Do you think plus sized models should be shown more?

I'm tired of seeing the skinny anorexic looking women on magazine covers or all over the web. They should be showing real bodies, like plus sized models. Also, no photoshop allowed. My sister is going to be in grade ten this year, and I'd rather her role models be us big beautiful women instead. Us real women.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes because we are used to seeing what is advertised. Just because the bigger women is always seen unhealthy doesn't always mean they are. They're just very "big boned" and different shapes and sizes of women.

What Guys Said 10

• well not just plus sized but i think they should just show natural girls in general and i agree no photoshopping or air brushing.

• Skinny women are real women. Who died and made you the authority on which women are real?

• Skinny women are real and beautiful, but give her a break. Bigger women have been seen as less valuable for years. Times are changing thankfully

• It's like a cycle. Make people feel bad for not being smaller/stronger, people buy products to be smaller/stronger, and on and on

• I don't disagree and I don't agree. There is no "real" woman or women in my perspective.

• Plus-sized models are shown with plus-sized garments. If the company producing the clothes made them with skinny women in mind, then it is their choice to show skinny women. On another note, the majority is of the opinion that skinny is better. Therefore, it only makes sense for thin women to be shown by the company in order to make their product look better.

• I disagree with both. Natural slim/fit women yes, that is great. Fat women is a no. That is saying to the world that it is okay for people to be fat. There is no such thing as "big boned" Take an x-ray of a fat man, and there skeleton would be the same size as a skinny guy.

• OF COURSE!!!

• I would have no problem with that. As long as they're not obese, but just healthy plus-size girls I'd be all for it. The skinny anorexic look has just gotten too extreme.

• Plus sized models are too plus sized.

So no. I agree, I'm also tired of seeing annorexic models, but two wrongs don't make a right.

• *scoffs* Size 16-20 is too plus size? Really?

• i never mentioned any specific size...

Anyways, whatever size this is, i think she's too plus sized.
      www.plus-model-mag.com/.../image4861.jpg

• Except that looks like size 16-18 and it's a healthy normal for women who are over 22 and 5"6+. Might not be your preference but it's an under represented group. I have a friend who looks like that. She plays football and does kickboxing and her weight has no impact. No health problems. It's all too easy to assume that being larger than average is the worst thing that a person can do to themselves. :)

• Depends on how plus size they are. If they are plus size as in a normal woman weight, then that will be ideal. If you are talking plus size as in a woman that is more than 200 pounds then probably not.

• Ya, the only reason guys love skinny women (or whatever), is because they're glorified. If bigger women were glorified, they'd be the new attractive women. Remember, we fall for what the media tells us is hot

• Or how about we quit looking to others entirely for what we want validated or influenced in society? Why replace one standard of the female body for another? That doesn't strike me as being the best way to go about this whole thing.

• And by the way, it doesn't help your cause out any by splitting everything into camps, saying you are a "real woman" and implying that every girl that isn't like you is anorexic and fake.

What Girls Said 15

• I'm naturally thin and I'm pretty sure I'm 100% real.

Putting down a different body type from your own is wrong and I don't think that's a good example to show to your sister. The reality is, women come in all shapes and sizes and all of them are beautiful. Just because someone is skinny doesn't mean they are anorexic or not beautiful. There's nothing wrong with being a bigger woman either. I just think that body shaming anyone is rude and unnecessary.

• Wow, twice in one day. First time I think I have ever agreed with someone on two topics in a 24 hour span but, I fully agree with your statement here.

To add to it: I am utterly sick and tired of the minuscule amount of people complaining and trying to put down girls who are in shape/beautiful because they can't drag their asses out to get in shape. Not being skinny is one thing but to consider "big" women real while dismissing the slimmy slims is just despicable in my book and you should be ashamed of yourself (Asker).

• @med11 haha that's very interesting :) And yes, I agree with your thoughts as well.

• I'm pretty big, and I agree. I think magazines should have a mix though. And I also don't agree with bigger women as "real" women. We're still women who get hurt and love (so do men). The majority may seem... haughty, but I know for a fact they can be just as smart and amazing as us. And also, I used to think like that, but what you're doing is putting them down so you can feel better about yourself. And if I'm wrong and you aren't, sorry for my assumption. And sorry if this hurts. But I don't think there is any TRUE superior human.

• I don't look up to fashion models so I don't care. imma be honest, some of these plus size models do not wear the clothes well. if u go to asos. com, they have a plus size model that in my opinion doesn't look good in the clothes. why not get a cute size 6 hourglass or pear shape model?

