What do you think about skin lightening products?

As in creams etc for black and/or Asian women?

I think it's sad that the media portrays lighter skin as being the ideal, I think it's ridiculous that we've got to the point where people feel they want to change their skin colour.

Have you used any of these products? What do you think of them? :)

Most Helpful Girl

• i agree with your point of view baby...i have an olive indian skin tone and i NEVER make use of such type of products..i love my skin color since its a familial heritage..i find no particular reason to change it because i love my skin tone...its really sad when dark skinned people think about bleaching their skin without knowing the side effects of it..skin bleaching can cause vitiligo or skin cancer...i think that the media is wrong to portray fair skin as being the definition of beautiful skin color..this makes those women feel more insecure and make them want to have lighter skin..check this out
    http://youtu.be/SsULBY1kfOs

• That is scary to watch, and the ridiculous thing is that black women at least have different facial features than white women so it looks strange with white skin. The women in that video looks so much sexier and better looking with their natural colour, it suited them. The white looking skin looks very artificial and it's so sad that that will make them more beautiful :(

I'm glad you love your skin colour, please don't ever change it :) The media have no shame whatsoever. It's getting insane.

• don't worry i'll never change my skin tone:-)..thanks for MH

What Guys Said 6

• I think all skin colors are beautiful. People are naturally envious of others though.. We all want what other people have.

Do I wish I was naturally tan? Yes.. I can't handle the sun at all being so pale. I physically can't tan since my skin just peels after I get burned and end up pale again.. How do I solve that problem? Marry a woman who has darker skin and have sun resistant caramel colored babies together so they don't inherit my problem lol. I'm kidding.. sort of..

• Well Miss willow I do understand and on a lighter note you sure dont need it. LOL

• Oh shit. White skin is ideal now? No more going shirtless outside! I'm always behind on these crazZzy fads.

• You kids watching too much twilight.

• WTF! A white wants to be more white? How much white?

• Not me! haha, I mean for black and Asian women :)

• Xoxoxoxo :)
      My country girls top the charts when it comes to use of skin lightening products. They are earning so much money. LOL

• Where I live everyone's white and the make up industry is making a fortune out of brainwashing people into believing they're ugly without a tan. Seriously, all these girls ruining their skin with artificial tanning and looking ridiculously orange from tan sprays and whatever else they've been using. I'm all like: what's wrong with light, porcelain skin? I guess it's just the opposite in areas where most people are dark skinned. Healthy skin is beautiful, no matter the tone.

What Girls Said 12

• haaaaattteeee ittt!!! i hate it so much.

i think black women are some of the most beautiful women.
    i think brown women are absolutely gorgeous af.
    i think tanned women look like theyv been gently kissed by the sun
    fair women look graceful and light, angelic
    whiteee women look mysterious in a fascinatingly beautiful way.

every single skin colour is beautiful for its own reasons. this skin altering shit is just messed up.

• Same, I think it's awful that they even exist. I totally agree with you, every skin tone is beautiful in it's own way and we don't want to be a world full of white people O.o

• me too!
      exactly, how boring would that be?

• If white people are allowed to use fake tans, why aren't POC allowed to use skin lightening products? Smh.

• That's a good point actually! lol. I don't agree with fake tan either but I don't think it has the same ethical connotations attached to it. I think for a black person to feel like they will be more beautiful as an entirely different race is awful. We should embrace all races and not put one on a pedestal.

• Ya it's sad really. Ironically in white countries having a good tan is seen as ideal. I'm like a vampire, I burn in the sun and I'd kill for brownish skin (not literally).
    We tend to want things we can't have. During famine, big women are attractive, during wealth it's thin women. The whole manga/anime thing seems to be based on ideals that Asian people typically do not have like sharp faces and big eyes. So there are loads of girls getting surgery on to make their eyes look bigger. It'S ridiculous

• I think it's pointless and it doesn't make any sense to promote either tan skin or white skin. They are always trying to make women more insecure to sell even more of their stupid products.

• as long as it's not harmful on your health i don't see anything wrong with it. yes i have used it. i used whitening lotion that contains vit B3 and C. not all whitening products are harmful. i'm using now Vaseline Healthy White and it's mainly a sunblock with Vit B3 to help lighten skin. and it's not really changing my skin tone to the max lol. it would be like believing a shampoo tv commercial that you will have a nice silky straight hair if you use a certain shampoo haha! and i also have no desire to look like a caucasian women at all, i love my Asian beauty that if i'll go visit western countries especially in the US i will highlight my Asian features more. ;)

• It's great to hear a different point of view, I was hoping someone would! lol. It's really good you don't want to change anything about your race or anything and people should be allowed to use products if they want, it is their choice after all. Asian women are very beautiful so I'm glad you highlight your features ;)

• i love harold and kumar movies

• Yes I adore Asian beauty

• I dont like whitening products. In asia beauty stores like to promote it and thought all girls like to whiten their skin. When I told the sales staff I am not keen they looked surprised.
    I prefer my skin to be natural...if I am not pale so be it as long as I dont get too tanned I am fine

• Good for you :) You shouldn't have to do the same as other people to feel more attractive. Natural skin tones always look better :)

• Aw thank you :)

• Light skin IS portrayed as the ideal, which is unfortunate, but how is this any worse than white people fake tanning? Or than fat people using "skinny pills"?

It seems to me that people put more emphasis on judging those who use these products than the source of the issue itself.

• I agree with this.

• Yeah...india is a best example when people of all colors are available. India is one of the biggest market for lightening skin products. Hence darker indian girls develops inferiority complex when they see lighter indian women.
      Even men have started using lightening skin ( for men) products in india.
      Most darker indians are found in south of india and light skinned people are more towards north.
      In fact Bollywood is also racist where only light skinned indian girls are given chance. Hence many girls spend handsome amount of money on bleaching and all to look more beautiful.

• that's sad but true bro

• They make money off insecure women.
    No. Japan and Philippines are big users of whitening creams and pills.

• no i haven't, and i think that the people the use them, have identity issue

• nup I like my sunkissed skintone :O

• I only use it on under my eyes haha I sometimes have dark patches under my eyes :P but I won't use it for whole face or body

• People can do whatever they want but dark skin is just as beautiful as light skin and they should realize that.