Are these bikinis okay for kids?

31.media.tumblr.com/.../...neSP9r1sqksc7o1_400.jpg

Bear in mind she's 13, and at a forum I frequent no one commented on it. I'm not sure if I'm old fashioned / out of touch, or this is what is acceptable for children these days. This thing is basically a thong...

• Yes
  • No
  • Hell no, not my daughter.

Most Helpful Guy

• I look at it, and I see something that's not appropriate for her age.

I understand being comfortable with your body, and I agree that's an important thing to teach your child, but I don't think that THIS is the way you do that. Not at the young age of 13.

Kids are just becoming way too sexualized at too young an age, in my opinion, and this is just one way (even if it is small) to perpetuate the furtherance of that.

What Girls Said 18

• I don't think there is anything wrong with what Willow is wearing. If you noticed, her bikini top is like a sports bra and her bottom looks like a regular bikini cut to me. It seems inappropriate because Willow has a muscular and shapely butt. If flatter-ass girl wore the same bikini no one would say anything because the cut would be less noticeable and it wouldn't look sexy.
    Similarly, if a girl is 5'2 and the other 5'8, and they are both wearing the exact same pair of shorts, in the exact same size - who do you think is going to get more attention? Obviously the taller girl because she has leaner proportions in ratio to her height, thus she will look more sexy in comparison to the shorter girl.

• i would not let my daughter wear this type of bikini... but you know celebs are good to get media's attention.. even if they turn into whores at such early stages

• I read you won't even pay attention to what the under 18 populations says, but i'm just gonna express my opinion anyway. I've seen kids on the beach wearing things like that. There are girls in my town younger than me that dress oh my god, you would never know they're 14-15. And they basically go to the beach like this: salestores.com/stores/images/images_747/A279B.jpg
    Hell, I don't even wear them, I feel weird and especially if it happens for me to go with my parents at the beach. Buy her a bikini with normal shape undies, not thongs.

• I'm sure you hear it often, but you favor Selena Gomez. :O That's insane.. I wouldn't be surprised that in 100 years from now there will be 13 year olds nude on the beach. There is no line being drawn, and at some point some clothing becomes tad bit too scantly clad for children.

• I didn't mean to imply that you did. I was just speaking in general. :) Haha, I got it from my own two marbles. :P

• Lol I don't favor her. Just because I am 17 doesn't mean I favor her haha. I favor Eminem, Adam Lambert,30 Seconds to Mars, Michael Buble, Ed Sheeran and many others haha.
      Used to favor Miley (aka Hannah Montana) a lot though in 7th grade haha.

• Is that will smith and well his daughter? She is tall and doesn't look like 13 at all, buy ya I think it's too much. A little more fabric would be good

• No... but they're celebrities... they're, by definition, kind of retarded...

• Maybe it might be innapropriate for a 13 year old girl to wear this but.. C'mon, it's the 21st century.. People are so used to seeing girls wearing bikin's like this that it comes to a point that its just acceptable.. I guess we gotta live with it in this generation /:

• I def. wouldn't let my 13 yo daughter wear a bikini like that.

• no and in my opinion it's also not okay for adults :)

• There's absolutely nothing wrong with what she's wearing. What's wrong is people trying to shame her for being comfortable about her body. If she's at a beach and it's hot, why shouldn't she be allowed to wear that? Because you're afraid boys are going to objectify her? That's not a problem with her, then. Because you think it's slutty? She's not forcing you to look at her and she's also just there with her dad, her family. She's comfortable with who she is and she's beautiful. That should be celebrated, not looked down upon. Maybe if people would stop making things like this such a big deal little girls would stop growing up being so self conscious about their bodies.

• Hey, no need to straw man logical fallacy me. I said none of anything of what you're talking about. I see where you may have gotten the impression that I was criticizing the Smith family, perhaps I could have been more clear. My concern is not with them, if they're fine with it, that's cool. To reinstate my question/concern: Is this age appropriate attire in regards to today's social norm?

• You may not realize it, but your opinion will MORE than likely change when you become an adult. Hence, the reason I did not even bother to address anyone under 18 here. The only reason I addressed you was due to the overwhelming number of false assertions you made on my standpoint.

• And I apologize for that, however I think my point is still valid if the 'you' is taken to be directed towards you personally but rather to the group of people that would be against what she is wearing and she is held just as an example case. It's not my opinion because I'm under 18, but it's my opinion because of the kind of household I was raised in. It's a similar belief to that of my parents. While I myself did not choose to wear a bikini at that age because I was more comfortable being more covered up, my parents did not discourage me from wearing a bikini and rose me to try and encourage me to be comfortable in my own skin. As someone who is under 18 I can offer a more current perspective, including the perspective of my parents, and I think it's rather rude of you to completely ignore that just because I am not yet eighteen. I'm not ten, I'm old enough to have the capacity to form opinions that matter just as much as someone who has crossed that arbitrary threshold.

• Personally find it to be normal, that's how some bathing suits are designed if you don't want your daughter to wear that, let her find a cute tankini.

• Its not a big deal. yeah its tiny but you want to tan or whatever. I wear small tight bottoms to surf so they won't fall off but I guess your fine if your being just being a bit over protective about it.

