Anyone else have the problem of having too thick a neck and too broad a shoulders for shirts? How deal with it or (for the love of God) solve it?

I going into a workplace where I should be dressing shirt and tie etc but I always have the same problem with shirts. Non fitted shirts fall like a tent all over. Fitted shirts i'm bursting out at the neck with horizontal stretch lines tight across the shoulder line front and back... the chest is usually alrightish in that it doesn't crease up but if i up the neck size the already tent like shirt below the chest becomes as ridiculous as a non fitted shirt.

I seem to be left with the option to either look like i'm wearing a sail or trying out a lycra suit whilst being strangled

Most Helpful Girl

• Go to a tailor and get custom made shirts. It'll be pricey but it's better than not fitting.

What Girls Said 5

• You should buy your neck size, that would fit your shoulders and then have it fixed for your body size.

• Well it obviously doesn't that's why I'm having the problem.

• The only way is to have your shirt fixed by a Taylor. Nobody makes shirts with that kind of problem. Or I mean for weight lifters. Or athletic people.

• Are you a body builder or something? Get custom shirts or try out different fits of shirts I know some places make "husky" and "slim"

• My brother was the same way had to get them altered or custom made. The later was pricey.

• I have pretty much the same problem, sans the neck. I don't even have a large chest, but swimming is a bitch and has blessed me with man shoulders that force me to size up for most shirts, making them fit the rest of my torso like you said, like a tent. I would tell you to stick to sleeveless dresses w/ jackets for the workplace, but that would be a bit inappropriate

• I've had that problem with girl's shirts but all I have to do is get a guys shirt. And that works for me. But not sure how/what might fix your problem. How long would you have to be dressed up for?

• Should have made it clearer, i've never had to work in a workplace where shirt/ tie is needed but it's going to be 5 days a week now. I've skirted this problems for years but it hasn't really mattered whether i look very smart wearing a shirt before i've always made do for the odd occasion

• I would go get custom shirts made

What Guys Said 1

• No. I don't have the 'my shoulders are too awesome' problem :p

In any case I get all my shirts made to measure. Not locally. Either use internet or travelling Hong Kong tailors.

• It's great until you realise that no shirts or even Tshirts are designed for you -even normal short sleeves tend to hang sideways instead of going down my arm it's very odd and certainly doesn't look good.

Tailored shirts are probably going to be beyond my budget at the moment i think

• You can get custom shirts for maybe $70?