I want to look stylish and feminine, but people who don't know me think I'm a bimbo? Confidence issues.

I like to look nice when I'm going outside (I don't dress up all the time), I like doing my nails, using some make up and dressing nicely, sometimes with a pair of heels, or sneakers, ...

Lately I'm starting to notice people who don't know me think I'm stupid. One of my friends told me that he thought I was this silly girly girl with a pink jacket (I do have a hot pink blazer), but has this totally different idea about me now that he knows me. I know most of my friends now thought of me like that. When they met me I was a girly girl (still am), but now they know there's more to me than shopping and a pink blazer.

I'm a very insecure person so I try to camouflage that with trying to look nice and working on my looks. Mostly when I tell people that I'm a bachelor in law and a master in criminology, they're kind of "shocked".

So how can I still look nice without looking like I'm just a "beauty girl"?
Also, if you have had any confidence issues, how did you get over them?

Most Helpful Guy

• If that is how you like to dress then dress that way. No matter what you wear people are always going to have preconceived notions of each other.

What Guys Said 3

• Maybe you use too much makeup, or make your colors "clash" too much.

When i hear "bimbo", i think overuse or improper use of makeup. :)

• I use a bit foundation and concealer so my skin looks even, a bit of blush for a glow, mascara and some eyeshadow. My eyeshadow is mostly hidden as well cuz of my bangs.

• Haha, true! It's just sad that people still think in stereotypes.

• Yeah I know...I'm always stereotyped in subtle ways everyday.

• The bimbo look is all in the makeup. Use less makeup.

• You really shouldn't care about what a stranger thinks of you.

• True, but that's kinda hard when some of them treat me like I'm as smart as a toddler... It's also hard to hear that one of my friends (probably more) thought I was just some silly girl with a pink blazer...

• You're right, thanks a lot!

• No problem. :)

What Girls Said 3

• Hahahaha bimbo, it's been long time I heard this word.. Maybe put out that pinky chlothes and try to wear still nice but less girly, pinky, barbie stuffs. And I still have low confidence so I can't help you much with that but I also like wearing nice chlothes, heels etc but I have just one thing that is pink and girly. All other stuffs I own are black shirts, ocean blue dresses, jeans (lots of jeans).. Try smth like that and people will consider you as matture girl/woman..

• If I wear something pink, it's only one thing, like a soft pink shirt, or a hot pink blazer. I don't have pink shoes (thank god, that would make it even worse, haha). I thought I looked nice, but apparently I look pretty dumb.

• Neither do I to be honest. Thanks for your replies and support :)

• Any time :)

• Nothing wrong with trying to look nice! Some people just like to dress up, it's fun and if it makes you feel good that's fine. I think it's ok for girls to wear pink and other "girly" stuff too. Just know that you're ok as who you are and you don't have to try to be different just to alter people's opinion. Just remember, you're a pretty girl with a good sense of style, and you're smart enough to get a master's, you really have nothing to be insecure about!

• Thanks for your comment and the peptalk! I just think it's sad that, because I like to dress nice and a bit girly, people think I'm not that bright.

• Also I would disagree with the other commenter a little bit- I don't think you have to necessarily wear black or darker colors if you don't want to. They just don't look good on some people and so I don't think that would make people take you more seriously in the long run.

• Thanks, again ^^ Ah, guess I'll just have to look around and see how I can work on confidence issues and not let other people's opinion bother me.

• There's nothing wrong with looking nice! I love to dress nicely and wear makeup to school. I had been afraid o express myself through my clothing as well, but I got past that and have tons of fun dressing up and expressing myself through my clothing choices! It only matters if you enjoy your style, nevermind what other people say! Wearing pink doesn't make you look stupid or dumb! If you want to wear pink, maybe neutralize it with other clothing items that are black, white, or grey! This way to pink will pop without looking vibrant and childish.

• Thank you for your comment! If I wear pink, it's only one item in my entire outfit, like a shirt or a blazer. I know I shouldn't care what others think, but that's hard when someone you just met treats you like you're stupid.

• I'm sorry that's happened to you! I know it's hard, but just try to ignore them! I'm sure you've got great stle and they're probably just jealous :)

• Thanks, I'll try to ignore them or, when my confidence improves, give them a witty remark back ^^