Can I take in my dress on my own?

So I lost about 20lbs during the summer (yay me) but my favorite dress doesn't fit any more. Yay, not so much. I don't have a sewing machine but I have a steady sewing hand. How can I take it in by myself or should I save money for a tailor?

It's a designer dress so... I would really like not to have to throw it out.

Most Helpful Girl

• I didn't have a sewing machine for the longest time and had only hand sewn, so if you are confident in your abilities then go for it, though of course it may take a while. Also, it's typically easier to take in from the side seams. However if there are layers or it looks as though the top can be separated from the bottom then I'd recommend taking it to a professional.

What Guys Said 1

• Grats on the 20lb progress! You should probably try tailoring them yourself. You get practice and, really, how much money would you actually get back for them?

What Girls Said 1

• if the dress has lining and stuff then carry it by someone who knows what they're doing otherwise a couple of well placed darts will work