How stupid do guys think when girls buy $300 purses, etc. Does it make you think differently of the girl?

Do you assume she's high maintenance or stuck up?

Would it bother you or no?

Just curious if I'm judged for splurging on handbags.

Ones like this, etc. Nothing super flashy but with a designer label. In case that makes a difference.

www.marcjacobs.com/.../too-hot-to-handle-laetitia-hobo

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 27

• it would bother me a bit that someone would spend that much on a bag that they will probably only use for a short period of time. but ultimately that is their decision and their money. In all honesty I probably wouldn't date someone who placed that much value on a material good (unless they were silly rich and it could be a frivolous purchase)

• I think that's a waste of money. This thing certainly shouldn't cost more than a lenient maximum of 120$.
    Although I tend to buy a bunch of small things and it adds up if I don't pay attention, which is why Steam game bundles are really notorious to me. Still, 300$ for a purse is extreme in my opinion, and I'd be cautious. It depends on her income though, and the price's rate to her income. If you earn 800$ a month, then 300$ on a clothing accessory is extremely overkill. If you earn 1500$ a month, then you may as well because you can still easily save up. It's all relative.

• It makes me think that some girls must be crazy. And I don't even understand how such basic and sometimes bad-looking things can be so expensive. Please, use the money for something nice and beneficial instead.

• Hey, I know people with purses that are 3x that (ex. Louis Vuitton), it's no big. If you can afford it, you can have it. Your not stuck up. My mom owns some very high end purses, and she's one of the most down to earth people I know.

• I'd think superficial, high maintenance, stuck up, and this girl's gonna cost me a lot. Why does she need to spend that much on a purse? It's a purse. It holds stuff. You don't need to spend that much money on something that holds stuff when you can buy something that does the same function but for a fraction of the price. Apparently she needs the creme de la creme and if this is how she feels about purses, how does she feel about everything else? She's gonna drain my bank account dry.

• Why do you assume she wouldn't pay for things herself?

• Because I'm under the impression that those sorts of women want the guy to take care of them in all possible manners, which means buying her ridiculously expensive crap. Otherwise he's not really a man, doesn't care about her, etc.

• Lots of generalizations here. But okay I respect your opinion.

• $300 is nothing for a purse. HA. Do you have any idea what a Chanel or Bottega Vaneta bag costs. If a girl was waiving a $300 bag in my face like she was hot shit, I would think she was a trashy girl. Now, all things considered, we might be on different financial levels, but a mid sized chanel bag is about $3k-$4k, if she was waiving it in my face like ooo look at me, I'd realize she has no idea what real money is, she is extremely superficial, a cunt, a bitch, and someone I want nothing to do with.

• Hahaha holy shit calm down. No one is bragging here. I'm fully aware how much a purse can cost. My dream purse is a birkin. But unless I'm BeyoncĂ© rich I wouldn't invest that much money.

• Wow. That escalated quickly.

• I'm a fashion addict dude I could fucking school you on labels and whatnot. But the thing is I'm a full time student still not exactly about to buy Chanel. Even if I was going to buy a Very expensive purse I would go for YSL. Not Chanel. Chanel is overdone and there are too many knockoffs.

• As long as she's not spending my money, more power to her, lol.

• Haha fair enough.

• I'm not gonna lie; I've spent a ton of money on things that I'm sure some women would see as stupid, so what right do I have to criticize her purse purchases?

If she makes enough money to support herself, then she's totally free to splurge on whatever she wants. I'm not going to think, "Wow, she's a crazy bitch for spending that kind of money on a purse." I've dated enough women to know that it's a big deal to some of them. Hell, I've even been the boyfriend that helps her decide if it will match that "super cute" dress she bought two weeks ago. I usually fail at that part, but I do try, lol.

• Aw haha. I like your thinking. I'm my opinion men and women both waste money. Just on different things.

• I think it just means she really cares about what and who she wears, if she can afford it and isn't going broke just to wear a marc jacobs or coach bag then more power to her. (:

• It really depends on the girl. If she shoves it down your throat, like "omg this purse cost $300" then yeah that isn't really attractive and that would bother me. But if she bought it because she really liked it, and it was a splurge and not like a regular spending thing, then its not a problem! I mean, whats the difference between buying a $300 purse and a $300 Xbox?

• I think it's a waste of money, but as long as she's taking care of herself, there are worse things to waste money on.

It would really depend on whether or not she "needs" it.

• Depends on the purse.

• Depends how much use she's going to get out of it, the more 'classic' a bag it is the more sense it makes. Logos offend me, quality workmanship pleases me. I've dropped 300 on a -used- purse for my wife before.

• I like higher quality with small logos. If I spend more money on a purse it lasts 10x longer. I also buy lesser known labels. I'm not purchasing just for the name. Craftsmanship impresses me too.

• I find handbags as one of the most useless girly item to spend money on; I think in terms of how it makes you feel, it is equivalent to a guy's neck tie. I have a lot of ties but the expense is a fraction of what expensive handbags cost.

• doesn't bother me im currently shopping aroud for pool shafts that are upwards of 300$ so I mean we all have things we like and are willing to spend money on. It only becomes a problem if this is a frequent thing.

• It depends on how much money she have available, if she have little money, start saving and buys an expensive purse I'd think she was pretty stuck up, otherwise no, she buys what she likes.

• I wouldn't worry about it too much. Everybody has their own economic priorities. If he's sexist, then a guy would think you were fundamentally incapable of recognizing real value anyway... so... yeah, just save money for gasoline.

