For girls : please help me out here and share your thoughts on scruffy guys?

I'm 17 at the moment and I'm not exactly popular. Basically I'm the heavy metal guy in my school and I'm pretty much the only one. However, many people have said I'm very good looking. I never really believed it at first but I've heard it plenty of times now so I don't think I can deny it anymore. I do a lot of sports, especially running and swimming, so I'm very lean but muscular, not super bulky though. I've got a sort of grungy, beach bum, metal head look and I'm also very shy, which I know isn't ideal for girls. However, my friends have said to me, " you're good looking but you need to clean up and maybe you should listen to different music." And " you need to not wear black and stuff and you need to shave your goatee. You look scary." It's been hard to hear, I'll be honest. I don't want to change how I am though, because I feel really comfortable with myself as I am. It seems that girls don't think of my look or anything else is very attractive. So I've started to think that maybe looks don't get you far now unless you dress "well" and you're into the right music, movies, tv shows, etc. I know I've gone on a bit, so sorry :p but do you girls find scruffy guys, or the guy I've sort of described to you here, attractive? I'm worried because although I like how I am, I still don't want to come across as scary :/

Id really appreciate any help here!

Many thanks,

Alex

• Scruffy yes
  • Scruffy no
Thanks for taking the time to tell me how you guys feel about what I've said. I needed to know because there is a girl who I really like and I'm kind of a dark horse I guess and she's a pretty sport popular girl, so it's kinda put me in a tough spot.

Most Helpful Girl

• You dont sound scary you actually sound cute. there's nothing wrong with different or not what everyone expects if thats who u r and dont chase after this girl if she wants to change you. As dr suess says "be who u are and say what u feel because those who matter dont mind and those who mind dont matter" and thats really true dont change for anyone just be who and if this girl likes u for u then thats great but if not then its her loss. she should take u as u r or watch u as u go. i hope this helped u a bit and if not sorry :) im 16 by the way

What Girls Said 9

• Don't listen to them. To be honest, you sound like a pretty awesome guy! I find scruffiness on a guy to be very adorable and masculine. And definitely don't pretend to be interested in things that you aren't because that's SUPER lame and you're not going to build genuine relationships and friendships that way. I can relate because I also have very alternative music taste and it can be tough finding people that have the same interest, but trust me they exist. Basically, just wait it out and you'll find someone. You sound like a total catch so don't sweat it.

• Be yourself!!! Its really hard to pretending to be someone else. You will someone who appreciates you for you

• Alex , you sound awesome. Keep doing you. And the girl who likes you for you will see you and see perfection. :)

• You sound plenty attractive. I love scruffiness & I too like music others dislike and love black but I'll never change to please someone else you shouldn't either. Just be you, rock on!

• you sound pretty attractive to me too but i don't think you should change your music taste because in my opinion music defines a person you should find a girl with the same taste in music. I personally would get rid of the goatie but everything else sounds pretty nice to me.

• Maybe this is kinda crazy to say but you sound sexy lol! 😆

• I will only give a second look to someone I KNOW is being themselves and my BS detector is pretty spot on.. So if you're a "scruffy dude" who listens to unusual music.. OWN THAT SHT. Be who you are <3 <3 ... the right female will notice and will appreciate your individuality. Never conform to fit in with the majority.. be who you are... all day..

• im girl and i listen rock .. and to tell you.. i really like guys who look like you do.. you are special , you have your style and you shouldn't change it at all.. my sister only like guys with long hair and all black stuff too.. soo dont worry , you are attractive no matter what style you have :)

What Guys Said 1

• Be who you are. Don't change for anyone but yourself. If you are comfortable in your own skin that's what is important. Maybe not in your circle of friends. But there are women who like that look.