• That guy can't possibly be 13, why is she kissing him? Where are her parents? She is turning full whore..

• LOOOOL! That's Will Smith kissing his daughter - Willon Smith, silly :p

• Haha okay I didn't even see that, then it's okay:P
      But still Willow needs to chill.

• I don't agree with kids wearing bikinis in the first place

• I agree!! Barely anyone feels that way. They're bras and panties that are made with nylon and lycra spandex rather than cotton - which by the way isn't for making it less provocative, but for practical reasons (Dries fast, elasticity, maintains shape).

• No. My daughter will never wear such a bikini that doesn't cover enough. And that guy looks old.

• No way josé

• I think they can wear some revealing things, but don't reveal too much. You have to remember it was really bad to even wear a skirt that went to your knees and things evolved. If you let your daughter go out looking like what people back in the day would have called slit (not trying to be ride) but if we keep saying yes too all of this then think of 10 year olds wearing tennager clothing nowdays and then tennagers will be wearing more revealing things. Things are evolving too much. Girls are doing things and showing things at a younger age and somewhere in there we let them think its okay?

• I completely agree. I remember watching a movie where they poked fun at social norms in the 1940s. It was a school dance, and girls were doing "the twist" with guys on the dance floor. The adults were like "That whore!" lmao. Anyway. I just ask, when do we draw the line? Or in 100 years are we going to have nude beaches for 13 year olds, and people will argue "People shouldn't be ashamed of their bodies, it's natural. You're just thinking pervy!"? So yeah, I def agree with your last sentences too.

• In my opinion we could use the self control, clothes and rules of the 40s-60s back then women looked good but also respectful you just don't see that now a days.

• Phoenix: Although it's just my personal preference, and others can do what they wish, I couldn't agree more. Sorry, but I'll take the Audrey Hepburn with class over an Audrey Hepburn in the grocery store wearing yoga pants.

www.doctormacro.com/.../...0at%20Tiffany's)_21.jpg

<3

• She's prolly on daddy's private beach so no.. its no big deal... if not then she has body guards to protect her from pervs! Celebs live a different life than us at least she's not holding a crack pipe. I think nudity or barley covering up is fine but there are creeps out there.. unfortunatly we don't live in the garden of eden... well rich people can!

• To answer the question I reluctantly wouldn't let my daughter wear that just as I reluctantly put clothes on every morning.. my dream is to live on a farm by the beach in a tropical country and to farm all day nude. I am not a millionaire so I make my own version of that in suburbia... yes my neighbors have probally seen me nude and I don't care..

• Inappropriate, in my opinion.
    I'm not sure why people allow their children to dress in such revealing clothes... my brother and his wife actually FORCE my 13 year old niece to wear things that are way too old for her.
    It's disturbing and she always changes when we hang out.

• Is this common? I don't go to beaches much, my beach body is put on hold haha. But wowww, that is crazy. I can't imagine how that plays out without it seeming like the Talladega Nights dinner scene (Will's kids talking to their grandpa). Lucky she's got a good head on her shoulders.

• Woww, short shorts and knee high boots. That's too grown/sexy.

thatgrapejuice.net/.../...-ariana-grande-cover.jpg

Basically sounds like the same thing. Good job on being a good auntie, Sparrow. :)

• Thank you, I'm trying!

What Guys Said 7

• He'll no it's appropriate I just be old fashioned and living like it's 1940-1960 but I think it's not appropriate.

• Definitely a no-no if I ever have a 13 year old daughter. Yup... call me old fashioned.

• Eh, that's a bit too much ass for a 13 year old to be showing.

• Are they... kissing on the mouth?

What the hell?

Also, she doesn't look 13. I don't get this at all.

• That's his daughter.

• While it's pretty much just a difference in culture, that makes the limit of what counts as "romantic kisses" extended only to making out and above, and I don't know if that's a good thing or not. Sometimes it's just not the right time to tongue each other, so it's nice to attribute the romantic affection to mouth pecks as well.

• I wouldn't go so far as to say they are practically a Thong! They are a little skimpy, but on a beach where one of the main activities is sunbathing I think she would blend in. Fashion is forced on to people in all sorts of ways, for both sexes and at all sorts of ages. So little wonder this 13 year old isn't wearing 'what was once the norm' for 13 year olds. 'Somebody' creates a trend and, like sheep ww follow it for fear of standing out from the 'trend'. Silly really isn't it? Be we have been/are all guilty of it on one way or another, at somepoint in life.

• My point was they're closer to sexy lingerie than an actual bathingsuit.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/mTbTiS62Kzg/hqdefault.jpg

You're exactly right, though. As I figured, I'm more than likely just an old man now who's "out of touch." Although, a stubborn one who still thinks its too much. :D

• Thats a cracking picture of that young lady by the door! I bet seeing her makes you feel younger? Point taken though. There's boundaries that are now crossed, that once were not! Let's hope it stops there!

• yes.. why not. its pretty.
    if anybody getting a hard on and jerking off watching a 13 year old in that bikini must be listed as a pedophile

• Would never let my 13 year old daughter wear that sort of thing