Why would they tell a natural redhead they would look good with light brown or dark brown hair?

I have naturally red hair, well more like a faded strawberry blonde color now that I'm older. I used to dye it a darker natural-looking red, but got sick of dying it.
Today two of my female coworkers at dinner were talking about hair dye. They both have naturally dark, blackish hair. One dyes it like a cherry black, which looks nice. And the other was planning to do the same or similar. They asked me if I dye my hair and I said no, I got sick of doing it, used to do it a dark red. And then one says, Oh, you can do any colour. Like a light brown... or a dark brown. And they both agreed.

Does that mean my current colour looks bad? Only 2% of the population have naturally red hair. I love red hair (except when it verges on the side of orangey). Why the heck would I go from natural strawberry blonde to the common, brown (no offense, to the brunettes)? That's like having naturally green (rare colour) eyes and wearing brown contacts.

Now that I typed it all out, I think when she said I could do any other colour, she meant cause I wouldn't need to strip the colour first or anything... But still go from red to brown?

Most Helpful Guy

• I feel all they meant was, if you did decide to dye it, any shade of brown would suit you. As would shades of blond. Which it probably would as redheads tend to have paler skin. and would suit any colour. In reality it was a compliment.

Personally. Keep the red. Women with red hair are really sexy.

What Guys Said 4

• My favorite color is strawberry blonde. I go for it big time. Those girls were probably jealous of your natural color.

• Redheads are awesome, please do not dye it.

• It sounds like jealously because for me red heads are hot.

• Apparently reds actually turn brunette. They don't stay red forever. Might as well change it now

What Girls Said 2

• I have naturally brown hair and loathe it. (Well, my shade at least. But I'm still not gaga for it, anyway.) I've been dying my hair red since March or April at the least and would love it if it was naturally this color instead. I (obviously) think red is a wonderful/beautiful color.
    They might've said it because they think the shades of brown would suit you well (skin color, looks, etc.), not so much that they think you should dye it. Or it could be as you said (easy transition). Never know. But if you like your hair as it is, keep it. As you say, it's a unique. Plus, it's your hair, not theirs. :)

• To be honest, I like natural red hair and I wish to have it!! It may turn brown as you get older. The guys in my class mostly like red or blond hair :) red is beautiful <3