How long does an ear cartilage piercing hurt?

I have heard that it hurts for almost a year, but that doesn't sound right.

Most Helpful Girl

• I got my cartilage done on both ears (I thought it would feel weird with only one ear done, because I had four in each to begin with) and it only really hurt for a week or two. After that, it only hurt when my hair got caught on it or something hit it. I was told to leave the original jewelry in for at least two months, but I'm a risk taker and changed them a whole week early. So much risk. Anyways, I've had them for about half a year, but they don't hurt at all anymore, even if I pull on them.

What Guys Said 1

• If it's done RIGHT (with a surgical or hypodermic needle, not a cattle-tagger) it should only mildly hurt in the first place, and then only for a week or two.

What Girls Said 1

• Nope that sounds about right! Cartilage takes a while to heal. Generally a year. I had two in my left ear for 10 months and the healing time was such a pain in the butt that I just went to the doctors office and had them removed. Now it's a weight off my shoulders. I don't have to worry about my hair getting caught in it, sleeping on it, hitting git with a hair brush, hitting it with a comb, etc.

• So you wouldn't recommend it? I've been wanting to get mine pierced but the healing time definitely sounds like a pain

• If you don't mind h=the long healing process, then get it. I does look cute!