Do some people look better in person than in photographs?

I have heard that some people "don't photograph well". I'm talking about snapshots, not those taken by a professional with good lighting.

Over the years, I've had many people tell me in person that I'm a beautiful woman. Most often they say I am "striking", with dark hair and very fair skin. But when I look at a photo I wonder what they're talking about.

Recently someone told me my pictures don't do me justice, and someone else said I don't even look much like myself in photos.

Help! Do I have bone structure that doesn't work well with photography yet in real life I'm a knockout, or are the people in my life just trying to be nice? Give it to me straight, I can take it ;)

No, I'm not posting a picture here, sorry. I just want to know if it's possible to be a good looking person yet photographs don't reflect that.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes.
    Symmetrical faces tend to photograph best. As well as faces with a lot of angles. A balanced T zone makes for a good photogenic person.
    It's all about if you look good in 2D.

• I'm learning so much here! My nose is anglular, but the planes of my face and cheekbones are rather flat. Perhaps that is a factor. OK, time to blame my parents. Ha.

• Thanks for the vote. Yep, seems like you have the criteria.

What Guys Said 5

• I don't photograph well AT ALL. I'd say maybe 1-of-20 pics come out well. My face is angular and my nose is long and thin, and I don't think that translates well in 2-D.

• A lot of people feel the same way. And some people actually look better in photos than real life.

• Hell yeah, i never look good in photographs.

• yes. I'm at least a 9 in real life but about a 2 in photographs.

• A photograph varies drastically depending on lighting conditions as does a mirror. If the lighting is perfect then you'll look good in a photograph, some people with more rounded faces tend to always look better in photographs because the lighting doesn't highlight the contours negatively since there aren't any to begin with.

In person, there is no set lighting condition. it changes so people usually look better

What Girls Said 9

• Some people look better in person :)

• It's the type of camera and angle taken by that person. Most people are lousy at taking good pics.

• yeah its true...the way we appear in photographs don't really reflect our current body image

• Ah, yes. The body image factor. Gotta remember that. Yet, I do have rather angular features, so perhaps from a technical standpoint WhiteSteve is on to something. Thanks for answering :)

• I think people are more disappointed when they see me in real life, rather than in pictures, but may be my imagination. Some people are really photogenic and some look amazing in real life. Unfortunately, I don't think I fit into neither of those categories lol

• You look great in this photo. Perhaps we all need to be easier on ourselves.

• You're stunning.

• Wow haha, thank you, but I think the darker effect made me look better, not my face. But really, didn't expect this. Thanks :)

• I think that's the case with most people. I'm not photogenic, but people have told me I look better in real life...of course, I don't know if they're being honest or not. Lol.
    A camera only captures so much.

• yes you can.

• The trick is to take LOTS of them and then you get 1 or 2 that actually work.

• Yes usually it's true.

• It's weird because sometimes I take really good photos and sometimes not
    I get more compliments in person about my looks though