Is a nose piercing unprofessional?

So about three months ago I graduated from college for my two year Journalism diploma, majoring in print and online journalism. Right after graduating I moved into an apartment with a good friend of mine and my two cats and went from a part time to a full time job (not in my graduating field).

My current job is low key as a receiver for an expensive interior furnishing and decorating store in the downtown core of my city. As I'm doing this I'm also moonlighting as an assistant graphic designer for Vandala Magazine, an online music publication so I can gain experience in my field (I've been freelancing for them for about 6 months now).

My plan is to save up some money from my current job and start applying for jobs in my field again in 4 months or so.

The thing is. I have wanted a change up from my usual style and recently got my hair cut from long to short, and dyed it a lighter blonde.

I now want a small crystal nose stud but I'm scared that if I have a stud I won't be considered for graphic design related jobs. Are small nose studs unprofessional for journalism related jobs? If I dressed professional but has a nose stud would employers still think me unsuitable?

P. S. I have no intention of going into broadcast just to be clear. There is no way I'm sitting in front of a camera!

Most Helpful Guy

• Even if there's a difference of opinion when it comes to answering your question (and I know without looking that there will be) why take the chance? Regardless of the fact you won't ever be on camera, yes, many employers would see a nose piercing as unprofessional. And you obviously want to put your best foot forward when you're trying to get a job. I doubt that it would be an issue if you wanted to work in a tattoo parlor or a sex shop, but if you're in journalism I'd pass on the nose piercing.

What Guys Said 5

• When in doubt, err on the side of a more conservative look. I'd forgo the nose piercing.

If you end up working for a company, and you notice others with non-traditional piercings, and you still are interested in getting one, then maybe it would be ok. But while you're looking for a job, you should not have a nose piercing.

If you notice others with it at work, but are uncertain you will stay there for a while, I'd hold off on getting one as well.

• I am a manager, and the stud is fine. Indian women wear them routinely. Please forgo actual rings, but the studs are fine. Come to think of it, one of my employees has a stud so go for it.

There is usually more leeway in creative fields anyhow, and graphics design seems like one of those.

• It is very unprofessional. Some people might not care, but enough will, that it isn't worth the risk. When thinking about business, think super conservative. You should be all business from head to toe.

• I gues it depends on who you work for. If you were to be a teacher at school, then the nose piercing would be a no no. If you dressed in nice clothing, like u guy would when he was in a tux, I would think the nose piercing would be a no no also.

• Yes it is, particularly for your chosen career.

What Girls Said 1

• You should talk to people in your field to get a better and more reliable answer.

Obviously I could tell you that some bosses won't hire you, and some don't mind, but it also depends on your field. Graphic design and journalism are behind the scene jobs so it might not be as big of an issue as it would be with broadcast.

Would you be able to take the stud out for job interviews?