Wearing a tie to class (college/university): acceptable?

I like ties and I wear them occasionally. I'm not asking if it is normal attire as I know that it is not, but is it acceptable. I mean, if you saw a guy in class wearing a tie would you think he was a complete weirdo because this is the impression I get from a quick google search. Further explanation and honesty is appreciated. Thanks

• Ties: acceptable, bow ties: no
  • Ties and bow ties are acceptable
  • Weird

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 6

• Depends on the guys personality.

People dressed up all the time in my school - usually sports players before a game. It was to teach them professionalism or something like that. Basically, an excuse for them to get all fancied up and come to school looking good lol.

Sometimes I wear a skirt suit to school, but the work I do requires it, so I don't want to run home to change. I get more compliments wearing dress up attire. So do my guy friends when they wear ties and what not.

One of them did get away with a bow - tie, but he looks like James Bond and is really popular so...

• I have lots of friend in university that always wear ties. two of my friends even wear them to parties. they just like to dress fancy its there style. and everyone always comments on the way they dress but not in a bad way. it looks good!

• I think it depends on how you wear them. There are some ways that I've seen guys wear bow ties that make them look super casual :) I'm sure if you just google it you can find ideas on how to them a little less formal and a little more acceptable

• I would assume he was wearing it for a presentation or job interview. I would like it since most guys just wear jeans and t-shirts.

• ties are hot. bow-ties are cool (HAHAHAHAHA sorry i'm a Doctor Who fan)

they look professional.

• i would just think he has a presentation in another class that day or an interview or something

What Guys Said 3

• Used to wear Italian hand made suits to class. It's actually quite nice and comfortable. So no problem there.

• There was a guy at my school who always wore suits (not good ones) every day. Everyone thought that was pretty weird.

• It's weird, even my weird friend who always dresses smart and loves ties never wears one to uni cause it would be too weird