Why do people call me gay for wearing V-necks?

I am a metrosexual male. I spend quite a bit of time grooming myself and I like to wear V-necks. I like the look and feel of a V-neck shirt.

I am not gay. I recently was in a relationship with a gorgeous woman whom I loved very much. Unfortunately, the relationship fell through, and I am single again.

So, why do people say that I am gay for wearing a certain shirt? It makes no sense.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because metrosexuals often share the same fashion statement as a homosexual male; namely, sharp outfits and a generally more kept up appearance compared to that of an everyday heterosexual male.

Also, people are quick to judge. Just ignore those types of people and continue living and dressing the way you want to.

P. S. I am sorry that your relationship fell through. I'm sure you'll find another girl :D

What Girls Said 10

• ugh dw bout them-.-

people seem to quickly assume that a man who actually gives a damn about his appearance is gay. i happen to think v necks are pretty sexy. dont let what they think phase u anyway

• People now in days are quick to judge. They see what's on the surface instead of actually getting to know the person. Many men out their don't worry about there appearance so when you see a man who does it's easy to assume they are gay because gay men are very well groomed and care about how others perceive them. Don't worry about it. You keep doing you!

• Thank you for your kind words :-) I don't worry too much about how people perceive my looks, I just like to keep myself groomed because I absolutely cannot stand being unkempt! Haha! It just amazes me that people would be so quick to judge my sexuality because of a shirt!

• That's great. It really does suck that people are so quick to judge others off of something as simple as a shirt style they prefer wearing. As for the kind words, you asked something and I simply gave my honest opinion.

• Because they mean it looks lame and womanly... and I agree. I think the deep v-necks that men wear nowadays are revolting. But then again, I'm not attracted in the slightest to metro sexual males because they look gay to me, I'm not attracted to gay men, or anyone who spends a vast amount of time grooming themselves.

• but that said it seems there are plenty of women who are attracted to it, so you just continue to be yourself.

• Trust me... out here in the Bay Area... it's quite normal to see numerous "bro's" wearing V-necks. This is a straight guy's paradise for multiple reasons.

• Faux Bro's :)

I'm just not attracted to posers... But there's plenty who are sadly!

• Hmm... I never got that either, i think v-necks are quite hot - just as long as the v isn't so deep that I can basically see your nipples :p My advice - it's your style so whole gives a damn what they say...

• Because some people are stupid, judgmental, & quite frankly, care way to much about fashion. If you want to wear a v-neck, you wear it brother, lol.

• V-necks are a stereotypical staple in homosexual male fashion. Just do you and ignore the asshats that judge your sexuality based on a damn shirt style.

• There trippin to call you gay thats an unfair judgement and you shouldn't take it maybe there telling you that because they might be gay and i actully like v necks they look good on many people!!! Those people just haters let them hate and you do u experice yourself

• Haha, people talk shit, right or wrong... Wear what you like :)

• I guess because people think v-necks show too much chest. I love them on guys. Keep rocking them! ;)

• vnecks are hot on girls and guys lol just ignore them haters and rock your vnecks!

What Guys Said 5

• If it makes you feel better I'm wearing a V-neck right now. They look good IMO, especially on skinnier guys. I like to look coordinated too. It makes me feel better about myself. Just dress how you like. Some people will judge your style no matter what you wear. I have the same problems sometimes. I just think to myself that they are jealous; I mean why would they go out of their way to make fun of you? It's ridiculous. They're jealous they can't walk into a room looking like a million bucks.

• Metrosexuals often have a similar sense of fashion to that of gays. So often at times, many metrosexuals get confused for gays.

• V necks are more feminine than crews. Plain and simple. The edginess of the shirt makes the chest revealing and that's a feature geared towards the ladies. If a guy is in shape and cut he shouldn't need a v-neck to show it off. It's obvious under the crew

• Just ignore the ones who bother you. They are ignorant

• I'm a bit of a metrosexual kind of guy too and i wear v neck shirts also.

My dad thinks I'm gay lmfao hahaha

• I wear them too and am not gay. It's just an association they make and are taught.