What is degrading to women?

In the media there are a lot of things that could be considered degrading to women. Anything even PG rated or higher could have things in it which are perhaps misogynist. Ladies what in your opinion is and is not degrading to the female gender?

Do you find it degrading if the media shows a scantly clad woman even if she has an important part to play? I might if I was in your shoes.

Most Helpful Girl

• i think it is really degrading in movies (and I know this happens in real life, though I have never witnessed it) when a guy sees a girl and assumes he can bang her if he wants, or when guys bet to see how far they can get the girl to go with them that night. Basically just assuming girls will do whatever a guy wants them to, especially if the guy is cocky.

• Also guys who "congratulate" other guys for scoring a really hot girl. it kind of makes it seem like the girls who aren't considered hot aren't worth anything.

and if the woman has a reason to be dressed scantly, like if is relevant to her role then it isn't degrading. but if they dress her like that just because then it's kind of unnecessary.

• Thanks for best answer :]

• You earned it

What Girls Said 2

• most anything that lowers us in society

like if a guy is talking to some people

and he spots a woman walking

he might say "look at that bitch over there. . .*insert disrespectful comments here*"

or calling us hoes and stuff.

another example would be watching a movie with a pretty, young girl with big boobs just dancing around, not really having any lines.

the director could have given that role to another woman with actual lines and real character

instead of just having multiple women in skimpy clothing not serving a purpose.

back in the day was really degrading women.

we were so devalued that we couldn't get an education, vote, hold a job in a high position.

no, we were only there to bare children.

but anyway, the list could go on. . .

• It's not that much media, but I think it's degrading when someone expects that women stay at home and serve their husband. When a guy says that his wife is to have the house clean and dinner cooked when he walks in the door. Women can go out and have job and still take care of the house. I myself would never be with a man that expects me to wait on him hand and foot. I find that degrading. Or when someone says that a woman can't have the same job as a man. Like the crap they teach in the home econoics book. When someone says that this is what a woman is supposed to do. Why is it never said that a man should treat his wife like this?

Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal, on time. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal are part of the warm welcome needed.

Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so that you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your makeup, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people. Be a little gay and a little more interesting. His boring day may need a lift.

Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the home just before your husband arrives, gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper, etc. Then run a dust cloth over the tables. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift, too.

Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair, and if necessary change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part.

Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer, dishwasher, or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet. Be happy to see him. Greet him with a warm smile and be glad he is home.

Some don'ts: Don't greet him with problems or complaints. Don't complain if he is late for dinner. Count this as minor compared with what he might have gone through that day. Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or suggest he lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soft, soothing and pleasant voice. Allow him to relax and unwind.

Listen to him. You may have a dozen things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first.

Make the evening his. Never complain if he does not take you out to dinner or to other places of entertainment. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure, his need to be home and relax.

The Goal: Try to make your home a place of peace and order where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.

• Well, I am but a youth and am unaware of the things said in home economics in previous decades. You must have studied hard to still remember those things. Anyway, you would not say that the media is indicating to men that they can treat women without respect?

• Thats a bit extreme, according to that the only job a woman has is to make her husband a happy person, like he is a god. but my home ec book didn't say anything like that at all

• I vote this for the best answer... ;p

What Guys Said 1

• I'm not a lady, but just to be the good ol' philosophical me... And maybe just to stir up some discussion in this place (it's always nice to have a good conversation, isn't it?):

IS there anything that's OBJECTIVELY degrading to women?

Isn't it all about intent? Doesn't the relationship itself provide the context for whether it is degrading or not?

I, personally think it is.

Oral sex, for example, can be considered degrading.

But what is degrading about a woman giving oral sex to a partner, unforced, of her own free will and volition, with the intention of pleasuring him, seeing that he does the same for her, in a context of love and respect?

I don't think there is anything degrading about that. What I'd find more important about the whole ordeal of "degrading" things is therefore the relationship's context in which the acts take place.

Still, I might've gotten it all wrong XD, so I welcome anyone to discuss or comment on this opinion...

Have a great day, everyone! ^^

• I wouldn't consider oral degrading

depending on the circumstances of course

and yeah your right about the content part