone gets enough compliments already, that sort of thing tends to get peoples eyes rolling lol... "as if they need anymore strokes to their ego," they feel.

• that first statement is ON POINT.
      very well put.

• Thanks! I know it's something I've always struggled with... self-image and everything...

What Guys Said 19

• 1. Just go on and ask what you want to - Sole purpose of GAG & us being here :)
    2. Judging is the common person's trait and let those who want to feel free to do so. You sure get good answers too in the bargain
    3. One thing I have been having second thoughts about is about rating people by a number. I though don't judge anyone for why they are asking. How does it matter to me if they are attention / compliment seekers or not & even if they are so what? it's cool :)

Vote 'A'

• OH I should also have mentioned when you ask a 'rate me' question I'd find it ABSOLUTELY CUTE & ADORABLE :D :D :D & that's my view there ha ha

• People who tell themselves they look okay find it frustrating to have people who from their perspective have it made in the looks department worrying about their looks.

In any case 'you're just looking for compliments you already know' is an answer and means 8+

I don't ask rate me questions because I'm worried people will say I look like an ugly geriatric. If you're worried people will be mean to you about being hot, maybe you really know the answer already.

• You don't look like an ugly geriatric.

• sweet as=] id love to take up boxing. if i got a punching bag lets say it would be the embodiment of approximately 37 people.
      i bet it must b satisfying. good for the sould=] keep it up!

• Ha, its funny, people always say that, like it must be cathartic to punch the bag, but for me that aspect isn't. But i'm trying to prepare to be in the ring with someone hitting me, so it's not like 'now i will let my anger out!'. its always about control, crispness etc. I would say its not so much that boxing gets stress out, as boxing is stressful in a somewhat exhilirating way that makes other stresses seem like less of a big deal.

If I suck in a presentation, its embarrassing, but its not embarrassing and a beat down which is what happens if i suck in boxing! Embarrassment seems kind of minor in that context :D

• I think it happens because people generally cannot believe that overly attractive people can suffer from esteem issues.

• I have noticed. I think its kind of funny. But no you are not alone.

• i find it quite fascinating as well lol

• I think that some people figure that the really good looking girls are just looking for compliments. I mean honestly people like to hear they look good. Its human nature.

• Yes I've learned that a lot of things in life come down to interpretation. I'm fairly memorable on gag so if I were to ask that type of question people would tear me apart methinks.

• yeh but thing is, ur a guy. for some reason people dont get as 'bitchy' about it when an attractive guy asks it. simply because guys dont get AS jealous, and girls definitely won't complain.
      ur also loved. u wouldn't get torn apart.

• Sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable. It wasn't my intention. Thank you.

• no not at all:) i know ur a man of good intentions, u dont need to clarify that.

• Those questions are annoying and should be thrown into a fire pit.

Yes, sometimes people are envious. Sometimes, people are not. It really doesn't matter what people online think...

• I think people feel more sympathetic to someone that is seen as not as good looking whereas they assume a attractive person is fishing for compliments since it is hard for them to see how some who is attractive would not think that they are.

• I think all of the Rate me Questions are Just Bannanaz!

• Sometimes people tell me I'm fishing for compliments or bragging but I'm just talking about myself. So I know exactly what you mean.

• I think you're one of the most attractive people on this site.

I think that if someone is less attractive or they are upset about their appearance than answers will be more comforting, but if someone is attractive then (asshole) users will say they are just looking for attention

• :| … NO idea what to say to that lol. other than u may need glasses, or… thank you?

yeh i agree ^^ iv noticed this as well

• Already got a down vote somehow

• If I'm not attracted to someone I just don't answer it

• oooo ok that is interesting

• Yeah I see no reason in hurting someones feelings unless they were doing something to provoke it. Like that one dude that posted and was attacking everyone who told him the truth.

For the most part if a girl posts and I don't like her, I just don't wanna hurt their feelings. But i do feel a bit of disgust at those that are obviously just lying to not be mean. I really dislike all the cliche answers like "you'll find someone that makes you happy and won't care about your looks!!"

• yeh that makes sense. if u dont have anything nice to say, dont say it- kinda thing.
      fair enough then=] Koldhearted lol:P

• I don't teally know but I'm sick of seeing them! :D

• I don't what anyone else rates them.

• i dont think these types of questions should be asked anyway

• From the looks of it a lot of people on here are insecure and antagonize

• Yeah it's basic psycology.. I however don't do this, I vote fairly, however I do have a different idea of what's attractive to most people so I end up voting low the ones that are typically attractive :P

• haha going anon with a response like that. well played sir:P

• I get so bored of that comment -.- I always answer everything anonymously

• aw I'm sorry to add to ur boredom=]

• You're pretty and have a nice booty. There...just proved you wrong ;)

• If that's you in your picture, I rate you as attractive even though your whole face isn't visible.

• oh thanks. hah i just changed it from one only of my face but thank u for ur opinion=]

• Also, I voted yes. I've definitely noticed it.

What Girls Said 7

• Yes, that is absolutely true.

I feel that people are nicer in their responses to average or below average people. People seem to be more rude to above average people probably because they don't understand why they are asking that type of question.

Let's face it, in most cases people KNOW if they are pretty looking or not. So it is true that some above average people ARE just attention seeking and looking for compliments. This reflects poorly on the above average people who are legitimately insecure or honestly just want to know how others perceive them.

• Yeah, I noticed this today when answering someone elses question and reading other comments.

And to be honest that really ticks me off just because someone is attractive doesn't mean that they don't have a right to know or know what others think of them. Everyone might not think that they are attractive.

Oh and what about people with low self-esteem? Do they not have a right to know what others think about them?

I find it really petty by how people think that not everyone has the right to ask a question or find some questions dumb.

• Personally can't stand those "rate me questions" also I think advice should be to non bias so putting your pic up is taking away neutral ground when people give advice about anything to a user with a profile pic. Like if your having bf trouble and someone pretty has a pic up on their profile people will be like, ah your so pretty he shouldn't treat you that way. And it's like, physical appearance has nothing to do with my question, I need advice! in my opinion

• I have. People need to learn to treat people equally in these question. You can't blame someone for being born physically attractive (above average), something they had no control over. you look, how you look period.

• i totally agree. its quite amazing, the factors which can change a persons response to the exact same question

• IMHO, I think the person who starts attacking the "above average" people who ask to be rated is just insecure and jealous at the fact that they asker is more attractive.

• I rarely see it. Are you specifically referring to
    the pretty girls getting challenged?

• Valid point.