• I work my ass off to be thin. So am I not real? The models who model clothing are real, whether you like it or not. Just because you are obviously insecure about your body doesn't make insulting thin girls all good. It's getting a little annoying how people keep calling every model "anorexic". Most models work very hard to be thin, they watch what they eat and exercise. They are real women, just like you and me are real. Why promote being overweight? Many clothes look best on thin women, that's why they're models. Whoever the clothes or makeup or whatnot looks best on should model.

• I dont agree at all that clothes look better on thin women just because they're thin. Thin women are beautiful too though. That I can agree with

• And its not promoting being overweight. Promoting a healthy lifestyle should be encouraged, as well as accepting all body types and not shaming one body type

• Fashion models work hard at starving themselves. Athletes and fitness models work hard at being fit not thin.

• I think women off all sizes should be represented in the media equally—and that all women should be referred to as "real women". People come in all different shapes and sizes, and it would be wonderful for younger children/teenagers to see all body types shown.

And, for the record, "anorexic" is NOT an adjective one should use to describe thin women.

• Not plus sized models, but use real women for once. show off bodies with stretch marks, scars, etc. so that we all know that our imperfections are ok and can be beautiful too.

same goes for men. use models of all shapes and sizes (well, ok, please don't use a 300 kg guy... cause that would just be promoting unhealthy lifestyles. same goes for women. no morbidly obese people.) but please, PLEASE, PLEASE, no back and shoulder hair. *shudder*

• I think that plus sized models should be regular models then there should be a few skinny models and a few actually plus sized models. Most plus sized models are size 4 so they're far from being plus sized.

• I don't see why there can't be a broad range of models like their are a broad range of people.

• I suppose thin women aren't real and are demonic? I mean I kinda agree with what you said initially but you ruined it.

1. I think models shouldn't be photoshopped. Beyond that I don't care if she's thin or fat.

2. All women are real women.

3. Being big isn't healthy, nor is being too thin. So lets not pretend being overweight is okay.

• I think it'd be good if they showed more variety, like the ones they do now but also the plus size models :)

• I agree with what you mean but why do you have to call bigger women "real women"? Yes, I dislike the media for highlighting thin/skinny as the only "beautiful" size, but saying that anything outside that category is "real" doesn't really make anyone in the right because it's body shaming. Why can't ever body type just be highlighted? What also matters is that they are healthy and comfortable in their skin, regardless of size etc.

• Yes!!! I was going to say the same thing! I have friends who are natually bigger and friends who are naturally smaller. And they are all "real". If they are alive they are real.

• Haha THANK YOU! I don't see what is so difficult to understand about the concept.

• of course but there should be a mixture because everyone is different so different models are great

• Of course. All body types are absolutely beautiful and id love to see more of them

• Absolutely!!! Beauty comes in all shapes & sizes :)

• yeah because you need to bring down other women to bring yourself up right? oh wait you can do that without bullying others. you know I've experienced way more body shaming as a naturally slim woman that any of my larger friends did through school and ever since then. I've been called anorexic, told to eat a burger, stick insect, im not a real woman, only a dog wants a bone etc. i dont see how being slim or skinny makes you a fake woman? every female is a real woman no matter what body type you might prefer.

its great that you're proud of your body but there's no need to bully others and shame a whole section of women the majority of which have never said a nasty thing about you or women that are larger. im so sick of this pc crap which allows ridiculing of a group of people by others but if those same others were ridiculed thered be the biggest kick off of outrage and discrimination.

• No they should not be seen more. WHy should plus size models be eating kfc and sushi when kids in Africa are starving to death.

• Most plus size models are size 4 so they are far from shoving their face full of fast food. Also eating less in developed countries isn't going to feed kids in Africa.

• Why should you bring up a point that is completely irrelevant? Yes, children are starving in Africa. But, no matter what country it is, some children are always starving. Don't bring up stupid points that do absolutely nothing for your argument.

In the modeling industry, you are officially plus-sized if you are a size eight or more. To put that into perspective, the average American woman's dress size is between 12 and 14.

Do your research before assuming, by "plus-sized", she means "fat" or "overweight", because, in the modeling industry, those words have completely different meanings.

• Just because you saved the money and donated it doesn't mean that's how it works on a large scale and like @madispute said, maybe you should actually research what something means before you go running your mouth.