Have you had your hair permanently straightened? If so, would you think twice about doing it again?

I'm thinking about getting my hair chemically straightened. I know it damages hair pretty bad, but I figure I'm already damaging it just as bad by doing something to it EVERYDAY. If you've had this done, do you recommend it or would you warn me to reconsider?

Most Helpful Girl

• I respect everyone's decisions, even the ones that don't make sense. May I ask why you felt the need to use anon about a hair question?

Everything damages hair to some degree: Perms, keratin treatments, relaxers, curling irons, flat irons, all kinds of permanent color, blow dryers. The hair industry is BUILT on all these things that damage hair. Does anyone say anything? Not really. Because humans are vain. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but too much vanity is never good.

The point I am trying to make to you is that your hair isn't made of steel and you've only got one life, so do what you want. If you have an interest in keeping the hair that you have there are all kinds of hair treatments on the market designed to make you hair look like it isn't damaged.

When you say "do something" to your har, what do you mean? Do you flat iron or curl you hair everyday? If this is a practice of yours, you most definitely should not pursue chemicals.

No I've never had it done, I'm actually considering getting my hair thermally straightened. I have friends and family who use relaxers and get them professionally done by very competent stylists. Some love it, some felt that it wasn't for them. It al depends on you.

If you do decide to do it, ask around for a good stylist. Research different types of straighteners. Inform yourself.

Hope I helped you some how even though my hair isn't chemically straightened.

What Guys Said 2

• My sister was going to do it a while ago, but then she found out that the treatment they use contains sixty times the tolerable levels of formaldehyde for the human body. She gave it a miss.

• Thats a thing? So permanently is just the exposed hair at the time I assume?

What Girls Said 2

• I know a lot of people say don't do it, it can ruin your hair, but honestly, everything we do to our hair damages it. I started getting my hair chemically straightened for when I was 14, just as I was getting ready to go into high school. I welcomed it! I didn't hate my natural hair, but it wasn't curly and nice. It was more bushy, big, and wild.

I only get one every couple of months instead of the recommended every six weeks, and my hair is still thick as ever. It rarely breaks off or comes out, save for the dead hairs we always lose. I think it depends on your type of hair how the relaxer will turn out. Mine turned out fine, and my hair is still looking good lol.

If you do get it, make sure you really take care of your hair. Don't use a lot of heat, oil your scalp, keep your ends trimmed, etc. I also recommend using some type of hair lotion or spray to keep it moisturized so your hair doesn't dry out and begin breaking off.

Good luck!

• Don't don't don't. I had a chemical straightener and it ruined my hair. I started loosing a ton of hair it was breaking off and it burned my scalp. It took 3 years to grow out now I have gone natural with some help from girls on YouTube also google. Now I rock my curly hair and I love it. It looks a lot better and I feel like it's helped me like myself more