Do you think it would be fine or maybe awkward to tell a girl....

there's a girl I sit with every class, we talk, she seems pretty comfortable around me, I haven't made a point of asking her out yet, but do you think it would be fine to just tell her she looks nice today or that her dress is nice or something like that, since it's not like we're really close yet or anything. girls, if someone compliments you like that do you really not care who it is or where do you cross the line?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes yes yes. Girls love a nice compliment. Especially something detail oriented. Like if I wear my hair in a ponytail everyday and then you saw me with it down and say "wow I love your hair that way" we love it. Also if you do like this chick and she does speak to you in class, then you should take the innitiative. Next time you talk to her get into a conversation about the movies you wanna see that are coming out. If you both wanna see something then say something like "Hey yeah I wanna see that too. You wanna try to catch it this weekend?" If you think that that's moving a bit quick, then ask her for her phone number and suggest getting together with some friends and catching a movie. That way its a group thing and there's no pressure. But I will tell you this: I am usually pretty aggressive and have no problem asking a guy out or for his number but It is really annoying when I have a cool connection with someone and the guy obviously likes me but won't make a move.

What Girls Said 2

• You'd be surprised how far a compliment can go. Definitely compliment her but don't do it everyday, multiple times a day, or to a whole bunch of girls because then you'll sound like a player.

In this situation definitely compliment her. And don't say "you look nice", Something like "that dress looks really nice on you" or compliment her on something physical like her eyes/lips (if you're so bold)/hair.

• Us gals absolutely love to hear that we are beautiful. As long as you're not vulgar about it, there's no wrong way to pay a compliment to a pretty girl.

What Guys Said 2

• I like to give compliments at girls I know and occasionally even cute female strangers. Often, they can make a woman feel special, but I've found you really have to be careful. When issued a compliment in this paranoid society, such as "Your hair looks lovely like that." or "That's a cute outfit on you.", a few women will react as though they are suddenly trying very hard to ignore you, or like you'd said something absolutely revolting. I never understood that.

My suggestion is that you try *one* that's quite generic and easy to backpedal out of if you need to.

ie You: That new jacket looks good on you.

If she responds with "Hey, thanks." or something positive, you're girl's cool with you.

If you get a silent response, or a pointed "What?" then you can always say something like your cousin has one in a different colour so it caught your attention. You can work your way out of it gracefully.

When you're genuine and she's not trying to read something else into your comment, giving out such compliments can be a real reward in itself. (I'm now in my 30s and I have many great and close female friends. Not many guys can honestly say that.)

Greg

• As long as YOU don't care about giving the compliment, then it won't be awkward. Just have something else to say or relate to it afterward and the conversation keeps going, and there's no awkward silence.