Do you have any genius idea for Apartment Living?

I am moving to New York next month. I got myself a tiny place and started to wonder how am I gonna fit there?
I sold some of the furnitures, bir table and chairs.
I can't afford an Interior Design company or a designer. So it is just you and me.
How can I live a small apartment? Do you have any usefull tips for me?

Thank you GAGers. I really appreciate your advices. It means a lot to me. All the tips are very usefull. I feel much better now.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's all in the planning. You don't need a professional - just some paper, a pencil, and ideas.
    I used to really be into design - I've controlled my parents' house design for years now, and I liked setting myself challenges like working with a small area.
    -Get the measurements of your apartment, and set it down on paper. Draw a floor plan.
    -Make sure you take into account any windows/radiators etc. they really make a difference.
    -Try to visualize what the best use of your space would be - think about loft beds, extending tables, stacking chairs, layered cupboards, etc. Draw them into the plan.
    -Work to use as much wall area as possible. Corners are a gift for small spaces. You can do so much with a corner - Jigsaw desks, corner sofas... Use your imagination. Bear in mind, with small places, use as little furniture as possible. It clogs up the room.
    -Once you've got a plan, go to furniture shop with friendly, helpful staff and good (and free) design help. Ikea is amazing. The people who work there really help you find exactly what you need, and give helpful tips on design/installation. Plus, most of the furniture there is mix and match, so you can make it fit perfectly to you needs, as well as easy-setup, so you don't need professional help.
    -Get as much help as you can from the staff, until you find the perfect furniture.
    -Paint you walls light colours. It makes such a difference, making a room look bigger.
    -Mirrors also create an illusion of space. Go for large, simple and modern mirrors, ideally opposite a window.
    -If you can't afford a lot of new furniture, then once you've finished interrogating people at the furniture store, take careful note of what you need to buy and save up slowly over time, or use their suggestions to look at stuff online. You can get some great deals.
    -Avoid dark furniture. They look heavy. Sell or paint any existing furniture.
    These are just some suggestions. Good luck with fixing up your new apartment. It can be really fun.

What Guys Said 6

• I got a futon and live in a studio in NY. It's all about using what you got and minimizing your spending. Like I don't wear a lot of different clothes. I got the necessities. I skipped out on television and got only the internet. No landline phone, only cell phone. just remember, it's your place. You plan it how you want it.

• 3 key things, minimalism, diy & planning. Wall mount the TV/monitor if you can so you don't need a table. Use corners wisely don't leave wasted space. I always used folding tables instead of other things cause multipurpose and less space. Don't get oversized furniture either. Also think vertical when planning the layout as well. If you're thinking a small TV then go with a computer monitor instead and use it for both, better resolution generally.

• Get as many jobs as possible

• What about getting a sofa bed and instead of making it feel like an apartment make it feel like your own room where you come for relaxation.

• Its cheap to just buy a house if your in it for the long haul but since you live in new york buying a house in the city is impossible.

• What I done is I moved my bedroom I to my living room/ kitchen room and turned my bedroom Into like a walk in wardrobe / storage area. So one room is hang out room other room is my get ready for the day room

What Girls Said 4

• i plan how i want to lay out the room. color scheme and everything. then i go to ikea to get some furniture.
    since its an apartment, thats all you can change :/

• Well you can most definitely make your own things, D.I.Y your decor and stuff like that. As to furniture get multi-functional pieces that will serve more than one thing like a sofa/couch if you need one, a kitchen table that can also be a desk stuff like that.

• If the celings arn't short, you could have a loft bed, and have a nice cosy couch under it, or a desk under it. Stack dressers for extra clothes/stuff space. You could also stack some storage bins, the ones that pull out from the side, on top of eachother for even more storage.

• You'll fit. Try to make your apt feel like home. I have my apt and I didn't need a designer.