• If a girl has money then why not. From a relationship point of view, she can spend as long as i can give, or if she chooses to work, as long as she can make.

• I'd never date a girl like that. Many old friends were into high end fashion, I was at one point.

Usually entails:
    -Insecurity
    -Elitism
    -Pretentiousness
    -Materialistic

• And hopefully Bender pawned that diamond earring.

• Lmao, I know right? That guy is probably in the same grade dealing with the same principal clutching onto that thing.

• Yeah, honestly I know I'm blanketing lots of folks, but there are exceptions. There's high end stuff that just looks damn good, so you buy it.

• Well its not stupid but being extravigant like that just to impress others is really unattractive! and sticks out like a sore thumb!

• Who says it's impressing other people? Some times it's okay to just buy nice things for yourself, no?

• $300 on a purse. Depends on her income and how many she buys/owns.

• Not really. I've bought few expensive things too.

• As long as she doesn't criticize my purchases and she doesn't use my money I wouldn't care

• Don't really judge them much, just scared of what dating someone like that might be like. :s

• Women who have one or two it's no problem my backpack originally cost 300 so I can't judge. quality is quality. But if you've got like 10+ I start to wonder why you honestly need that many bags and if I'd trust your spending habits. I'd never say anything though because it's your money and you can spend it how you want but I'd definitely keep the whole separate bank accounts in mind if I were dating you.

• Things I buy/pay for that cost $300 or more:

Bills
    Car
    Handgun
    Compound Bow
    Tuition
    Dog

I guess if you've got it, flaunt it, but if you buy a purse with money that should have been used to do something more useful then it's a problem.

• I really don't see the point in a girl spending that much money on a purse! o_0 But hey if they want it and can afford it I ain't gonna stop them. It's their life

• Yeah. If I went on a date with a woman and she was wearing anything that cost 300 I would assume she's high maintenance. I also would assume she tries to impress others. So in the future she would want to try and keep up with the Jones' s.

• It would be a huge turnoff, because it's materialistic.

• Well what's the point in having money if you aren't going to spend it?

• Just my opinion, but it's more practical to save for things that are actually important, like a house, or college money for a kid, or something.

What Girls Said 9

• Most guys know girls are going to have designer purses. They assume they're either high maintenance or super girly. My mom likes to buy me expensive purses too b/c she likes the brand. I like that they last a long time and that they come with warranties and stuff. But I'm very frugal. I don't waste money on getting a new bag every year like she does b/c all I need is one or two purses. Doesn't matter if the color matches or not, I'm just going to sling it on my shoulder and drop it off on the shelf anyway when I get back from grocery shopping. I have a small purse and a big purse depending on what all I need to carry with me. I also have a fanny pack and I don't care if it makes me look like an old Korean lady who just came back from power walking. It was cheap, it's sturdy, it carries my lip gloss, wallet, and food and it gives my shoulders a break. Plus it gives me back support lol. But yeah, I have designer purses but I rarely use the big purses anyway. I just need a little pouch and I'm good.

• Refreshing to see a girl with common sense. Glad all of us aren't blind consumerism sheep.

• I think it depends on the volume of such purchases. My aunt has dropped $1000-2000 on 2-3 bags. My sister has paid $1500 for a bag. It's not a weekly occurrence of course- and usually it's bought as a sort of reward/celebratory self-gift.

• what kind not car do they drivE do they own a house? Have kids? I'm going to guess joy unless they gold diggers

• GURL, it's Marc Jacobs. I'm drooling right now.
    Haha, in all seriousness though, I have spent ~ $250 on a purse. It's not a regular thing, I try to set a limit of $300-$400, just once a year or so. And sometimes, I buy it for my mum - that way I can borrow it too.

• I love purses too and I would gladly spend 300 dollars on one, I don't really consider myself high maitenence I am actually a very simple girl but we all have to have our vices right? lol. 300 is not so bad compared to over 1000 dollars for other brands. I would love to drop that much on a purse but I know I never could.

• For the record I have never spent that much on a purse before because I had a husband that would freak out if I did. And I also have kids so there's that lol. The most I have spent on one is 160

• That's still quite a bit of money in my opinion. I splurge on purses but I use them until they are almost falling apart haha

• Girls will spend all their money on a handbag and have no money to put in their purse. Like, that's just ignorance. Id never spend even 60$ because I don't carry purses and I don't I understand the concept around spending that much but to each their own. Id rather save my money.

• Depends on the girl really. Sometimes it could be gifts or she worked hard to get it.

• I think the girls is stupid, wasteful, pretty clueless, rich and entitled...

• Anyone that spends that much on a purse that's designed to hold money, which their broke ass probably spent it all on the purse... is a dumb materialistic self absorbed bitch and it's best to stay far away from that type of girl. Especially if you have money, because their like leeches. All they see is nice purses, name brand clothes, fake hair and nails, their entire lives revolve around their next purchase. I'm not a guy, I'm a girl and this is my honest opinon. I've known many girls like this and they all are the same. My advice to guys is to find a girl that has similar interest like video games, fishing etc. Not the type that wants to spend all your money in returnn for their love. #facts

• i would spend 300 only if i think its worth it or if i have the extra money witch i don't lol

• Personally, I wouldn't wanna spens $300 on one handbag alone - I would wanna buy lots of things with that amount of money like cosmetics, clothes, etc...