People use to tell me that I have a very white skin, should I tan? (i'm a guy)

Hi everyone, during my life i was told by several friends that i had a super clear white skin, and called (not by just one of them) vampire! (@#$@%@) But i never quite minded it as they never bothered me because of that, quite friendly remarks...
I thought that i was going to get a darker face as get older in a natural way... but i'm in college and a girl in my class told me i have a "girl alike skin", which quite was annoying...
Do you think i should tan? I wouldn't as i dont mind it but you know, it is about my public image, i dont know how people see me...

Most Helpful Girl

• Whiter skin is mostly related to femininity because women would stay inside preferring more contained activities as opposed to running around outdoors, and in the past the home was always a woman's workplace, so less chance of tanning.
    There are many cultures who considered female whiteness a sign of "good breeding" and "aristocracy". You don't look more like a woman when very white, you only have a trait culturally perceived as womanly because it implies you live a sheltered life.

It won't make you much more attractive to tan, women get wet over that vampire dude that looks like a wall and sparkles. -_- But if you still want to, please do it naturally. That orange hue people get from fake tanning looks plain weird. D=

• I agree with you 100%, but i dont sparkle nor i look like a wall hahahahahahah! I was at the beach once and i was called by my uncles "Adams family" as they where driving and i was sleeping in the back seat with my cousin, they still dont know that i heard it lol, in the same day in the hotel, one of my aunts friends said i had a porcelain look (which was impossibly WTF'ing), that day got stuck in my mind for years. I just resumed thinking about it as it happened again in college. I was about 16 at the time, now im 21...

• Yeah ok you're sensitive about your looks. I get that. My dad called me fat in 5th grade. I still remember it and cringe. It kept me skinny, but it hurt like hell to hear it.
      I know I can't tell you to just forget it if it bothers you, but please try to let it go as much as you can. And again, please, if you tan, go outside and do it carefully so you don't get skin cancer. =)

• I dont think i am sensitive about it anymore, perhaps i used to be but i kind of out outgrew all of it, the thing is that i feel like a total outcast sometimes, living in a place were the beauty stereotype surrouds the tanned muscular man, sometimes i notice i get some looks for it, like a walking light bulb. But that dont bother me at all, not anymore, and i dont think i will get myself tanned, it is a characteristic from me, whether people like it or not :)
      And im sorry to hear (or read) that your father told you that, i've been bullied during a part of my childhood for being a "weird one" and its incredible how child can get affected by simple comments others not even care about.
      Thanks!

What Girls Said 4

• PLEASE don't !! I bet you and your guy friends have laughed over girls fake tanning and always going on about how natural is better and all that jazz. Do you ever see a girl with porcelain white skin and think yuck yuck she should tan? Probably not , and i know its not the same thing since you are a guy but come on when you date a girl do you seriously want to have your tanning routine in common? I know its a personal peeve but to me a guy with really pale skin can look really good and definitely not "feminine" if thats just the way he looks naturally. All of this is coming from an italian girl with the whitest skin you can imagine , i definitely feel like an outcast sometimes too :)

• Dont worry i dont think i ever will... Outcast, thats the word, sometimes i feel like one as i get some looks, but i got used and learnt how to like being different hahahh

• a picture would be helpful...
    personally I'm always trying to whitening my skin and not go to sun unnecessarily...

• Yes, you should tan.

• I love pale guys!!! Don't tan if YOU don't want to. After all tanning is bad for the skin! (I'm pale too.. but freckly XD)

• Even if you're under 18, that sounds attractive in concept.

• Oh that's good! XD Haha my BF hasn't got freckles either.. but he's still hot as well! :P

• sorry that was kind of random...

What Guys Said 4

• I have had a few people tell me that I should tan. I have never listened to them. I have grown sick and tired of watching white people bake under the sun, bake inside tanning beds, get showered with orangish chemicals, and so on, all in some stupid attempt to avoid looking like white people. It's a kind of self-hatred that I refuse to participate in. If someone doesn't like that I'm white, they can kiss my lily white ass.

• HAhahahahah you made me laugh, you seem a little bit angrier than me about it, i am not into baking myself as well, but once you get called "girly" by a girl, you start rethinking your looks, im simply researching on how people see

• Just because others nag you about something it doesn't mean you need to adhere to peer pressure. You are your own person for a reason, do whichever you prefer. I personally prefer pale girls and am trying to not tan too much, it's not good for your skin on the long term.

• a picture of your skin and body would help a lot to make a proper judgment.

• It's your body, and your skin. if you want to go ahead. but tanning isn't great for your skin.